Using NFC for store purchases

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone used the Wallet app for NFC for store purchases? Are their any instructional videos or articles to clearly explain exactly how to set up this feature and use it? I would like to try it but I am apprehensive when it comes to my bank account. :smile:

churchwa

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
It is down to carrier support and then giving us secure sims that work with Wallet. It will come, O2 in the UK have said it is to me on twitter. But it will take time.

There is technically nothing stopping the phone doing purchases in store.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully we get third party apps that can send my data over NFC. A pin on Wallet is secure enough considering my cc can be NFC scanned without one.

A secure sim, pfffft.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It is down to carrier support and then giving us secure sims that work with Wallet. It will come, O2 in the UK have said it is to me on twitter. But it will take time.

There is technically nothing stopping the phone doing purchases in store.

^ This, understandably but annoyingly this feature relies on the carriers issuing Secure SIMs - in theory it should 'just work' if there's a secure SIM but no doubt there's some other unnecessary setup required on the part of the operator that'll mean nobody can use it (anyone remember Data Sense, Visual Voicemail?)

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully we get third party apps that can send my data over NFC. A pin on Wallet is secure enough considering my cc can be NFC scanned without one.

A secure sim, pfffft.

The reason a SecureSIM is required is so that there is a secure module where your card details can be stored, so if your phone is stolen nobody can access the data. Previously (including Android) manufacturers got around this by putting the secure module in the device, but this means that you lose the ease and assurance of the data being transferred to a new device when you move the SIM card

Gagman

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It is down to carrier support and then giving us secure sims that work with Wallet.

You need:
- smartphone with nfc
- carrier for "sim card nfc"
- bank for virtual prepaid/debit/credit card
- someone (visa, Mastercard, etc.), for process payments between the banks of merchants and the card issuing banks

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The reason a SecureSIM is required is so that there is a secure module where your card details can be stored, so if your phone is stolen nobody can access the data. Previously (including Android) manufacturers got around this by putting the secure module in the device, but this means that you lose the ease and assurance of the data being transferred to a new device when you move the SIM card

I have remote wipe on WP, but...
If I loose my phone it's the same as loosing my card or my wallet. I call my bank or cc company.

Again my cc, even my debit is just scanned, then I sign or enter my pin. My phone can have a pin that is more secure than just signing, why should I need a secure sim?

ATT in control is bs, needing a secure sim is bs. Red tape is slowing progress.

You need:
- smartphone with nfc
- carrier for "sim card nfc"
- bank for virtual prepaid/debit/credit card
- someone (visa, Mastercard, etc.), for process payments between the banks of merchants and the card issuing banks

Anything with NFC can talk to an nfc card reader my phone could technically send card data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar