The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-03-2013 01:55 PM
78 1234
tools
    With WPBench, my NL920 lasts for 2:06 with WIFI on and Data Connection on at 4G.

Looks like I am on average here.
    Kooosh likes this.
    12-19-2012 04:04 AM
    With WPBench, my NL920 lasts for 2:06 with WIFI on and Data Connection on at 4G.

Looks like I am on average here.
    Thanks buddy. Added you to the tally of results. Indeed, 2:00 to 2:15 looks to be shaping up as a fair baseline.
    12-19-2012 04:18 AM
    Somebody stated that taking 13 photos drained the battery.
    If You are uploading the photos to skydrive in full resolution it is going to take awhile, depending on your connection speed. The longer it takes the more it darains the battery.
    Switch of the autoupload and see if that has any affect.
    Last edited by MooCoo; 12-19-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: typo
    12-19-2012 04:55 AM
    I was getting pretty darn good battery life, until I installed Skype. I am just wondering whether Skype is really using that much battery compare to other apps.

Plus, it seems like this thread is dead.
    12-26-2012 01:53 PM
    BTW, I do have the portico update and here are my settings:

WIFI: on
    Brightness: high
    Bluetooth: off
    data connection: on at 3G
    Nokia Drive removed
    Skype installed
    12-26-2012 01:55 PM
    So I ended up getting a new 920 for a number of reasons about a week ago. Here's the result with the new phone:

wpbench20121230170054_jpg.jpg

I don't know how to explain it. If anything, I seem to be getting poorer battery life with the new phone. The only thing I did differently this time was run the test with the phone standing up and in front of a fan blowing cold air from outside.
    12-30-2012 07:10 PM
    Got 2:06 w/ wifi and 4G. Overall battery easily gets me through 1 day with 2 emails hourly syncing , light skype, whats app, facebook and twitter and moderate gaming ( mainly angry birds)
    Kooosh likes this.
    01-01-2013 04:34 AM
    Got 2:06 w/ wifi and 4G. Overall battery easily gets me through 1 day with 2 emails hourly syncing , light skype, whats app, facebook and twitter and moderate gaming ( mainly angry birds)
    Perfect reply to the the OP. Result added to tally. Thanks buddy. :)
    shivamk012 likes this.
    01-01-2013 05:30 AM
    So I ended up getting a new 920 for a number of reasons about a week ago. Here's the result with the new phone:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WPBench20121230170054_jpg.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	25846

I don't know how to explain it. If anything, I seem to be getting poorer battery life with the new phone. The only thing I did differently this time was run the test with the phone standing up and in front of a fan blowing cold air from outside.
    Why did you get a new phone? Did you get a replacement or you had to buy a new one? I thought your previous NL920 did quite average on the battery life.
    01-01-2013 10:15 AM
    Why did you get a new phone? Did you get a replacement or you had to buy a new one? I thought your previous NL920 did quite average on the battery life.
    I was within 14 days, so it was an exchange at AT&T. Any single one of these factors wouldn't have prompted the exchange, but it was the combination of all three:

-Battery life concerns.
    -Staining/wear on the matte surface after such a short period of time.
    -Wireless charger light indicator was never turning off.
    01-01-2013 05:41 PM
    Hello! I just installed the WP Bench app. Here are the settings I will be running the app under:

WiFi On
    Data off (I have no data plan, so it shouldn't make a difference with it on. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
    Flight Mode off
    NFC off
    Bluetooth off
    Brightness High (usually set it to low, but after my battery got better I changed it to high because it looks so much better!)
    Sensitivity High

I just need to find a fan to keep that phone cool, I don't want to mess up the battery. I'll quote this post with my results.
    Last edited by MDak280; 01-02-2013 at 02:20 AM.
    01-01-2013 09:09 PM
    This is without cooling
    01-01-2013 09:28 PM
    Oh. I didn't think cooling would have an effect on the results. Well, I'll still contribute, I don't think my battery will get messed up :)
    01-01-2013 09:41 PM
    I don't think it's a big deal to keep your phone cool while running the test. On my first test I set it in the window exposing it to cool air. Second test, I ran a fan with cool outside air. The test does heat up the phone, but probably not enough to be concerned about. I just didn't think it was worth unnecessarily stressing out the phone.

I wouldn't expect ambient temperature to influence the result.
    01-01-2013 10:30 PM
    I see that your second result is about 30 minutes longer, maybe it was because of the fan. But yeah, I'll leave the phone near a window.
    01-01-2013 10:46 PM
    I see that your second result is about 30 minutes longer, maybe it was because of the fan. But yeah, I'll leave the phone near a window.
    The second test was on an entirely different phone. I guess it's possible, but I don't understand how blowing some cold air on the phone is going to influence the results of this test.

