WP8 Review: From a first-time smartphone user

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello all! Relatively new to the forums, and I just wanted to share my experiences and opinions on WP8 to help those who are still on the fence. The title is a little misleading as I've played and tinkered with both iOS and Android devices before, but this is the smartphone I've actually owned. Anyway, on with the review!

To start things off: UI

Definitely loving the live tiles on my 920, its definitely a breath of fresh air compared to other UI's I've seen. The tiles are great for showing info, but it does bother me that they only update every thirty minutes. It kind of defeats the purpose, and I guess I realize now why folks would like a notification center. And, as aesthetically pleasing as the tiles are, there's one big thing that I've found: they're hard to organize. Yes, you can customize the sizes as much as you want, but I'd like to see some kind of divider tile that separates different sections of my start screen. Small complaint, but I'd like to see it addressed. Aside from those little issues, the UI is smooth and responsive.

Next: Customization

Middle of the road indeed. I've been trying phones at my store for ages now, and WP8 seems to fit between iOS and Android. I love the three tile sizes, as it really does let you prioritize what's on your screen. I can see this OS being a big hit with Apple users who are afraid of Android's craziness but want a bit more customization. I do wish that third party alternatives could be found on the app store for certain stuff, like a third party keyboard or media player. Custom notifications are also lacking, something I found extremely annoying since that's a feature I could find even on my old feature phone. I don't recommend this OS for anyone who likes to tinker with every single aspect of their phone; this OS definitely has a more iOS like feel than the open-sourcedness of Android. If Microsoft made things just a bit more customizable, they can attract a lot of Android users.

Third: Performance

Like buttah! Animations are smooth, apps run relatively smoothly, and multitasking is just ok for my needs. Definitely need a better way to exit out of apps! Also found that my phone tends to freeze sometimes, something I didn't wanna see from a flagship. Typing this on my 920, it froze twice. Not much to say beyond that.

Lastly: Phone functions

What's a phone without the phone? This is one of my biggest complaints. Basic functions like the phone+contacts take a lot of time to use. Where's the speed dial? The smart dial? My feature phone had these! Yes there's apps for that, but I shouldn't need them for something so basic.

Final Words

I really really like this OS. Great OS for first time smartphone users. I really feel like there's a lot of stuff missing though. When I pit my 920 against my sister's One X, it still seems like WP8 is an infant OS competing with a mature one. Of course, it is new so I hope the coming updates bring Wp8 up to par with Android and iOS. It certainly has potential!

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can customize the sizes as much as you want, but I'd like to see some kind of divider tile that separates different sections of my start screen. Small complaint, but I'd like to see it addressed.

Like this?

6tfqk9.png

Also found that my phone tends to freeze sometimes, something I didn't wanna see from a flagship. Typing this on my 920, it froze twice.

Hm definitely somethings wrong. If you have a 3g SIMcard in a 4g-enabled phone, that could be an issue, or so my provider tells me. 3g card in a 4g-ready phone though, is no problem obviously. Or it could be some SW thing.

Personally Ive never had it lock up or reset itself.

When I compare the OS to my SGS3, I feel that my SGS3 lack in areas the 920 wins hands down with, and then my SGS3 has things the 920 doesnt. Feels about even, but Id still rather use the 920, as it has more going for it. For me.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
You can do that with Paint; just make an image and transfer to your phone, then create a fake contact thats has that as a background image.

Personally I used an app that lets you make tiles with your own photos. I dont recall the name. MyCustomTiles PRO or something, iirc.

Segoe font, btw.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I really feel like there's a lot of stuff missing though. When I pit my 920 against my sister's One X, it still seems like WP8 is an infant OS competing with a mature one. Of course, it is new so I hope the coming updates bring Wp8 up to par with Android and iOS. It certainly has potential!
Did you know that Microsoft has been in the smartphone business for 12 years now and for some weird reason their current smartphone OS has less features than Apple and Google who have only been in the business for 4 and 5 years? And that most of the features missing from Windows Phone have been in Windows Mobile for nearly a decade now?

Windows Mobile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Did you know that Microsoft has been in the smartphone business for 12 years now and for some weird reason their current smartphone OS has less features than Apple and Google who have only been in the business for 4 and 5 years? And that most of the features missing from Windows Phone have been in Windows Mobile for nearly a decade now?

winmo wasn't a smartphone, it was a PDA with phone capabilities. Like android it was feature rich but half of the features hardly work and those that did were painfully unintuitive.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
winmo wasn't a smartphone, it was a PDA with phone capabilities. Like android it was feature rich but half of the features hardly work and those that did were painfully unintuitive.
Yes but why not re-introduce them? People are all over this entire forums wondering where's the features and I keep telling them that Microsoft had them in previous iterations of their smartphone OS but with Windows Phone they started from scratch while there's 2 big companies who are farther in features yet have less experience with a smartphone OS than Microsoft does.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Can you give me an idea as to what features you're talking about because many require a level of system access that Microsoft doesn't want to give to a regular user because people are generally stupid. Many of them would also enable piracy, deeper system access leading to custom roms and much more. Winmo was never a previous iteration of Windows Phone.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
FEATURES != EXPERIENCE

FEATURE DUMP == CLUSTER*swear word*

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Can you give me an idea as to what features you're talking about because many require a level of system access that Microsoft doesn't want to give to a regular user because people are generally stupid. Many of them would also enable piracy, deeper system access leading to custom roms and much more. Winmo was never a previous iteration of Windows Phone.
You can see what people ask for right here. A lot of these things are legacy features from Windows Mobile, while most of them are things you can find in Android and iOS.

