Windows 8 commercials with the HTC 8X instead of the Lumia 920?

contributorM

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
All of the Windows 8 commercials I've seen so far features the HTC 8x. The Lumia is only mentioned, displayed, held lol, when the speaker wants to talk about the camera. I know they are both great phones, but what's up with that? lol.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
They are out there... the Jessica Alba commercial has the 920 and I think Cam Newton's commercial features the 920 as well. I think Gwen Stephanie is the 8X user in the group though.

Plus it's not a bad thing for HTC to get a little bit of the spot light. The company could do a better job of promoting the 8X and 8S so it's nice to see them featured here and there.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone 8 needs to be successful on a multitude of devices to compete with the likes of Google and Apple. There is more to Windows Phone than Nokia, and as the 8X is available on multiple carriers it is important to market the device to consumers that might not be prepared to switch carriers in order to use the Lumia 920. Without a major marketing campaign the Lumia 920 has managed to sell quite well in the US. Once supply chain issues are resolved and Nokia can show they have fixed the softness issue with daytime photography the 920 will once again take a higher advertising priority.

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
MS may hesitate to really push the 920 because it is exclusive to at&t. The are interested in selling any WP8 phone, regardless of brand, and you can sell the 8X to a larger market.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Yep, the 8X is the "easy to buy" high-end Windows Phone... it's available on all the carriers. Microsoft is pushing it hard, because they don't want to alienate Verizon and T-Mobile by pushing a carrier-exclusive device.

This is one of the consequences of an "exclusive" strategy for Nokia and the 920.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
While the 920 is the better device, the 8x is available to more people and is thus advertised to hit a broader range of consumers.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed this from the day they announced hTC 8X.. Nokia is all in. HTC has only half or quarter of its thing inside Windows phone. I think there is a shift in the relationship between Nokia and MS. I think Nokia should start getting their android sofware ready. i dont see this going that well for Nokia. Nokia is hardware and they shuld be open to any software.. that seems to be wat MS is pushing the vendors. I am sure Nokia has started doing this after their relationship went bad.

common sense is you try to use and push the most popular phone on the planet and push it harder and pull all the other phones alone. Idiots are pushing the a so-so phone.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Thats not sense at all. Sense is doing what benefits you the most in the long run. If that means pushing 8X for whatever reason, then so be it.

8X is more available, thus more potential customers, thus more users and a wider spread of users due to different carriers, etc etc. Pure speculation, of course, but could easily be a contributor.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
What is odd though is I think the same is true for Rogers' commercials of WP8. I think I see more 8X phones even though they have exclusivity with the Lumia 920.
And from talking with Rogers staff and people at their stores, boy are they clueless about the operating system, hardly promoting it in store, etc

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Sad to hear, MS and producers need to make the salespeople PUSH the WP devices.

For instance when N9 was starting sales in a town I lived in back then, the local store had a contest driven by Nokia Norway iirc of who sold the most N9 units, and the winner got to go drive this insane car on a racetrack or something. Not a HUGE deal, but cool enough to motivate them to sell the device.

I might actually be directly selling phones myself in about a month, Ill surely push WP8 devices on people that have use for it.

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
All of the Windows 8 commercials I've seen so far features the HTC 8x. The Lumia is only mentioned, displayed, held lol, when the speaker wants to talk about the camera. I know they are both great phones, but what's up with that? lol.

8X is a WP8 signature device. Lumia is carrier limited, with different branding.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The Will Arnett is 920, Alba is 920, the Radio Shack commercial is 920. It's getting it's share. Too bad the 8x got Cam. Hopefully they won't think an overrated player has an overrated phone :winktongue:

Hey brmiller, is that 8x any easier to buy yet? :wink:

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
common sense is you try to use and push the most popular phone on the planet and push it harder and pull all the other phones alone. Idiots are pushing the a so-so phone.

I would say this is TRUE if there is equal availability of both phones. The Lumia is exclusive, the HTC isn't. If I was at Microsoft I would also be pushing the 8X.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb