I'm starting to regret my decision to buy a Lumia 920

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSkoolVWLover

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My regret isn't with the device or operating system but AT&T is just screwing me sideways. They've made me really regret buying this device, because I've bought it at full retail and have had some issues with my Matte Cyan version. I'm trying to get a warranty replacement and they keep giving me the run around it's been two weeks. Of course when I brought the phone in while it was still in it's 14 day period all they did was a master reset but my phone still has all the same issues. Now I'm past my 14 days and they won't even send me a damn device. They keep trying to offer me a Matte Black version, am I being too demanding in asking for the color I paid full retail for?

Have you tried contacting Nokia as well? Also are you going to corporate store or third party retailer (I know this was a problem with Sprint for some folks, getting different answers/service at different stores). The carrier should be helping you, but Nokia is the one actually warrantying the product.

gladesmellzgood

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried contacting Nokia as well? Also are you going to corporate store or third party retailer (I know this was a problem with Sprint for some folks, getting different answers/service at different stores). The carrier should be helping you, but Nokia is the one actually warrantying the product.

Yea I think I'll try them soon depending on how this goes with AT&T. They've said they will contact me tomorrow and see if they can do something.

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Wrong and here is why...Not displayed without launching an app.

Sorry nothing beats the dedicated camera button... You should try using a Windows Phone I have zero issues with implementation...

Updates started today its fun watching Microsoft scratch off one by one all the excuses of the naysayers. In the end we will be left with nothing for some to complain about and we will still have a dedicated camera button, the best keyboard on any OS, Live Tiles, XBOX integration, real Office Hub, etc...etc...etc... the list goes on and on StevesBalls.

Your posts are painful to read, but then I realize you are probably being paid a nice chunk by uncle Balmer.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Your posts are painful to read, but then I realize you are probably being paid a nice chunk by uncle Balmer.

So just because he finds the phone good for his needs and gives justification for it he's obviously being paid a nice chunk by Uncle Balmer!? {sarcasm}Ok, if you're that upset with Microsoft, go and murder every single employee so you can kill off WP like you obviously want to... After all, they can't work on WP if there's no staff and then Android and iOS can be left to rule...{/sarcasm} - I'm in agreement with Dave Blake. However, I accept there are some flaws, but people are exaggerating some issues. Of course, I accept that's coming from both sides but still...

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
This phone sucks!

No, this phone sucks!

NO! THIS PHONE sucks!!!!!

See, it doesn't really matter which make or model you put into the sentence. You still sound like a douche nozzle. It's fun being a phone snob, but some people are in it more for the experience than to tout their specific phone (model a, from 20XX, which is better because "x" feature was added) because in the end if the OS doesn't provide a way for the Nokia's HTC's and Samsung's of the world to make high-end devices that are feature-rich then you have nothing.

I want my Nokia 3360 back.

/get off my lawn

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
?
The dedicated camera button on WP8 is a novelty, nothing more.
On an iPhone, a camera icon is present on the lock screen. You slide it up (instead of sliding across to unlock the screen), and boom, you're in camera mode.

There may be things you can give WP8 credit for doing better than iOS but access to the camera ain't one of them.

Ah, ok so because iOS is almost as easy it is not better in WP? It may not be "much" better than iOS, but it's still 1 action vs 2, plus it's something you single-handed without even looking at the screen at all. So, it actually is better.

Anyway, calling the camera button a novelty isn't true either. It's a 2-stage key that you can half-push to focus and hold it until the instant you want to capture. This is very useful in certain situations.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I want a three stage camera key.

1) Focus
2) Takes the shot
3) Automatically tweets to brag that you have a three stage camera button and it isn't a novelty.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
?
The dedicated camera button on WP8 is a novelty, nothing more.
On an iPhone, a camera icon is present on the lock screen. You slide it up (instead of sliding across to unlock the screen), and boom, you're in camera mode.

There may be things you can give WP8 credit for doing better than iOS but access to the camera ain't one of them.

I don't know. Its kind of nice having a button to press that leaves one less tile I need to pin in the screen

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Its probably quite similar in most countries nowadays, but my point was more that the majority of people probably use IMs over SMSs, and for good reason.

I'm actually a little disappointed there isn't better support for IRC applications, not being able to idle on my phone makes me feel cut off from the geek world :(

god, is IRC still around? I haven't used that in years. Thought web based chat replaced it.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Since when is SMS not instant? So does it take 2 seconds versus 1 second because here it pops very fast

my whole problem with Im is that it uses my data plan that is capped with significant charges for overages. The big carriers are now pushing unlimited voice and SMS. Why should I use im when I get SMS for free?

PappesHartley

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
my whole problem with Im is that it uses my data plan that is capped with significant charges for overages. The big carriers are now pushing unlimited voice and SMS. Why should I use im when I get SMS for free?
I agree 100% SMS is unlimited with our plan. I have no need to us IM

Anirudh Sarma

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I dont understand why people like the OP invest in a nascent software platform. In fact i am sick of these people *****ing about this app or that app not being there. The forum/internet provides prior information about what a platform offers and what doesn't. An informed buyer knows what he wants and does a bit of research from before. For example before i got the lumia 920 i thought that i would be unable to sync or use my gmail account as my primary account on the 920. But a little research clarified this doubt. One person here recently was *****ing about spotify not being available. If you want a app without which you cannot survive look it up before buying the phone.

On another note dont invest in a nascent platform if you dont believe in its potential and look for steady and alternative platforms. I had faith in android 2 years back and my first smartphone was a legend running on eclair (which was very very buggy) but i stuck to it and used the phone for a year or so.

Oh god i dont understand these "i wanna return my phone threads". dont like it give it back. But just cause one lousy app is not present doesnt mean you will not recommend the phone to anyone. In a matter of one month the OPs problems have been resolved. You just need a little patience i guess

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree Anirudh. Plus, I don't understand why people have such a hard time accepting alternative apps. In most case viable options exist. If its important to be using what everyone on other platforms is using... then they should get that platform or be prepared to wait.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree Anirudh. Plus, I don't understand why people have such a hard time accepting alternative apps. In most case viable options exist. If its important to be using what everyone on other platforms is using... then they should get that platform or be prepared to wait.

Here’s the thing – if I want to manage my bank accounts on my device I should be doing this on:

1. The official mobile banking app of my institution
  2. An alternative app since my bank has yet to put out an app
OK, that example might be unfair. But the general idea is taking a product or service, and rather than using an official client designed for seamless integration the user(s) are relying on a third-party application to fill the gap left by the developer. Would I love a Google produced Youtube app that flows with the Metro UI? Yes, and arguably it would be more visually appealing than what they offer on Android.
If a company, say Google for instance, makes a change to the way it implements something (IMAP?) and changes the way third-party applications access their services then who is going to quicker to respond to change? Google, or the people behind Metrotube? It doesn’t mean the Metrotube application is poorly made, it just means that it is going to be slightly slower to receive updates in that regard. Google can modify its services to its heart’s content. This isn’t a conversation about the alleged evil Google commits on a regular basis. What it boils down to us who can (and should) provide you with the best out of the box experience. Shouldn’t it be Google? Dropbox. Evernote? Netflix? Opera?
Alternative apps aren’t bad. They are different. They could be better, they could be worse. Sometimes alternative apps lead to refinement on the official application to keep up. But, no one should feel like they have to settle for official or third-party applications. Pick the one you want – this is the beauty of choice.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
How many times has this thread come back from dead, it is unbelievable. I think this thread needs to be buried so deep that even the deepest spot on Middle Earth is closer than this thread.

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Here?s the thing ? if I want to manage my bank accounts on my device I should be doing this on:

1. The official mobile banking app of my institution
  2. An alternative app since my bank has yet to put out an app
OK, that example might be unfair. But the general idea is taking a product or service, and rather than using an official client designed for seamless integration the user(s) are relying on a third-party application to fill the gap left by the developer. Would I love a Google produced Youtube app that flows with the Metro UI? Yes, and arguably it would be more visually appealing than what they offer on Android.
If a company, say Google for instance, makes a change to the way it implements something (IMAP?) and changes the way third-party applications access their services then who is going to quicker to respond to change? Google, or the people behind Metrotube? It doesn?t mean the Metrotube application is poorly made, it just means that it is going to be slightly slower to receive updates in that regard. Google can modify its services to its heart?s content. This isn?t a conversation about the alleged evil Google commits on a regular basis. What it boils down to us who can (and should) provide you with the best out of the box experience. Shouldn?t it be Google? Dropbox. Evernote? Netflix? Opera?
Alternative apps aren?t bad. They are different. They could be better, they could be worse. Sometimes alternative apps lead to refinement on the official application to keep up. But, no one should feel like they have to settle for official or third-party applications. Pick the one you want ? this is the beauty of choice.

You forgot one: an Android device.

You always have that choice if you want an up to date YouTube application that plays nice with Google's concept of ever-changing APIs. Microsoft can't force Google to write an application for WP, just like Google can't force Apple to port iMovie to Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99