That 2:38 result was a real head-scratcher for me. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am getting seemingly worse battery life from the new phone. I may test it again in the near future and see if I can replicate it.
    01-01-2013 11:00 PM
    Hello! I just installed the WP Bench app. Here are the settings I will be running the app under:

WiFi On
    Data off (I have no data plan, so it shouldn't make a difference with it on. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
    Flight Mode off
    NFC off
    Bluetooth off
    Brightness High (usually set it to low, but after my battery got better I changed it to high because it looks so much better!)
    Sensitivity High

I just need to find a fan to keep that phone cool, I don't want to mess up the battery. I'll quote this post with my results.
    Alright, so with these settings my phone lasted for 01:54:18!
    Kooosh likes this.
    01-02-2013 02:22 AM
    Thanks dude. Added your result to our tally. You're within 5% of normal, so I wouldn't sweat that result.

Full bright is just too intense on my retinas. You're going to burn through your battery quite a bit faster with brightness on high, but I'm sure you're aware of that. I don't think it affected your test time much though. :)
    01-02-2013 02:43 AM
    Hello! Signed up just to post my results here as I have also been wondering if my battery life is below what I am supposed to be getting. :)

I got 2:11 with Wifi off, 3G data on, brightness on low, and the only apps running in background were Whatsapp and Battery level for WP8.

This seems to be in line with the average here, but I should note that my 920 experiences large battery drains overnight when idle with 3G data on--losing up to 50% battery life over 9 hours. With data off the phone only loses 2% overnight. I'm still trying to pinpoint the culprit and so far it doesn't seem to be Whatsapp as even uninstalling it doesn't seem to stop the large overnight drain.
    Kooosh likes this.
    01-02-2013 05:23 PM
    Thanks Dangief, and welcome! Added your result to our tally. Really appreciate the effort.

Let us know if you solve what's draining your battery.
    01-02-2013 05:42 PM
    If Nokia decides not to release this update to everyone they are shooting themselves in the foot. The rest of the world is a much bigger market then the USA.
    Portico was released by Rogers in Canada already. Anyways, I did the battery test the other day, got somewhere around the 2 and a half hour mark, will do it again later and post results. Overall I haven't had a chance to get a good impression on battery. I find that the battery level indicator is crap, I can restart my phone 3 or 4 times and get different numbers, the time remaining doesn't update as fast as it should, so it is usually incorrect. I have found that Draw Something really kills my battery, after using it the time remaining will show something like 2 hours or so, a while later it will have switched to say 10-12 hours at around 50-60% left. Overnight I seem to only go through about 4%, at least that is the amount reduced in the battery info screen. If I restart it drops a bit more. Last night I went to sleep with it at 94%, woke up this morning 8 hours later with it at 91%, did a bit if texting and WPCentral app browsing for a few minutes and it dropped to 87%.

The amount of battery I use, or have remaining seems to jump around alot, and I think that is part of the problem. Under normal usage for me (texting throughout the day, music on through headphones for a hour or so a day, some browsing, some calls, etc) I think I could easily get through a day and charge before bed with battery left over. Certain apps kill the battery really fast and I think those are the real culprits.

Should probably state that I have what I believe to be optimal settings for battery performance:
    WiFi on, set to always on.
    Bluetooth off
    NFC off
    Locations on.
    Cellular set to LTE (but phone is usually connected via WiFi)
    Brightness at Low, auto brightness dims to far for me, and jumps around alot.
    Connect to Xbox Live On
    Connect to Xbox Music On
    Most background tasks disabled except for Amazing Weather HD, WeatherFlow, WPCentral (at least for what I can disable that is)
    Most apps have toast/push notifications turned off, especially the MP games I have.
    Last edited by SevenDead1ySinz; 01-02-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    01-02-2013 05:56 PM
    Thanks dude. Added your result to our tally. You're within 5% of normal, so I wouldn't sweat that result.

Full bright is just too intense on my retinas. You're going to burn through your battery quite a bit faster with brightness on high, but I'm sure you're aware of that. I don't think it affected your test time much though. :)
    Yeah, high brightness seems to drain the battery a little bit more than normal, but I love it :) Plus, my phone still lasts a fill day so it's no problem for me.
    01-02-2013 07:51 PM
    I find that the battery level indicator is crap, I can restart my phone 3 or 4 times and get different numbers, the time remaining doesn't update as fast as it should, so it is usually incorrect.
    I agree with what you're saying. I just restarted my phone and went from 63 to 71%. A couple days ago, a restart caused my battery to magically jump from 5 to 20%. Defo some problem here.

I don't pay attention to that time remaining thing. I think it's entirely meaningless.

Let us know when you have a hard result on the test. Thanks. :)
    01-02-2013 09:41 PM
    charging to full right now, will run the WPBench test when I head to bed, will post result in the morning :)
    01-03-2013 12:35 AM
    my result for the battery test is 2:11:46
    with 3g on, nfc off, location off, wifi off, nfc off
    Kooosh likes this.
    01-03-2013 03:44 AM
78 1234