I'm starting to regret my decision to buy a Lumia 920

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi Sin

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused... I have whatsapp on my Lumia 920?

one of my lumia 920 have whatsapp but the other don't have
basically because on 1 dec whatsapp developer remove the app and say it is not compatable to wp 8 and i have been mailing them to bring it back but basically they don't seems to be interested at all.. so basically i email/sms all my 1000 over contacts to change to LINE instead.. whatsapp is the one that is not willing to release it to wp8 at the moment.. so if they don't care for users i don't know why i should bother about whatsapp.. cos many other apps can do the same like LINE, Kakaotalk,ChatOn..

basically sdk of wp8 was release in end nov , maybe thats why developer have no time to update it.. I personally bought whatsapp on my Note 1 and S3 but if they think wp8 is not worth the time to do it, then i think its not worth for me to support them at all but sadly i already paid for whatsapp on my note 1 n s3.

of cos wp 8 does not have as much apps as andriod or Iphone but i am sure it will grow and now lumia 920 is my main phone.. my note 1 is basically sitting as a spare now.

awsman

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the world of early adoption. Most non-app issues that people are really screaming about will be fixed with the update that's coming early '13. The apps are reliant on the app developer, so that's harder to say.

As far as the initial complaints and a few others raised in the thread:

I have never used WhatsApp and don't know anyone else that does, so I can't speak to that.

My FB chat is fully integrated without a FB developed app. If FB chooses to make one, we'll have two options for FB chatting.

I don't use skype, although I'd like to. I hope they get their bugs ironed out.

I've seen this in a couple of threads, people complaining about having to reboot/restart their phones because they've locked up. I've had mine since 10 a.m. on Nov. 9th. I haven't hard to restart or reboot once because of a lock. It's worked exceptionally well and I love it. I think a lot of issues people are having are from being early adopters and the bugs are still there. Give it an update before you really start complaining. If your business is so phone-dependent that you can't wait that long, go ahead and switch.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
The Skype thing really bugs me too... Coming from a series of Android phones, I've relied on google talk to chat, and thought Skype would be a perfect alternative since there's absolutely NO goggle talk app that works stable enough, incl gChat which I like, but it just doesn't work. I need a chat app I don't have to log in or open all the time, to check if there are messages.

I am not sure your issue with GChat. It works fine for me. I have the paid version though and it stays logged in for 24 hours. If you get a message, you get toast notifcations and a live tile counter. Not sure what much you can ask for. It admittedly is a little sluggish, but does a good job overall.

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
sorry but as long as friends, family and co-workers use WhatsApp on a Daily Basis, Skype for Calls over the Internet and the Facebook-Chat for main communication i can't recommend it. How? And how do you guys don't have that problem?!
Is this guy serious? Honest to goodness, I had no clue that people don't just get the unlimited text plan...this blows my mind. Whatsapp?? Is this a joke? Skype would be cool for an occasional video chat, but that's a novelty at best. Facebook Chat?? Again, you should have unlimited SMS.

Mind boggling.

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
stop confusing real-time instant messaging with SMS messages. They are not the same thing. Ever chatted with someone for an hour on google talk/msn messenger or facebook? Ever chatted for an hour over SMS? NOT the same thing.
This is just nonsensical...they are 100% EXACTLY the same thing.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Here's a summary of this thread:

Cry
Cry
Moan
Whine
Complain
Rage!!!!!!
Anger
******-ism
Screw you Microsoft!!!!!!
Android is so much better!
Screw this, I'm not reading 10 pages.

:straight:

Don't like your phone? Get a new one.

The End.

OldSkoolVWLover

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Exactly SMS is instant on my device if its not on yours you have device -signal issues...

I'm with Dave, SMS has been pretty much instant on every device I have owned for at least five years. The one time I wasn't receiving my SMS instantly it was a device glitch that was finally fixed by wiping my device profile and re-adding. (I don't buy phones as often as some, but 5 years covers 9 phones on both CDMA and GSM carriers). Technically covers many OS's as my friends that I SMS with carry a variety of Android and iOS devices.

@OP, I am with the others that have no need for any of the services you are missing. 99% of the time I am marked as offline for FB chat, don't use skype or whatsapp. I do appreciate your feedback though as this information will be important for some.

My reason for replying to you is to remind you of something that you touched on about something working in 7.5 and not yet working on 8. One of the issues MS created when they made their WP8 announcements (and support levels for say the Lumia 900) is they kinda threw developers under a bus (between a rock and a hard place, etc). To maintain current userbase (like you mentioned the people that aren't tech geeks, these people aren't dropping their 900, or whatever WP7 device, months after purchase to get a brand new WP8 device) developers still have to support their WP7 apps, while starting over for WP8. I don't know a large amount about developing for WP, but we all have seen the same thing happen for other platforms when "legacy devices" (hate that term) are announced to not be receiving XYZ capability that new devices will have. So as Dave said, be patient and those things will come as WP in general evolves to WP8.

Also instead of saying you won't recommend, maybe you let people know what the phone can and can't do for you, as your problems with the phone seem to be pretty specific and not an overall usability thing for all smartphone users.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
All I want is my circle of contacts to settle on an app and use it for communication. I have to many people who refuse to give us SMS. Sadness.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Never thought I'd say this but I'm starting to regret it as well. All of the sudden I can't send text messages, and my Microsoft account is constantly trying to sync. Apparently this is a widespread problem and there's no solution to it. Epic fail.

*EDIT: Seems to suddenly be working again. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Seriously these whine threads make me sick in the stomach a little.. Every phone has its glitches and bugs that's what updates are fore. So far I have no problems with my L920 at all, loving every bits and pieces of it

Spdracer

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I definitely regret my decision to switch to WP8 (Nokia 920 and 820).
Why?
1. Battery. I have to charge at least 3 times a day. I have everything turned off and rarely use it at work. It just sits there and I watch the battery drain.
2. Apps, I knew apps were scarce coming in, but all we ever hear is they're coming. Plus the apps I need say they have no plans to support WP. Must have is a tracking app. My wife wants me to know where she is late at night.
3. Phones freeze daily. Especially my wife's 820. She travels late at night an needs her phone.
4. Support. Nokia support is the worst. Yes Elop will send out a canned answer and Macy will call, but then nothing. Been over a month since I've heard from them.
5. OS/Software glitches... Again, it coming and it's coming, and it's coming.
6. Live tiles do not update real time. What good is Battery Status live tile if I have to open the app to see the level?
7. Charging pad will not charge 920 to full charge.
8. Reception is terrible. We didn't have this problem until getting 920 and 820.

I love WP8 and Microsoft is great. But it's not ready for Primetime, apps or not. I'm past my 14 day return window due to promises from Nokia support that haven't come true so I am stuck. I will not recommend this phone to anyone.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Never thought I'd say this but I'm starting to regret it as well. All of the sudden I can't send text messages, and my Microsoft account is constantly trying to sync. Apparently this is a widespread problem and there's no solution to it. Epic fail.

I had the same problem this morning. Found a thread on these forums(sorry can't post a link at the moment) that indicated it was tied to Skype. I uninstalled it, did a soft reset and everything is working fine now. If you don't have Skype, I'm not sure what it could be.

I was ready to go to AT&T until I saw that thread. I'm currently on my 4th black 920. I love the phone and WP8 but I've had to return 2 phones for build issues and 1 because I bricked it doing a factory reset(before the fix was posted on the forums).

I don't know if I'm just very unlucky or if I just keep getting phones from a bad batch. I have a couple of colleagues that have a black and red 920 and they have had zero issues.

The last couple of days this latest 920 has started exhibiting the creaking in the top right and bottom left of the phone. It's getting worse and I can hear it now just picking the phone up.
The camera housing is not flush with the body either. There is a pronounced lip on the back of the phone where the housing meets the body. Two of the other black 920s I had this as well.

I haven't had any of the other issues most have reported such as battery life. Other than build issues I've been happy with the phone for the most part.

jukka from finland

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
So far only one problem, Call Recording seems to be denied
I cannot see any reason, but between lines it seems that it is politically denied.
Could someone answer, why that kind of very important feature is permanently denied from everyone

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
My FB chat is fully integrated without a FB developed app. If FB chooses to make one, we'll have two options for FB chatting.

The FB chat is far from a perfect implementation - it does not support group chat, images, offline messages... And it's constantly broken and unreliable.

Is this guy serious? Honest to goodness, I had no clue that people don't just get the unlimited text plan...this blows my mind. Whatsapp?? Is this a joke? Skype would be cool for an occasional video chat, but that's a novelty at best. Facebook Chat?? Again, you should have unlimited SMS.

Mind boggling.

There is actually a world outside of the US, you know? Not everybody can get unlimited SMS. And there are other reasons why people don't want to use SMS.

@OP, I am with the others that have no need for any of the services you are missing. 99% of the time I am marked as offline for FB chat, don't use skype or whatsapp. I do appreciate your feedback though as this information will be important for some.

