Why is the HTC 8X getting the first OTA update over the Lumia 920?

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Since so few people have the HTC 8X (compared to the Nokia 920), my guess is that Microsoft is using the 8X users as beta testers for their first ever OTA update. If that's the reason why my 920 hasn't gotten the update yet, then I'm absolutely fine with that.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft releases the OS to the OEMs. The OEMs adds their changes and fixes and does their testing. Then the OEMs releases it to the carriers. The carriers adds their changes and fixes, then it goes into lab for testing for a few weeks.

Maybe HTC released their changes and got them into AT&T lab before Nokia? Maybe AT&T rejected Nokia's changes during lab? There are many possibilities out there.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd be happy if AT&T does as little as possible with the firmwares. Who knows what they'd mess up and lock down if given the chance.

CoZmicShReddeR

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Who knows maybe HTC has someone working on the inside... I am not worried... I hardly doubt we are going to be seeing a flood of updates anytime soon... Microsoft for whatever reason isn't pushing anything out as it is I am sure the phone software is manipulated by the OEMs and the Carriers... The OEM's probably like HTC have taken the update and tested it and decided to allow Microsoft to roll it out... The Carriers are not supposed to have anything to do with blocking updates from Microsoft unless am sure they have something to do with the Radio's or firmware... But this is just me guessing...

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing that both HTC and Nokia are adding some of their own firmware updates to the update.

As long as they both make their way to consumers in a reasonable amount of time, I'm not that concerned who is first.

I just hope that carriers don't end up making the process a huge hassle.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Saying the 8x has less features than the Lumia 920 doesn't make any sense. My Camera on the Titan 2 had many more options than the Lumia 920, also HTC has attentive phone and beats audio. Honestly I think the only thing Nokia has over HTC is the exclusive Apps.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
they send the update in waves so servers don't get bogged, or worse, crash with everyone trying to download at the same time.

Servers are one reason, but that pales in comparison to another which is much more important, although it will never get mentioned. Mobile network bandwidth. Simultaneously updating millions of devices OTA would bring down any of the carriers networks, at least in densely populated areas.

Also, I thought Microsoft was going around the carriers with Windows Phone 8?

I really wonder why this myth can't be killed! It's BS.

OTA is simply a distribution method. It says nothing about whether or not Microsoft can distribute those updates without carrier involvement. As OTA updates are distributed over the carriers mobile networks, this is in fact the type of update carriers have the most control over (technically speaking). Microsoft has repeatedly stated they would like to distribute updates directly to device owners without carrier involvement, but so far they haven't stated anything suggesting that goal has been achieved. Carriers generally will refuse to relinquish any type of control, so until Microsoft does make such a statement, it is safe to assume carrier's still have a say.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Then the OEMs releases it to the carriers. The carriers adds their changes and fixes

For windows phone this is simply false.OEM's certainly configure their devices differently for each carrier, but carriers aren't involved in the development of those devices. Carriers certainly don't "add changes and fixes".

I'd be happy if AT&T does as little as possible with the firmwares. Who knows what they'd mess up and lock down if given the chance.

As stated above, AT&T never touches the devices firmware. OEM's may modify some configuration files on their behalf, but that is as far as it goes.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft for whatever reason isn't pushing anything out as it is I am sure the phone software is manipulated by the OEMs and the Carriers.

Not really. First one must understand that the OS and the firmware are two different things. Microsoft delivers the OS and HTC has neither the ability nor the rights to change anything in that package. The firmware is the exact opposite, as it is developed primarily by HTC. Both OS and firmware changes can be shipped in a single update, but that is the only thing they have in common. The same applies for any of the other OEM's except Nokia, who could theoretically also make changes to the OS.

Again, carriers don't manipulate anything anywhere.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I really don't see the point in making a new thread for every little tiny bit of question that comes to mind with these phones.

Sure we all like to discuss everything, but this just sets a new low. :cry:

Off topic... I hated that clown!

On topic... it doesn't matter IMO (to OP).

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Show me documentation on any of this, jaj324. All of this is speculation and whining. The update will come when it comes. Want to know why the lumias aren't getting it? Ask elop or some customer service rep.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The 8X is the "Signature" Windows Phone. It's also the only WP high-end device to have a large number of unlocked devices sold worldwide (Nokia went the carrier-exclusive locked-down route for the 920). It's likely both easier and more straight-forward to update the 8X first (starting with all those unlocked devices).

Additionally, the random reboot issue seemed to be hitting 8X handsets harder than 920s, so the update was "more urgent" for those devices.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
There is no conspiracy theory involved here. There is no WP overlord deciding which devices shall be blessed with updates first. Least of all, it has nothing to do with the 8X being a "signature" phone. Reading anything into this is a complete waste of time. Reality is much more mundane. HTC was simply ready earlier.

Nokia tells me they have WP updates from Microsoft that are ready for deployment to their devices, but they also have other issues they would like to address with the same update. The overhead involved in distributing an update is very large, so distributing two smaller updates requires much more effort than distributing one larger one. Possibly HTC didn't have anything else they needed to address and just deployed what they got from Microsoft. I don't know, but whatever the reason is, it isn't anything more meaningful than that.

Ekin Koc

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What I don't like about this update procedure is that not all 8X phones are getting the update at the same time. I mean, it's ok for two different devices to have a gap. Maybe Nokia had other problems to solve. But the fact that some 8X owners are waiting still? Apple managed to do this since the first iPhone without problems. They can still manage to push major updates to millions and millions of iOS devices and Microsoft/HTC can't? To be honest, messing up an update on iOS would be much more devastating than on WP8, given the install base.

Now I know that I'll be waiting for the update to appear when they start pushing it to Nokia 920. I really don't like it.

Also, no change logs? Really? Is imitating Samsung a thing now?

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Apple managed to do this since the first iPhone without problems. They can still manage to push major updates to millions and millions of iOS devices and Microsoft/HTC can't?

No. You are forgetting that the traditional method of updating an iOS device has always been to do it through iTunes. OTA updates for iOS have only been available since iOS5, and those updates are also passed out to a couple thousand devices at a time. There is no difference.

That Apple was able to simultaneously update millions of devices through iTunes proves that overloading update servers isn't really a problem. The real issue is mobile network bandwidth.

With the rest of your statement I agree.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo