I'm starting to regret my decision to buy a Lumia 920

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumit8

May 5, 2012
Visit site
The 920 is a beautiful device but apparently Microsoft does not want me to communicate with it...

1. No WhatsApp
2. No Facebook-Chat integration
3. Skype has serious Bugs and caused Texts and E-Mails not to work anymore
4. No Skype (because of #3)

As much as i love WP and Nokia, i can't recommend the phone to anyone right now and i can't even use it on a daily basis. It is like i'm cut off from friends and family. At least from their main communication channels.
Totally frustrating.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
No facebook chat integration?

I could have sworn I spent about 3 weeks facebookchatting with NO issues whatsoever on my device... strange. Youre sure?

I can use it myself on main communication channels, since I can sms, email, phone, use viber and use fb chat. So I would recommend it.

The fact that you wont recommend the phone to ANYONE is insane, what if your friend doesnt rely on whatsapp and doesnt really need skype? Basing recommendations on own preference is absurd. I can absolutely recommend SGS3 to anyone, and SGS2, but I still wouldnt buy them myself. But if thats what suits them, Id recommend them.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The 920 is a beautiful device but apparently Microsoft does not want me to communicate with it...

1. No WhatsApp

As much as i love WP and Nokia, i can't recommend the phone to anyone right now and i can't even use it on a daily basis. It is like i'm cut off from friends and family. At least from their main communication channels.
Totally frustrating.

While I appreciate your opinion, who is to say that anyone elses needs are the same as yours?

Not one single point you wrote about concern me in any way. I would highly recommend this phone to anyone.

Sumit8

May 5, 2012
Visit site
sorry but as long as friends, family and co-workers use WhatsApp on a Daily Basis, Skype for Calls over the Internet and the Facebook-Chat for main communication i can't recommend it. How? And how do you guys don't have that problem?!

There are posts here in the forums about how the FB-Chat integration doesn't work anymore. Never worked for me on WP8. Did work on WP7.5 but not anymore, at least on my 900.
Whatsapp is pulled from the App Store so unless you got it installed allready - there is no WhatsApp for new buyers.
The Skype Bugs appear not to everyone but they could and if i recommend a phone to someone not as tech savy as we are and he can't do the basic stuff he can do on her iPhone or GS3 or whatever... how would you "defend" your recommendation?

Especially the Skype thing is really critical. It blocked all Texts and E-Mails... if i just want to do cellular calls i don't need to spend 650€ ;)

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I kind of agree with you. But in the defence of windows phone, there is no doubt that the Skype integration will eventually come and will be the best on any mobile device. Secondly the whatsapp team had reportedly said that the updated app will come out in about 3 weeks from now and will be 6x faster. FB chat integration seems to be hit or miss, with some people getting crappy service while others have no problems whatsoever. Hopefully with the Portico update things will get better across the board.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
sorry but as long as friends, family and co-workers use WhatsApp on a Daily Basis, Skype for Calls over the Internet and the Facebook-Chat for main communication i can't recommend it. How?

You said "anyone", not "people with my exact pattern of use" :) . Not arguing semantics, I just thought you meant "anyone".

And how do you guys don't have that problem?!

There are posts here in the forums about how the FB-Chat integration doesn't work anymore. Never worked for me on WP8. Did work on WP7.5 but not anymore, at least on my 900.
Whatsapp is pulled from the App Store so unless you got it installed allready - there is no WhatsApp for new buyers.
The Skype Bugs appear not to everyone but they could and if i recommend a phone to someone not as tech savy as we are and he can't do the basic stuff he can do on her iPhone or GS3 or whatever... how would you "defend" your recommendation?

Well, I have no idea how people HAVE the fb-chat problem, it worked flawlessly for me all the time I had my phone.
I dont use Whatsapp since noone I know uses it, but several do use Viber, which works fine for messaging. Not that I use it alot since I have about 3000 included SMS.
When I had Skype installed nothing bad happened, other than my App list was 1 item longer. Thats it.
Add to that the tons of things I do like about WP8, and its quite easy to recommend it.

Especially the Skype thing is really critical. It blocked all Texts and E-Mails... if i just want to do cellular calls i don't need to spend 650€ ;)

That issue I havent come across myself, but yeah that does sound bad. Course, its just an uninstall to fix it and wait for the full Skype to release, I guess. Again; with my use Skype isnt a big deal. Cute to have, not essential for me. However, different people have different use.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
The Skype thing is almost laughable considering Microsoft owns the damn thing. I don't know WTH are they doing with it to make it take so long. It's not even a delayed SDK situation. Both the Windows Phone team and Skype team work under Microsoft. It should have been available in finished form on day 1. Meanwhile iOS got a decent update only a few days ago making the app even more awesome than previous. Guess even Microsoft knows where their priority lies.

