920 Battery Survey/Experiment

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Is Orange in your area 3G, 4G or 4G LTE? I only ask b/c LTE is a known battery vampire. My carrier uses LTE and was I wondering if that is where some of our differences are coming into play.

I'm no where near an area that is 4G, so I'm assuming it's 3G?

I've just set my Highest Connection Speed in settings to 3G - see if it makes any difference.

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm not up on the cellular network situation in the UK, but if you're not using 4G, you're probably using 3G (unless you're really in the middle of nowhere.) The phone should tell you next to your bars what kind of network you're connected to. If you're using 3G, that could explain some of your increased battery efficiency.

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not up on the cellular network situation in the UK, but if you're not using 4G, you're probably using 3G (unless you're really in the middle of nowhere.) The phone should tell you next to your bars what kind of network you're connected to. If you're using 3G, that could explain some of your increased battery efficiency.

I've only ever seen 3G or H+ in the bar.

I'd be interested to know the effect of people with battery issues dropping their Highest connction speed to 3G.

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
A Google search indicates that the H+ icon means you have a 4G network connection. However, this isn't the same as LTE. As I mentioned, LTE can be a particularly battery-draining connection on some devices.

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
A Google search indicates that the H+ icon means you have a 4G network connection. However, this isn't the same as LTE. As I mentioned, LTE can be a particularly battery-draining connection on some devices.

That would make sense, as I no longer get the H logo when in 3g only. Shame we can't rule that out.

nokiafan99

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have been using the Black Matte 920 over a month now. If I do an average, the battery life last about 24 hrs. There have been days where the battery has drained off completey in 12 hrs without any heavy usage. I can't find the reason behind it. It should be the Wind8 OS which sometimes must keep some app or browser running which drains out the battery. MS should fix it soon

jammerltu

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Died after 02:11:30, but booted again in zombie mode and lasted another 2 minutes.
Wifi on, Location services on, NFC BT off, network set to 4G but in a 3G area on EE in the UK.

Has anyone who doesn't complain about poor battery life posted the results? As if we are all unhappy with battery life, and we are comparing our results, we might not achieve anything here.

SJC01

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
my new 920 had great battery life of 2 days for the first 3 weeks, now that I am past the buyer's remorse period it is draining, it just went from 98 to 20% in 6 hours. no new apps at all during that period. my usage is extremely light too. Makes no sense

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone who doesn't complain about poor battery life posted the results? As if we are all unhappy with battery life, and we are comparing our results, we might not achieve anything here.

Bengutt seems to be happy with his battery life generally, and he happens to have the worst score of us all thus far. jdhooghe didn't say.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Well this is the second time I have noticed my phone drain the battery after taking photos or videos. Left home to go to dinner at 7 the phone was on 68% and had been off the charger for 9 hours. started taking a few photos around 8, buy midnight the phone had switched to power save mode. I counted the photos this morning and I had 13 new photos. Each time I made sure to exit using the back button. Starting to wonder if there is a bug in the camera software?

Last edited:

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Well this is the second time I have noticed my phone drain the battery after taking photos or videos. Left home to go to dinner at 7 the phone was on 68% and had been off the charger for 9 hours. started taking a few photos around 8, buy midnight the phone had switched to power save mode. I counted the photos this morning and I had 13 new photos. Each time I made sure to exit using the back button. Starting to wonder if there is a bug in the camera software?

Weird. That's the first I've heard of that particular problem. I haven't used my camera much at all so I can't comment. Maybe the firmware/OS update will address some of that. Looks like you're outside of the US, so you may have to wait a bit.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I ran the test and am powering my phone back up now. I'll post a screenshot of the timer in a few.

Also, question on how you all went about doing it--did you leave the display on, and what was the brightness at? I left mine on and cranked it to high (usually have it set on low because that's more than good enough).

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I ran the test and am powering my phone back up now. I'll post a screenshot of the timer in a few.

Also, question on how you all went about doing it--did you leave the display on, and what was the brightness at? I left mine on and cranked it to high (usually have it set on low because that's more than good enough).

Cool. When you post it, I'll add your result to the tally at the top.

Screen should be staying on while running. Because it's a black background, I don't think the brightness will make a whole lot of difference to the result.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Cool. Let me know and I'll add your result to the tally at the top.

Screen should be staying on while running. Because it's a black background, I don't think the brightness will make a whole lot of difference to the result.

As you can see, it's up (02:07:16). Two other things:

1. That white text can burn your retinas on high, haha.
2. How did you go about sharing your screenshot? I was going to use SkyDrive, but the link wouldn't cooperate with the board (kept saying it was invalid), probably because it was a link to SkyDrive, rather than an explicit image link. Is there a way to do it with SkyDrive? I ended up just plugging my phone into my computer and uploading the picture from my desktop.

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly, I don't even see my screenshot anymore. Do you? For some reason it's disappeared on my side.

IIRC, I uploaded it to skydrive, copied it to my desktop and then uploaded it to wpcentral. Not sure why you couldn't send to skydrive.

Thanks a lot for running the test. :)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I did send it to SkyDrive, but when I used the SkyDrive link in the "Insert Photo" option on the board, it didn't work.

Do you mean your image of your battery test? I still see it on the first page, if that's what you are referring to.

I just plugged my phone in to the desktop and let it auto-import from my phone to my HDD, then used the pathway there for the upload to the site.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos