me and my 920 lost a angry whopper camera off

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I would have said - fair enough, I'll come back when it's dark for a rematch, but in the meantime, send me your picture via NFC and lets see who's screen it looks best on then. Whaa... what's that? You don't have NFC?! Huh. . . Okay, you've got wireless charging though, right? :wink:

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and one more thing.....this is what you consider "difficult issues"?? Not surprising..
Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

What's surprising is that you took the literal definition of tact as my specific point of view. Honestly, I was hoping you would pause for a moment before you speak or in this case type out a response to someone with whom you do not share the same worldly view. At no point was I attempting to make light of you let alone your opinons, but it appears that you have directed your responses into that direction with the "not surprising" remark.

I should have picked up on the obvious trolling but my morning beverage has failed to wake me up fully. Here's to trying again at lunch in an hour.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I would have said - fair enough, I'll come back when it's dark for a rematch, but in the meantime, send me your picture via NFC and lets see who's screen it looks best on then. Whaa... what's that? You don't have NFC?! Huh. . . Okay, you've got wireless charging though, right? :wink:

Then follow up with this...

Yeah I've got to run, but could you mail me my coupon for a free Whopper? Just pull up my address on your maps application. Wait, you have an iPhone 5. Nevermind!

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
im returning my lumia 920 for htc one x+.. i pre-ordered the damn thing on the 8th of nov n i still dont have a working phone (dead pixel, battery life sucks).. i got a defective model and they agreed to send me a replacement device which is backordered lol its pathetic.. so tired.. i also have dust under FFC n my sis iPhone 5 does take really good pictures n we most the time take it during the day so it doesnt matter how well it performers at night but yaa.. really want this phone but it sucks (they only have black n red model available) n there are few things in WP8 that does not make sense n those really bothers me so im gonna go with android (had focus then Lumia 900 but cant support msft forever) some things they do just pisses me off

Good luck with that. HTC has terrible quality control. Get a Nexus 4, Optimus G, or Samsung Galaxy S3 instead. Or even an Xperia T.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I think he's been drinking his own Kool-Aid.

Well I actually agree with him on the Nokia fanboys. Or rather WP fanboys. Every platform has their fanboys and they are all terrible but WP has the unfortunate fate of being the least mature OS and so the WP fanboys have to make up for that with their extra "passion" and tend to make the most excuses, simply because they have to.

It's unfortunate, it hurts the platform but there is nothing we can do about that.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I haven't lost a picture battle yet, with still or video, even won over a Nexus 4. So I'm still saying it's the best camera out there:) and even with the little bit of softness, this can be cured by a software/firmware fix. No complaints.

Nexus 4 camera isn't the greatest so that is nothing to brag about. However, it does own in everything else except LTE and camera and for $299 unlocked, it just wins automatically.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 4 camera isn't the greatest so that is nothing to brag about. However, it does own in everything else except LTE and camera and for $299 unlocked, it just wins automatically.

Well, that escalated quickly!

I have to disagree. At $299 unlocked the device only has 8GB of onboard storage which just isn't going to be sufficient enough for every user out there. Add the extra $50 to double the storage and you are still only a stone's throw away from the Lumia 920 ($449.99 unlocked) that doubles the storage capacity and adds a better camera + LTE.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I have to disagree. At $299 unlocked the device only has 8GB of onboard storage which just isn't going to be sufficient enough for every user out there. Add the extra $50 to double the storage and you are still only a stone's throw away from the Lumia 920 ($449.99 unlocked) that doubles the storage capacity and adds a better camera + LTE.
I love the 8gb argument. Chances are pretty damn good that if 8gb isn't enough for you, neither is 32. That said, a phone without expandable storage isn't a top of the line imo.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I love the 8gb argument. Chances are pretty damn good that if 8gb isn't enough for you, neither is 32. That said, a phone without expandable storage isn't a top of the line imo.

From the offical page:

8GB or 16GB (actual formatted capacity will be less)

8GB of storage for a device is no longer acceptable. It's just not. Applications are larger, many people like to take their music collection with them on the go and should anyone want to take photos and store them locally they now have to consider sending things to the cloud sooner. Also keep in mind that while data speeds have increased and we are in an age of LTE that data plans are not unlimited with every carrier.

So the 8GB doesn't bother you - do you then manipulate and use your content through the cloud? What happens when your data connection is iffy? Compare streaming an HD movie on network or over Wi-Fi versus a locally stored file that will play at full resolution without buffering. 8GB is just paltry and a loss-leader for Google to draw users into their offering. 32GB on my phone is plenty, I still have around 20GB remaining. I would have had to clear out files on the 8GB a while ago. On the 16GB device I would have to make some tough choices but not nearly as much.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

I consider myself middle class and $100 is hardly a stone's throw away. Let's say that you are right though and a weeks worth of groceries isn't a lot(could be more than a weeks worth outside of Vancouver BC), you are forgetting that the technology packed in here is nothing short of the best that mobile phones have to offer. I am not talking about gimmicky stuff like a camera in low light or beats audio. This is straight out beefy value here since it includes the foundation of the phone, no I do not consider the camera to be a foundation. Just to be clear though, the Lumia 920 where I live is $549.99 and the Nexus 4 16gb is $359.99. Huge difference for double the ram and a quad core version of the dual core found in the Lumia 920.

To put this into perspective that even fan boys can understand. The CPU is twice the Lumia 920, literally. The ram is twice the Lumia 920, literally. The operating system and software is the state of art version of the leading or second place mobile operating system in the world(whether or not you hate Android or not is irrelevant because is still costs a lot to maintain and design and this is the top of line version of it and older phones like the GS3 still cost $600 when running older versions). The phone has maybe 2,3, or 4 times as many apps as the lumia 920. The screen is bigger and brighter at 600+ nits and 4.7 inches than the Lumia 920. It is also thinner and lighter than the Lumia 920 despite using glass on the back.

Sorry. For $299 and those specifications, it is unreal. The equivalent would be an Automobile company offering a car based off a Ferrari with a Ferrari engine for the price of a Corolla. The automobile equivalent of your saying is get a Acura TL instead, it is only 30 grand more and has power everything.

In the important areas like CPU, RAM, software, screen, battery charge cycle, price, battery size, physical profile the Nexus 4 wins easily in value.

The Lumia 920 wins in luxury things that are not even a prerequisite for a great phone like camera and LTE and using the phone with gloves. In fact, the only fundamental that the Lumia 920 wins in is storage space.

Last edited:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I consider myself middle class and $100 is hardly a stone's throw away. Let's say that you are right though and a weeks worth of groceries isn't a lot(could be more than a weeks worth outside of Vancouver BC), you are forgetting that the technology packed in here is nothing short of the best that mobile phones have to offer. I am not talking about gimmicky stuff like a camera in low light or beats audio. This is straight out beefy value here since it includes the foundation of the phone, no I do not consider the camera to be a foundation. Just to be clear though, the Lumia 920 where I live is $549.99 and the Nexus 4 16gb is $359.99. Huge difference for double the ram and a quad core version of the dual core found in the Lumia 920.

To put this into perspective that even fan boys can understand. The CPU is twice the Lumia 920, literally. The ram is twice the Lumia 920, literally. The operating system and software is the state of art version of the leading or second place mobile operating system in the world(whether or not you hate Android or not is irrelevant because is still costs a lot to maintain and design and this is the top of line version of it and older phones like the GS3 still cost $600 when running older versions). The phone has maybe 2,3, or 4 times as many apps as the lumia 920. The screen is bigger and brighter at 600+ nits and 4.7 inches than the Lumia 920. It is also thinner and lighter than the Lumia 920 despite using glass on the back.

Sorry. For $299 and those specifications, it is unreal. The equivalent would be an Automobile company offering a car based off a Ferrari with a Ferrari engine for the price of a Corolla. The automobile equivalent of your saying is get a Acura TL instead, it is only 30 grand more and has power everything.

In the important areas like CPU, RAM, software, screen, battery charge cycle, price, battery size, physical profile the Nexus 4 wins easily in value.

The Lumia 920 wins in luxury things that are not even a prerequisite for a great phone like camera and LTE and using the phone with gloves. In fact, the only fundamental that the Lumia 920 wins in is storage space.

While I agree the Nexus 4 is decent value for money, I disagree wholeheartedly that, in this day 'n age, the camera function is considered a gimmick and doesn't contribute towards the foundation of any smartphone. Personally, I would argue that 99% of the 300% more apps available in the Android marketplace could be deemed gimmicky.

Regarding the CPU, RAM, battery size, software, and physical profile - it's all very subjective. Android has always offered more of a 'pocket PC' experience which requires heavy lifting. WP is pretty streamlined blending some customisation, as well as the 'it just works' experience that Apple's iPhone offers. It's all about the user-experience; just because one platform needs as many cores as possible, it doesn't necessarily apply to all.

aabbcc123

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Ever wonder why platforms like iOS and Windows Phone never has Quad Core processors or as much ram as Android? Could it is because they don't need them? Just look at the iPhone 5 benchmark, its dual cores there easily beat many of the quad core Android phones, even in real world usage the iPhone 5 easily equals or bests its quad core competitors. Optimisation is key here, if the platform is optimised, it naturally doesn't need as many cores/ram as one that isn't as optimised. I'm not joking when I say my iPhone 5 or Lumia 920 doesn't get bogged down like my dad's S3 despite "only" having dual core processors(it is usually here people tell me I have to root the Android device to 'unlock its true potential'). Don't take my word for it, just play with both devices.

I can see where you are coming from the rest of your post though, I just find it irritating that people use quad core/ram as a benchmark at how great Android phones are, it isn't, okay? Having quad cores isn't that big an advantage manufacturers are making it out to be.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Ever wonder why platforms like iOS and Windows Phone never has Quad Core processors or as much ram as Android? Could it is because they don't need them? Just look at the iPhone 5 benchmark, its dual cores there easily beat many of the quad core Android phones, even in real world usage the iPhone 5 easily equals or bests its quad core competitors. Optimisation is key here, if the platform is optimised, it naturally doesn't need as many cores/ram as one that isn't as optimised. I'm not joking when I say my iPhone 5 or Lumia 920 doesn't get bogged down like my dad's S3 despite "only" having dual core processors(it is usually here people tell me I have to root the Android device to 'unlock its true potential'). Don't take my word for it, just play with both devices.

I can see where you are coming from the rest of your post though, I just find it irritating that people use quad core/ram as a benchmark at how great Android phones are, it isn't, okay? Having quad cores isn't that big an advantage manufacturers are making it out to be.

Especially considering battery consumption. :)

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The processor and RAM on the Nexus 4 don't make it a better phone. Literally. Compared to dual-core and single-core devices the Nexus 4 doesn't necessarily do things better or all that much faster than other Android devices. Literally.

The hardware in the Lumia 920 was designed to run Windows Phone 8. Operation of this device is smooth and overall a satisfying experience. The same could be said of the hardware inside the latest iPhone - it too was designed to run iOS 6 the best way possible. Android is to mobile phones as Linux is to destkop PC's. The issue isn't necessarily the OS itself but the various fragments that get created with every hardware / software change. I almost bought a Nexus 4 - $350 off contract for the 16GB model isn't bad. But the lack of LTE, a so-so camera and no expandable memory made me take pause. Now if it was 16GB on board with the option to expand upon that and had AT&T LTE support it would be a winner for me.

Yes, the Lumia doesn't have expandable storage but 32GB is still four times the storage on the $299 Nexus 4. Enjoy watching one HD movie on the device along with about 150 photos and a CD worth of music. I kid. You can probably get two CD's worth of music.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Quad core is a waste on mobile phones. There's nothing that uses them and the same gor 2 gigs of ram. Its a great way to future proof your divice. The nexus doesn't need lte. I wish my Lumia 920 didn't have it or at least had an off switch. Its a battery hog . The one thin that kills the nexus foe me is the glass in the back . I won't ever buy a phone with glass on the back.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Quad core is a waste on mobile phones. There's nothing that uses them and the same gor 2 gigs of ram. Its a great way to future proof your divice. The nexus doesn't need lte. I wish my Lumia 920 didn't have it or at least had an off switch. Its a battery hog . The one thin that kills the nexus foe me is the glass in the back . I won't ever buy a phone with glass on the back.

What about glass on the front? ;)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720