Bringing on off-contract 920 to AT&T.

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to figure out what my payment/plan options would be if I buy a 920 outright(locked to AT&T) and brought it to the carrier. Would I be able to go month to month? Would I still get locked/roped into a plan? Anyone who has done this or has insight, help appreciated.

I am currently not with them.

Thanks

-Doc

webdave

Apr 24, 2004
Visit site
You could go month to month but you might as well get Straight Talk since it is cheaper and since it uses AT&T service you can use the Lumia with it.

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Dave. I should have been clearer in my post, what exactly does that mean? Do you have any numbers or a place on their site I can look at what I may be paying?

Thanks

-Doc

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Check out att.com/wireless for their GoPhone (month to month) plans vs regular rates. FWIW, GoPhone doesn't offer some features vs contract.. such as:

- Visual Voice mail
- Letting you use the LTE towers for data

I'm on the $65/month unlimited talk+text with 1G of data. In my area for a semi-reasonable plan I'd have to pay atleast $90 + tax ($39.99 for 450/min, $20 for unlimited text, $30 for 3G of data) but I'd get some additional data (I don't need it) and 4G speed (meh). If they still had their old text plans I'd have more incentive to switch since I don't text often but I *do* text some - and getting everyone to switch to viber/whatsapp/whatever else program that uses data and not SMS is not really fun. So paying $20 for text messaging is ******ed, AT&T knows it but they milk their customers..

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I am trying to figure out what my payment/plan options would be if I buy a 920 outright(locked to AT&T) and brought it to the carrier. Would I be able to go month to month? Would I still get locked/roped into a plan? Anyone who has done this or has insight, help appreciated.

I am currently not with them.

Thanks

-Doc

I would just order the SIM card and the plan over the phone from AT&T. The stores have a habit of telling people you have to sign a two year contract.

Your other alternative is to use an AT&T MVNO (mobile virtual network operator), like straight talk. Here's a list of all the MVNO's List of United States mobile virtual network operators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
You have plenty of options as long as the carrier you use uses ATT towers. THE BEST one right now in the states is Straight Talk. However, the data cap is vague, and if something goes wrong of they throttle you for whatever reason they deem necessary, be prepared to deal with horrible CS.

I'm using the ATT 39.99 voice plan, 30.00 3gb data plan and opt out for texting. Look in these forums for a program called MetroTalk. Its can replace texting PERFECTLY when you setup a Google Voice number. Its just as easy as texting and isn't gimmicky one bit. I get a 15% discount, so my bill will be roughly 70 a month. I'm doing this til they can be unlocked, then bringing it to Tmobiles 30 a month plan.

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Check out att.com/wireless for their GoPhone (month to month) plans vs regular rates. FWIW, GoPhone doesn't offer some features vs contract.. such as:

- Visual Voice mail
- Letting you use the LTE towers for data

I'm on the $65/month unlimited talk+text with 1G of data. In my area for a semi-reasonable plan I'd have to pay atleast $90 + tax ($39.99 for 450/min, $20 for unlimited text, $30 for 3G of data) but I'd get some additional data (I don't need it) and 4G speed (meh). If they still had their old text plans I'd have more incentive to switch since I don't text often but I *do* text some - and getting everyone to switch to viber/whatsapp/whatever else program that uses data and not SMS is not really fun. So paying $20 for text messaging is ******ed, AT&T knows it but they milk their customers..

Ali, are you using that plan with a 920 or some phone you either brought to AT&T or got off contract from them and then fired it up?

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. Helps the cause.

Thanks

-Doc

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Ali, are you using that plan with a 920 or some phone you either brought to AT&T or got off contract from them and then fired it up?

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. Helps the cause.

Thanks

-Doc

Technically all of the above. Its a 920 that I brought to ATT that was not on a contract. In short, its a developer phone from the BUILD conference. I would rather use TMobile (and I did for about a week, and I had full 4g, visual VM, tethering, etc) but their service really sucks in the areas I need it (work and at home) so I made the switch...

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm so jealous of you. I wish I could bring a 920 RIGHT NOW to Tmobiles $30 a month plan. I rarely talk, and if I DID need more than 100 minutes, its only 0.10 per minute.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion