Why is the HTC 8X getting the first OTA update over the Lumia 920?

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Pretty simple: Remember the HTC phones were unveiled as "Signature" devices, which means they're officially the leading products, the ones Microsoft oversee closely. You can expect OS updates to always come to the 8X first from now on. Not a big deal, Nokia users get their fair share of advantages.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
They're doing it alphabetically, or maybe by weight, or or or ok I'm done. Every company has different roll out strategies. At mine we rollout to a small group of dealers first which serve as our guinea pigs. You don't want to be the guinea pig.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
What evidence is there that the HTC 8X is the flagship signature leading device thing? It seems to me both the 8X and 920 got equal attention from Microsoft.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I really don't see the point in making a new thread for every little tiny bit of question that comes to mind with these phones.

Sure we all like to discuss everything, but this just sets a new low. :cry:

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The executives over at HTC sold their souls to the devil in exchange for obtaining the OTA update first. They sacraficed a goat and drank the blood of Dr. Dre.

Klaric

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Steve Ballmer called the Windows Phone 8X the "Windows Signature phone" specifically. He has only referenced the Lumia 920 as a "flagship" phone from Nokia.

What evidence is there that the HTC 8X is the flagship signature leading device thing? It seems to me both the 8X and 920 got equal attention from Microsoft.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
OP, why do you care? You don't even have a windows phone and have admitted you only come here to criticize.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I would say it's simply because Nokia have modified windows phone and therefore they're looking after their own version of the software. HTC uses the vanilla build with only minor firmware adjustments as far as I'm aware. Therefore it makes sense that after the vanilla update is ready you'll have to wait a little while for Nokia to produce their version :)

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I would say it's simply because Nokia have modified windows phone and therefore they're looking after their own version of the software. HTC uses the vanilla build with only minor firmware adjustments as far as I'm aware. Therefore it makes sense that after the vanilla update is ready you'll have to wait a little while for Nokia to produce their version :)

What exactly does Nokia modify? I don't see anything other than pre-installed apps: drive, network+, feedback, maps, lense apps and sensitive touch app.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
What exactly does Nokia modify? I don't see anything other than pre-installed apps: drive, network+, feedback, maps, lense apps and sensitive touch app.

Well on the new Lumias they seem to have just taken out links to bing maps and modified the OS hooks to use Nokia maps instead where possible. Previous generations have done other more superficial things such as change the marketplace tile icon.
Regardless, Nokia is the only OEM with such power under their licensing deal, and i suspect that windows phone 8 is when they're going to start exercising that clause of their agreement

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos