The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-03-2013 01:55 PM
78 1234
tools
    A Google search indicates that the H+ icon means you have a 4G network connection. However, this isn't the same as LTE. As I mentioned, LTE can be a particularly battery-draining connection on some devices.
    That would make sense, as I no longer get the H logo when in 3g only. Shame we can't rule that out.
    12-18-2012 08:56 AM
    I use LTE
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    12-18-2012 12:04 PM
    I have been using the Black Matte 920 over a month now. If I do an average, the battery life last about 24 hrs. There have been days where the battery has drained off completey in 12 hrs without any heavy usage. I can't find the reason behind it. It should be the Wind8 OS which sometimes must keep some app or browser running which drains out the battery. MS should fix it soon
    12-18-2012 04:05 PM
    Died after 02:11:30, but booted again in zombie mode and lasted another 2 minutes.
    Wifi on, Location services on, NFC BT off, network set to 4G but in a 3G area on EE in the UK.

Has anyone who doesn't complain about poor battery life posted the results? As if we are all unhappy with battery life, and we are comparing our results, we might not achieve anything here.
    Kooosh likes this.
    12-18-2012 04:26 PM
    my new 920 had great battery life of 2 days for the first 3 weeks, now that I am past the buyer's remorse period it is draining, it just went from 98 to 20% in 6 hours. no new apps at all during that period. my usage is extremely light too. Makes no sense
    12-18-2012 04:32 PM
    Has anyone who doesn't complain about poor battery life posted the results? As if we are all unhappy with battery life, and we are comparing our results, we might not achieve anything here.
    Bengutt seems to be happy with his battery life generally, and he happens to have the worst score of us all thus far. jdhooghe didn't say.
    12-18-2012 04:44 PM
    After 10 hours of light use I got it down to 85 percent yesterday
    12-18-2012 04:55 PM
    Well this is the second time I have noticed my phone drain the battery after taking photos or videos. Left home to go to dinner at 7 the phone was on 68% and had been off the charger for 9 hours. started taking a few photos around 8, buy midnight the phone had switched to power save mode. I counted the photos this morning and I had 13 new photos. Each time I made sure to exit using the back button. Starting to wonder if there is a bug in the camera software?
    Last edited by camptime; 12-18-2012 at 08:36 PM.
    12-18-2012 07:33 PM
    Well this is the second time I have noticed my phone drain the battery after taking photos or videos. Left home to go to dinner at 7 the phone was on 68% and had been off the charger for 9 hours. started taking a few photos around 8, buy midnight the phone had switched to power save mode. I counted the photos this morning and I had 13 new photos. Each time I made sure to exit using the back button. Starting to wonder if there is a bug in the camera software?
    Weird. That's the first I've heard of that particular problem. I haven't used my camera much at all so I can't comment. Maybe the firmware/OS update will address some of that. Looks like you're outside of the US, so you may have to wait a bit.
    12-18-2012 09:12 PM
    I ran the test and am powering my phone back up now. I'll post a screenshot of the timer in a few.

Also, question on how you all went about doing it--did you leave the display on, and what was the brightness at? I left mine on and cranked it to high (usually have it set on low because that's more than good enough).
    12-19-2012 12:04 AM
    I ran the test and am powering my phone back up now. I'll post a screenshot of the timer in a few.

Also, question on how you all went about doing it--did you leave the display on, and what was the brightness at? I left mine on and cranked it to high (usually have it set on low because that's more than good enough).
    Cool. When you post it, I'll add your result to the tally at the top.

Screen should be staying on while running. Because it's a black background, I don't think the brightness will make a whole lot of difference to the result.
    12-19-2012 12:17 AM
    wp_ss_20121219_0001.png
    Kooosh likes this.
    12-19-2012 12:17 AM
    Cool. Let me know and I'll add your result to the tally at the top.

Screen should be staying on while running. Because it's a black background, I don't think the brightness will make a whole lot of difference to the result.
    As you can see, it's up (02:07:16). Two other things:

1. That white text can burn your retinas on high, haha.
    2. How did you go about sharing your screenshot? I was going to use SkyDrive, but the link wouldn't cooperate with the board (kept saying it was invalid), probably because it was a link to SkyDrive, rather than an explicit image link. Is there a way to do it with SkyDrive? I ended up just plugging my phone into my computer and uploading the picture from my desktop.
    12-19-2012 12:19 AM
    Interestingly, I don't even see my screenshot anymore. Do you? For some reason it's disappeared on my side.

IIRC, I uploaded it to skydrive, copied it to my desktop and then uploaded it to wpcentral. Not sure why you couldn't send to skydrive.

Thanks a lot for running the test. :)
    12-19-2012 12:25 AM
    I did send it to SkyDrive, but when I used the SkyDrive link in the "Insert Photo" option on the board, it didn't work.

Do you mean your image of your battery test? I still see it on the first page, if that's what you are referring to.

I just plugged my phone in to the desktop and let it auto-import from my phone to my HDD, then used the pathway there for the upload to the site.
    BigRThanHuge likes this.
    12-19-2012 01:27 AM
    Oh I see what you mean. It didn't occur to me to try linking directly from Skydrive. I'll have to try that sometime.

I don't see my screenshot anymore. I noticed that yesterday. Oh well. :\

BTW, I notice that you're on AT&T in Illinois. Have you checked to see whether the firmware/OS upgrade is live for you yet? I can't get it, but it's not yet 12am Pacific.
    12-19-2012 01:45 AM
    I just wanted to say my 920 has been getting fantastic battery life! So far, I'm averaging 3-4 days. BUT, that's probably because I don't have a data plan. I just have a talk and text plan. I do use WiFi for about 30 minutes to 1 hour each day on average though. Other than that, I don't play much games. I just text a lot. But yea, I'm very surprised that I can get 3-4 days of use. When I had my Samsung Focus, I was only getting about 1-2 days of battery life with the same usage.

Also, I wanted to say that I haven't had a single crash or freeze on my 920. I do have the facebook app installed. Again, I think this is because I don't have a data plan. I think the crashes are related to an app using internet that causes it.
    12-19-2012 01:47 AM
    That is GREAT battery life. I don't know what constitutes "a lot" of texting, but if you're screen's on a lot, that's impressive. I think you're right that a great deal of your fantastic battery life can be attributed to not connecting to a cellular data network, but also not accessing the internet much or playing games.
    12-19-2012 01:59 AM
    Weird. That's the first I've heard of that particular problem. I haven't used my camera much at all so I can't comment. Maybe the firmware/OS update will address some of that. Looks like you're outside of the US, so you may have to wait a bit.
    If Nokia decides not to release this update to everyone they are shooting themselves in the foot. The rest of the world is a much bigger market then the USA.
    12-19-2012 01:59 AM
    If Nokia decides not to release this update to everyone they are shooting themselves in the foot. The rest of the world is a much bigger market then the USA.
    Agreed, but I think this is down to the carriers being willing to release the updates rather than Nokia. Might be worth calling your carrier, and tell them you want/need the update.
    12-19-2012 02:05 AM
    Here in Asia we are not forced into contracts. a large percentage of users buy there phones outright. My phone is unlocked and that the only way I buy all my toys. ; )
    12-19-2012 02:22 AM
    I suppose you can go to this thread and try flashing the phone yourself: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...te-server.html

If you don't have a "carrier" per se, and just bounce around, I don't know how you go about getting updates. :)
    12-19-2012 02:42 AM
    Oh I see what you mean. It didn't occur to me to try linking directly from Skydrive. I'll have to try that sometime.

I don't see my screenshot anymore. I noticed that yesterday. Oh well. :\

BTW, I notice that you're on AT&T in Illinois. Have you checked to see whether the firmware/OS upgrade is live for you yet? I can't get it, but it's not yet 12am Pacific.
    I checked around 12:30 or 1:00 AM Central, and just checked again (just past 3:00 AM). No luck, but I won't update until tomorrow night regardless. I am planning to take a bit of time tomorrow to take some generic pictures tomorrow afternoon and evening. By that, I mean I want to take some pictures that I can easily replicate the settings of, then I want to do the update and take those pictures again, just so I can compare the before and after myself.

I'm actually an infrequent picture person, but I still like to play with stuff like this.
    12-19-2012 03:05 AM
    Of course they will release it. Nokia always release updates in stages so just wait a bit more.
    12-19-2012 03:14 AM
    Here in Asia we are not forced into contracts. a large percentage of users buy there phones outright. My phone is unlocked and that the only way I buy all my toys. ; )
    I'm in Asia too. Nokia is pretty prompt with updates. US is usually slower than us.
    12-19-2012 03:44 AM
78 1234