That's cool for you, but other people have other needs. And you only need to look at this thread to see that. For example there are about a billion Facebook users out there and a pretty big part of those users rely on the Facebook chat.

Maybe try not being so close minded?

palfor03

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
What's app is coming. They are optimizing it right now for maximum performance on wp8.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

OldSkoolVWLover

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
That's cool for you, but other people have other needs. And you only need to look at this thread to see that. For example there are about a billion Facebook users out there and a pretty big part of those users rely on the Facebook chat.

Maybe try not being so close minded?

Not close minded at all, my point was only to state you cannot recommend the phone to anyone assumes EVERYONE needs FB chat (as an example). That is close minded, all I was doing is reminding the OP that all phones have issues, and what he listed are not big for everyone, compared to some of the other issues listed on these forums. I think I clearly demonstrated this in thanking the OP as his feedback will be important for some.

In general mobile FB implementation as a whole is horrible on every platform, I have yet to find a platform that someone doesn't have a complaint about one aspect or another of some FB implementation, this includes iOS and Android as well as WP, webOS, and Blackberry.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Not close minded at all, my point was only to state you cannot recommend the phone to anyone assumes EVERYONE needs FB chat (as an example). That is close minded, all I was doing is reminding the OP that all phones have issues, and what he listed are not big for everyone, compared to some of the other issues listed on these forums. I think I clearly demonstrated this in thanking the OP as his feedback will be important for some.

It's not just the FB chat - it's all the WP8 issues combined that make it difficult to recommend WP8 to anybody right now. Myself, I have to agree with the notion that right now (emphasis on "right now") I would not recommend a WP8 phone to anybody. And mind you, I equiped my whole family with WP7 phones. Go figure...

In general mobile FB implementation as a whole is horrible on every platform, I have yet to find a platform that someone doesn't have a complaint about one aspect or another of some FB implementation, this includes iOS and Android as well as WP, webOS, and Blackberry.

They might not be perfect but they are all better than WP. The Facebook app on iOS for example is pretty much flawless.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I definitely regret my decision to switch to WP8 (Nokia 920 and 820).
Why?
1. Battery. I have to charge at least 3 times a day. I have everything turned off and rarely use it at work. It just sits there and I watch the battery drain.
2. Apps, I knew apps were scarce coming in, but all we ever hear is they're coming. Plus the apps I need say they have no plans to support WP. Must have is a tracking app. My wife wants me to know where she is late at night.
3. Phones freeze daily. Especially my wife's 820. She travels late at night an needs her phone.
4. Support. Nokia support is the worst. Yes Elop will send out a canned answer and Macy will call, but then nothing. Been over a month since I've heard from them.
5. OS/Software glitches... Again, it coming and it's coming, and it's coming.
6. Live tiles do not update real time. What good is Battery Status live tile if I have to open the app to see the level?
7. Charging pad will not charge 920 to full charge.
8. Reception is terrible. We didn't have this problem until getting 920 and 820.

I love WP8 and Microsoft is great. But it's not ready for Primetime, apps or not. I'm past my 14 day return window due to promises from Nokia support that haven't come true so I am stuck. I will not recommend this phone to anyone.

1. You should have that fixed, its not normal. Tried discharging it until it turns off, then turning it on again and draining it until it turns off and you can not turn it back on, then charging it for 18ish hours straight? Lots of people have had help in doing that.
2. Sad to hear about the tracking apps, are there none out there? Well, apps is a big pill to swallow when being an early adopter, sadly.
3. Thats very sad. You obviously have tried everything, disabling NFC, setting it to 3g max instead of 4g if you dont have 4g, etc?
4. Nokia is pretty good at support IME, and updates are coming, thank god. Might be different in your region.
5. Which ones? Personally I havent seen any OS/SW glitches yet.
6. Does the battery app run in the background? If it doesnt, of course it wont display correctly. If it does and STILL doesnt work, thats plain sad. My Live Tiles work just fine, but thats not 3rd party tiles so its probably different.
7. ORLY? Thats new :eek: . I dont have a pad myself atm, but... really? This isnt related to your battery issues? Try the tip at #1 and see if perhaps that changes things for you guys?
8. Eh, reception is exactly the same as my N9 and Lumia 800. Though if memory serves, my SGS3 had better reception.

You shouldnt condemn the phone based on your faulty devices and the lack of apps which is a very personal thing. I get how you would, Im just saying it might not be a good reason to avoid recommending the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)