Lumia 920 - Impressions and L900 Comparison

diod123

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I recently broke down and did an early upgrade, moving from the L900 to the L920. While I was waiting for the phone to arrive, I started second guessing whether it was good choice, especially with 7.8 on the horizon. I have to tell you though, after using the new phone for about a week, I am so very happy that I did. I really liked the L900, don?t get me wrong, and it is fantastic phone for many people, but the L920 takes things to a whole new level.

Impressions and Comparisons:

Physical Screen: The slightly curved glass is really nice. It feels really smooth and exceedingly responsive. It also does not attract finger prints and dust/dirt nearly as much as the L900. It is easier to clean as well when there is a smudge.

Image quality: The image quality of this phone simply blow any other phone I have seen, including the L900, out of the water. Also, sunlight viewing is amazing.

Body Construction: Very similar to the L900, but feels nicer in hand with the curved back. It is a bit heavier, but the weight really does not bother me. If weight was a serious issue for people, I would steer them towards the HTC 8X, which looks like a very nice device as well.

Photography/Video: I understand the issues with daylight shots being a bit soft. They are, but it is not a major deal. I understand a fix is forthcoming from Nokia, but I am still taking pictures that I think look really nice. Video is great, very smooth and high quality and, as advertised, low light shots are great.

Sound ? The sound quality on the L920 is outstanding ? music, videos, etc., it?s all good ? and the addition of Dolby sound processing and the equalizer just make it better.

General System ? everything is exceedingly fast, from starting up apps to downloading. Web pages look fantastic and load very quickly.

In conjunction with WP8, this phone is fantastic in pretty much every aspect. My only gripe right now has to do with Xbox Music on my PC. It needs some work, and I would like to see it more integrated like Zune was, with easier drag and drop functionality and CD burning, etc. I have zero complaints about Xbox Music on the phone itself, it is great. What actually drew me into the WP world was Zune software and player. It made me realize that MS was doing something different, something more creative, than the competition. I don?t want to see that leave as MS moves forward with Xbox Music.

Regards - Will