Feature Suggestions: Top (19186 ideas)

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Not trying to bash the OS here, just giving some opinions. But many people have posted about some missing features.

I know that less customizing means a foolproof experience, but I think I already mentioned some things that many people here complain about too. Take the keyboard for example. Word flow has been okay for the most part, but I still prefer to use a smaller keyboard as this one tends to take up most of the screen.

Never used WinMo so I can't comment, but it sounds like Windows should have integrated more of its features onto WP.

anon(1019781)

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Makes me wonder if iOS and Android "feature suggestion" threads are filled with getting features that you find only in WP!
Like what? Live tiles and Office integration? Android users already have widgets and lots of third party Office clients. If anything, its WP not meeting general smartphone feature standards, which only hurts the platform as users get a bad taste in their mouths when trying WP.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Like what? Live tiles and Office integration? Android users already have widgets and lots of third party Office clients. If anything, its WP not meeting general smartphone feature standards, which only hurts the platform as users get a bad taste in their mouths when trying WP.

Live tiles, app integration, panorama layout of pages, cloud back ups, Xbox smartglass, xbox games, sync of office documents between a PC and a phone, Facebook chat integration within the messaging app, Skype integration with the phone, lack of malwares and spywares, dedicated hardware camera button, speed and stability for low end devices that run on 256mb RAM, social newsfeed in the phonebook without any apps,automatic integration of social network contacts with phonebook, kid's corner, lenses like cinemagraph. These are some I could think while hiding from boss at work. May be in my break, I might come up with a few more. Stay tuned!

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Android is just a mess. Widgets are silly and ugly. When I mess with a regular person's Android phone, it's sort of laughable. They only use one or two screen yet all those performance hindering, battery training stock widgets are everywhere. They don't know how to make their phone their's because Android is unintuitive. WP is seamless. Everything is integrated without any effort from your part. Google and iOS have been slowly taking all of MS' ideas, but they will never do it as good as it is on WP. I know that keyboard on your Nexus is garbage and you feel the need to download another one, while WP's keyboard is darn near perfect.

When I download an app, I know MS has already checked it, so I have no fear of it being malware.

And android is JUST NOW becoming a smooth OS with Jelly Bean. 4 versions later. It's just ridiculous. And it's still not as smooth as the infant OS Windows Phone.

If you put the Razr MAXX's battery in a Windows Phone, do you have any idea how long the battery would last? Days.

Thing is, Android has a bunch of stuff few care about while WP has fewer "things" but it has 99% of everyone's needs covered and it does it seamlessly. Great battery life. Great cameras. Unbeatable social integration. 46 of the top 50 apps. Never a freeze up or hang up (while you have to restart yours once a day), top notch security, great keyboard, customization to make your phone yours without being clunky or ugly, app consistency (in that each and every app behave very similar to each other thanks to the universal design language [Metro]), glanceable information, and buttery smooth performance and animations.

Have fun trying out different keyboards and launchers. Maybe you should try one of those WP launchers ;)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Android is just a mess. Widgets are silly and ugly. When I mess with a regular person's Android phone, it's sort of laughable. They only use one or two screen yet all those performance hindering, battery training stock widgets are everywhere. They don't know how to make their phone their's because Android is unintuitive. WP is seamless. Everything is integrated without any effort from your part. Google and iOS have been slowly taking all of MS' ideas, but they will never do it as good as it is on WP. I know that keyboard on your Nexus is garbage and you feel the need to download another one, while WP's keyboard is darn near perfect.

When I download an app, I know MS has already checked it, so I have no fear of it being malware.

And android is JUST NOW becoming a smooth OS with Jelly Bean. 4 versions later. It's just ridiculous. And it's still not as smooth as the infant OS Windows Phone.

If you put the Razr MAXX's battery in a Windows Phone, do you have any idea how long the battery would last? Days.

Thing is, Android has a bunch of stuff few care about while WP has fewer "things" but it has 99% of everyone's needs covered and it does it seamlessly. Great battery life. Great cameras. Unbeatable social integration. 46 of the top 50 apps. Never a freeze up or hang up (while you have to restart yours once a day), top notch security, great keyboard, customization to make your phone yours without being clunky or ugly, app consistency (in that each and every app behave very similar to each other thanks to the universal design language [Metro]), glanceable information, and buttery smooth performance and animations.

Have fun trying out different keyboards and launchers. Maybe you should try one of those WP launchers ;)

He said the M-word! NOooooooo

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Android is just a mess. Widgets are silly and ugly. When I mess with a regular person's Android phone, it's sort of laughable.

This is a pretty good statement. For the standard consumer out there, they just want a phone that works. I personally have my GS3 all contained to one screen with folders for the stuff I need, but I'm a power user. The plebes just leave their phone pretty much how it is out of the box.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

I would like to see your feature count data... You seam to go around making bold statements with no fact to back them up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs