Att agrees i have a defective phone but won't exchange

za_mhz

May 21, 2012
Visit site
So i'm having some of the troubles others are:
Creaky body near the sim card tray
Inside of phone moves around
Speaker quality is hit and miss, sounds like a blown speaker or bad connection

I started off byusing the att online chat to report my troubles, they were not able to assist and suggested calling my local store. So I called into a local store, but since i was past the 15 day return policy, they couldn't help me, and suggested customer care via the phone. So after a pretty quick conversation with cusotmer care, the gentleman agreed i had a defective phone, and had me take the sim tray out to check the water sensitive sticker. When i did, i found i had no sticker, and att was not able to exchange my phone, even though they agreed the phone was defective. So i tried calling the store again, and they reported to me without consent from att customer care, they could not help.

Now i have a phone that att agreed should be replaced, and fear that the above issues will just worsen with time.

I ended up giving Nokia a call, they will assist in repairing the phone, but i have to send it in and then have no phone for the duration.

My question is has anyone else found out that they are missing the water sensitive sticker, or have any suggestions on getting an exchange from att?

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So i'm having some of the troubles others are:
Creaky body near the sim card tray
Inside of phone moves around
Speaker quality is hit and miss, sounds like a blown speaker or bad connection

I started off byusing the att online chat to report my troubles, they were not able to assist and suggested calling my local store. So I called into a local store, but since i was past the 15 day return policy, they couldn't help me, and suggested customer care via the phone. So after a pretty quick conversation with cusotmer care, the gentleman agreed i had a defective phone, and had me take the sim tray out to check the water sensitive sticker. When i did, i found i had no sticker, and att was not able to exchange my phone, even though they agreed the phone was defective. So i tried calling the store again, and they reported to me without consent from att customer care, they could not help.

Now i have a phone that att agreed should be replaced, and fear that the above issues will just worsen with time.

I ended up giving Nokia a call, they will assist in repairing the phone, but i have to send it in and then have no phone for the duration.

My question is has anyone else found out that they are missing the water sensitive sticker, or have any suggestions on getting an exchange from att?

did you have these issues from the time you bought the phone or did they just start happening?

as far as speaker quality goes, i can attest to this. sometimes the speaker will crackle with certain sounds, but i have only come across this with apps, not with system sounds. like take words with friends for instance, sometimes when i am placing a tile the noise of placing the tile is fine and other random times the noise of placing the tile will sound crackled. that is the app fault and not the phone fault. the app needs to be more optimized for wp8 so these things will occur.

za_mhz

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I noticed the audio right away, but thought maybe it was a software issue, i mostly hear it on phone calls(speakerphone or not), and when the phone rings. The creaking and the moving internals i didn't notice right away. the phone is in amazing condition, no scratches whatsoever. Also it has never been dropped. But due to a mishap before i purchased it, there is no water sensitive sticker, so att can't assist.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
you still have the 1 yr warranty. if the phone is defective and att confirms, shouldn't you be able to return your phone for a replacement device?

ROCKHOPPER71

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I took my phone to an ATT service center, they looked at it, agreed that it is defective and a new phone is on it's way. I will have to abck it all up, swipe the card and send it the old one back to them. Look for a ATT service center and take the phone to them. They should take car of you.

Good luck.

za_mhz

May 21, 2012
Visit site
The reason they wouldn't exchange it is that the sticker is missing. The sticker that determines if there's any water damage. Also the closest service center is a few hours drive, and not sure i'd get a different response.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
The reason they wouldn't exchange it is that the sticker is missing. The sticker that determines if there's any water damage. Also the closest service center is a few hours drive, and not sure i'd get a different response.

Because you can not prove that you did not remove the sticker yourself due to water damage. Not making an excuse for ATT cuz i believe they suck at customer service and following through with what they say, but if they exchanged your phone that for some reason has no sticker, then people will find out and start removing the sticker to exchange the phone when it gets water damaged.

za_mhz

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I can understand it from Att point of veiw. I still can't help being frustrated, with not being able to use the one year warranty through Att. Due to a mistake not made by myself.

Regardless thank god for Nokia customer support. I did speak with them, and they will repair\replace my phone if i send it in to them. The only catch is i need a temporary phone for 2-3 weeks. Being as i just purchased the lumia under contract, to buy another Att phone, i'd have to pay full retail.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site

i just checked my sim tray and didn't see anything on it. where is this sticker located and how does it look? color?

kclub

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Is it possible that AT&T forgot to put the sticker on your phone? They put my sim card upside down in my phone in the first place...

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Because you can not prove that you did not remove the sticker yourself due to water damage. Not making an excuse for ATT cuz i believe they suck at customer service and following through with what they say, but if they exchanged your phone that for some reason has no sticker, then people will find out and start removing the sticker to exchange the phone when it gets water damaged.

Look, if you show up with a phone that creaks, that CANNOT be from water damage, so the water damage sticker should not matter.

In Norway its the distributor that has the burden of proof, even if the phone IS waterdamaged THEY have to made a solid case that the waterdamage could in fact realistically do the damage to the device that is under question.

For instance, if I went back with my SGS3 due to my screen blacking out, and they deduced slight water damage from the sticker, (which is a total scam, since a mere misty setting within a 20 yard raduis seems to trigger that) they have to PROVE that my screen problem is caused by the alledged water damage, or they are bound by LAW to fix it.

Of course, not a lot of people know this, so when a distributor says "no, its waterdamaged, that doesnt go under warranty" people just go "oh okay, sorry" and give up EVEN WHEN THEY ARE IN THE RIGHT.

Id say you go to the store and you say "hey, we have this problem, can you help me work this out?" then you calmly explain what happened, aim more for getting sympathy/empathy than pointing your finger and demanding things. Support will be nice to you if they want to, but will screech to a halt if youre being a dick. Remember: they hate their corporation as much as you do, and if they want to help you they will try to help you. And you WANT support on your side.

Good luck.

edit: also; they forgot to put the sticker on. mention that, but dont start blaming them or being agressing with support-guy of course. but make sure he knows thats what happened.

za_mhz

May 21, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what I've done. I'm being nice,talked to the store a few times they won't help unless att customer care notates my account. I'll try att again tomorrow. If I have no luck I already have the prepaid shipping label from Nokia, and I'll just mail my phone to them. I just need to find a phone for the duration.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I hope they fix it for you, man. Sad to hear that you have such horrible customer support over at AT&T, Im glad we dont have the same type system in Norway (yet).

Lets hope for a speedy return :) .

RyoTGZ

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I can't find a water indicator anywhere near he sim tray or slot. I took mine apart a few weeks ago and saw one on the back side close to the camera or battery (forget which one).

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I pulled the sim and tray out of my white 920 today to back you up. Tray is all white with what looks like either a different type of white plastic insert on the bottom side of the tray or maybe its a weird shaped water sticker? I did the Haaaaaaa breath thing like when cleaning the screen and no change to pink. I think its just a piece of plastic. Would have sucked if it turned pink though.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I can understand it from Att point of veiw. I still can't help being frustrated, with not being able to use the one year warranty through Att. Due to a mistake not made by myself.

Regardless thank god for Nokia customer support. I did speak with them, and they will repair\replace my phone if i send it in to them. The only catch is i need a temporary phone for 2-3 weeks. Being as i just purchased the lumia under contract, to buy another Att phone, i'd have to pay full retail.

Get a $20 GoPhone. Take sim card out of phone, insert into $20 phone. Send off 920 for repair. Problem solved.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I pulled the sim and tray out of my white 920 today to back you up. Tray is all white with what looks like either a different type of white plastic insert on the bottom side of the tray or maybe its a weird shaped water sticker? I did the Haaaaaaa breath thing like when cleaning the screen and no change to pink. I think its just a piece of plastic. Would have sucked if it turned pink though.

hahahaha. your avatar made me laugh. nice walking dead idea with the lumia 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)