ZiCoN_dk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The Skype thing really bugs me too... Coming from a series of Android phones, I've relied on google talk to chat, and thought Skype would be a perfect alternative since there's absolutely NO goggle talk app that works stable enough, incl gChat which I like, but it just doesn't work. I need a chat app I don't have to log in or open all the time, to check if there are messages.

RyanR47

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
While I love my lumia 920, I find social integration on windows phones more like jack of all trades master of nothing. I have immense problem with facebook chat, as well as lack of features like viewing attachments.
I don't understand how some people can defend Microsofts handling of skype. Yes I know when its out it will be awesome, but it should never take this long.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

1. No WhatsApp

Totally frustrating.

Have you given the built in Facebook integration a try. Windows Phone is a different way of doing things its all there you just have to give it a chance. As stated above Facebook chat works fine for me. Here is more information on WhatsApp <link. Hang in there in this one its coming. To note Microsoft just upgraded its OS exponentially it was a huge undertaking. That's no excuse for sure I agree that Microsoft needs to get moving on the small things now like Skype integration and get it done.

Yeah why the heck is Skype still only a preview when Windows Phone 8 is already out?

Probably because its not ready yet? How's about trying to help the OP for a change?

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had a Lumia 900 , Titan 2 & 8x. FB chat works great thru the messaging function. You may not have it set up properly.
Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
sorry but as long as friends, family and co-workers use WhatsApp on a Daily Basis, Skype for Calls over the Internet and the Facebook-Chat for main communication i can't recommend it. How? And how do you guys don't have that problem?!

I don't have that problem because everyone I know can afford unlimited SMS so they don't need to use WhatsApp. I don't even use Skype on my phone and I don't use Facebook chat either.

Sumit8

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the Feedback. I dis-and reconnected my FB-Account on live.com and it seemed to do the trick. FB-Chat is working now.
One thing less to worry about.
Thanks David for the info on WhatsApp. WhatsApp is an important App here and neither FB-Chat nor Skype can currently replace it simply because of the file-transfers and huge userbase.
I hope the WhatsApp-Team includes links in the profiles (like skype and fb-chat) an so on.
And yes, Microsoft needs to get a move on skype. Not only on WP but on Windows 8 as well. I don't understand why they don't pull it from the store as long as it can cause such critical bugs like these:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d-in-wp8/4c571a02-4524-476a-87fb-422892da82bf

I allready wrote Nokia about other issues i have (like random reboots and so on) and i'll wait what they say about it.
I'll defenitely keep the phone but it is frustrating to always wait for the next update to fix basic stuff that "just works" on other platforms.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't have that problem because everyone I know can afford unlimited SMS so they don't need to use WhatsApp. I don't even use Skype on my phone and I don't use Facebook chat either.
stop confusing real-time instant messaging with SMS messages. They are not the same thing. Ever chatted with someone for an hour on google talk/msn messenger or facebook? Ever chatted for an hour over SMS? NOT the same thing.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by socialcarpet<br />
<br />
stop confusing real-time instant messaging with SMS messages. They are not the same thing. Ever chatted with someone for an hour on google talk/msn messenger or facebook? Ever chatted for an hour over SMS? NOT the same thing.
They seem to work the same for me. Is SMS not real time?

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
They seem to work the same for me. Is SMS not real time?

No it's not the same thing. Have you never used an IM service before? As the name suggests, instant messaging is INSTANT which is why it's used for 'chatting'. SMS is not instant. It's the difference between talking on a landline and a CB Radio.

Sumit8

May 5, 2012
Visit site
well SMS does not arrive late, at least here. For me the big difference is: the other person does not have to use a phone. And file transfers. Thats why IMs like WhatsApp, Skype or FB-Chat are better.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
No it's not the same thing. Have you never used an IM service before? As the name suggests, instant messaging is INSTANT which is why it's used for 'chatting'. SMS is not instant. It's the difference between talking on a landline and a CB Radio.

I disagree I use Facebook chat on my device to talk with my wife during the day. It is instant if you are not seeing the same thing you should check your connection maybe your CB signal is faulty... :excited:

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
hahahaha I have a phone and I'm cut off from people. There is this amazing thing you can do with a phone...you can call and talk to people. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb