setting dynamic/static ip address on wifi

john phan

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello All, i am having problems trying to figure out how to assign a static/dynamic ip address on my Lumia 920, if you know how, can you kindly show it to me? Thank you. jp

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Any router worth the money will have IP reservation feature. I just don't see any reason why you need a static IP address for a phone.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Any router worth the money will have IP reservation feature. I just don't see any reason why you need a static IP address for a phone.

That's what I do for all my home static IPs - I reserve IPs in the DHCP server based on device mac address. So much better control that way.

If you want to put in a fixed IP address... well, pressing and holding the connection, tapping edit, doesn't really let you manually enter that info. Looks like the DHCP reservation is the only way.

Raj Thampi

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
O really? Are you talking from the prospects of a normal home user? Well, in our case, what you said is not applicable. We welcome visitors (dozens of them) every week over to our corporate offices and setting up our DHCP servers with MAC address reservations for the visitors devices are LEAST doable.
Let us say it is a missing feature, and it is. Today WP8 had a wifi update, the download size was around 4MBs (decent size to have many modifications) however, the wifi setting area is still dumb. May it was just a bug fix

raj

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
O really? Are you talking from the prospects of a normal home user? Well, in our case, what you said is not applicable. We welcome visitors (dozens of them) every week over to our corporate offices and setting up our DHCP servers with MAC address reservations for the visitors devices are LEAST doable.
Let us say it is a missing feature, and it is. Today WP8 had a wifi update, the download size was around 4MBs (decent size to have many modifications) however, the wifi setting area is still dumb. May it was just a bug fix

raj

Like it has been said... use dynamic IP. Why would a visitor to your corporate office require a static IP?

danmcg

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Who cares WHY?

It's not a question whether or not his reasoning is legitimate. The question is can it be done.

The answer is no. There are workarounds to get you a static ip as others have mentioned, but there is currently no way to do it directly on the phone.

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Who cares WHY?It's not a question whether or not his reasoning is legitimate. The question is can it be done.The answer is no. There are workarounds to get you a static ip as others have mentioned, but there is currently no way to do it directly on the phone.
Take a chill pill, buddy.

Elena Pardo

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
No puedo configurar la IP est?tica en mi terminal.
Es un Nokia Lumia 610 y aparecen los campos pero est?n bloqueados.
?Es tema de la operadora (Orange), Nokia o de Microsoft? ?Qui?n me bloquea esta configuraci?n? ?D?nde poner una reclamaci?n al respecto?
El terminal es m?o, esto lo he podido realizar desde hace a?os en otros terminales (Symbian, Android,..), y ahora? Windows Phone no me deja?:eck:

Raj Thampi

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Take a chill pill, buddy.

John, corporates design policies and certain policies bind you towards using only a certain IP pool and the firewalls are configured accordingly. You cannot assign IP through a dhcp mechanism, hence we recommend the visitors to use static IP addresses from the pool, simple :)

regards,

rt

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
John, corporates design policies and certain policies bind you towards using only a certain IP pool and the firewalls are configured accordingly. You cannot assign IP through a dhcp mechanism, hence we recommend the visitors to use static IP addresses from the pool, simple :)
Wow, time to fire your IT staff.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow, time to fire your IT staff.

Yeah. DHCP's purposed is to "assign IP through a DHCP mechanism". You can set the range of valid IP to assign. And it's a lot more reliable than the unstructured method of assigning static IP as how do you know who has what on any day? Paper? And that doesn't stop someone who's been in the office the week before from clashing when they walk in the door. Messy.

DHCP was created for a reason.

However, it would be complete for the Wi-Fi settings to permit entering a static IP for users that want to do it.

H3R5CH

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello All, i am having problems trying to figure out how to assign a static/dynamic ip address on my Lumia 920, if you know how, can you kindly show it to me? Thank you. jp

i've been struggling with this for a few days now. ever since i got the phone. and i just would not accept that it was not possible. typical windows user mentality! LOL!
anyway, it is possible. if you have access to the wifi router you are connecting to.

set the router to DHCP server.
set the IP you want it to assign to connecting clients.
set the DNS address you want connecting clients to use.
set the router to serve as default gateway.

then delete your wifi connection on the phone. and reconnect to the router.
it will assign the IP you set as well as the DNS and default gateway!
you can verify the settings by holding down on the connection name and choosing edit.
if all went well, you can go back and change all the router settings to the way they were initially.
nothing will change on the phone and it will keep the custom settings, provided that the wifi router SSID does not change.
that would require a new connection to be stored on the phone with different settings.

BTW, i am using Lumia 900 on Billion ADSL/3G/WiFi router.
oh and i also agree with 1 of the posters above: if you're not answering the OP's question, then you're not helping.
if the OP wanted opinions on why/what/where/who he would ask as much. and that would probably be a whole other thread. heck, it probably is.
he didn't though. he just asked how. so answer that or don't answer at all yeah. :)

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

regards,

rt

From Wikipedia:

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The clients request configuration settings using the DHCP protocol such as an IP address, a default route and one or more DNS server addresses. Once the client implements these settings, the host is able to communicate on that internet."

christy w

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Just joined the site to post this reply. these answers to the question clearly shows why you all are tied to your windows phones. Real idiots.

BensCode

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I've just been connecting a range of mobile devices to our Dev and Test networks, Windows Phone is the only one that doesn't support Static IP addresses so now I have to configure DHCP on the DC's and reserve a range of IP Addresses instead...which is a pain in the arse! Microsoft Get Your act together!!!!

For all of those people who say 'you don't need that...on my home network...' go play in a sandpit and let the grownups talk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss