920 Battery Survey/Experiment

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Oh I see what you mean. It didn't occur to me to try linking directly from Skydrive. I'll have to try that sometime.

I don't see my screenshot anymore. I noticed that yesterday. Oh well. :\

BTW, I notice that you're on AT&T in Illinois. Have you checked to see whether the firmware/OS upgrade is live for you yet? I can't get it, but it's not yet 12am Pacific.

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to say my 920 has been getting fantastic battery life! So far, I'm averaging 3-4 days. BUT, that's probably because I don't have a data plan. I just have a talk and text plan. I do use WiFi for about 30 minutes to 1 hour each day on average though. Other than that, I don't play much games. I just text a lot. But yea, I'm very surprised that I can get 3-4 days of use. When I had my Samsung Focus, I was only getting about 1-2 days of battery life with the same usage.

Also, I wanted to say that I haven't had a single crash or freeze on my 920. I do have the facebook app installed. Again, I think this is because I don't have a data plan. I think the crashes are related to an app using internet that causes it.

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
That is GREAT battery life. I don't know what constitutes "a lot" of texting, but if you're screen's on a lot, that's impressive. I think you're right that a great deal of your fantastic battery life can be attributed to not connecting to a cellular data network, but also not accessing the internet much or playing games.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Weird. That's the first I've heard of that particular problem. I haven't used my camera much at all so I can't comment. Maybe the firmware/OS update will address some of that. Looks like you're outside of the US, so you may have to wait a bit.
If Nokia decides not to release this update to everyone they are shooting themselves in the foot. The rest of the world is a much bigger market then the USA.

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
If Nokia decides not to release this update to everyone they are shooting themselves in the foot. The rest of the world is a much bigger market then the USA.

Agreed, but I think this is down to the carriers being willing to release the updates rather than Nokia. Might be worth calling your carrier, and tell them you want/need the update.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Here in Asia we are not forced into contracts. a large percentage of users buy there phones outright. My phone is unlocked and that the only way I buy all my toys. ; )

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh I see what you mean. It didn't occur to me to try linking directly from Skydrive. I'll have to try that sometime.

I don't see my screenshot anymore. I noticed that yesterday. Oh well. :\

BTW, I notice that you're on AT&T in Illinois. Have you checked to see whether the firmware/OS upgrade is live for you yet? I can't get it, but it's not yet 12am Pacific.

I checked around 12:30 or 1:00 AM Central, and just checked again (just past 3:00 AM). No luck, but I won't update until tomorrow night regardless. I am planning to take a bit of time tomorrow to take some generic pictures tomorrow afternoon and evening. By that, I mean I want to take some pictures that I can easily replicate the settings of, then I want to do the update and take those pictures again, just so I can compare the before and after myself.

I'm actually an infrequent picture person, but I still like to play with stuff like this.

MooCoo

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Somebody stated that taking 13 photos drained the battery.
If You are uploading the photos to skydrive in full resolution it is going to take awhile, depending on your connection speed. The longer it takes the more it darains the battery.
Switch of the autoupload and see if that has any affect.

Last edited:

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I was getting pretty darn good battery life, until I installed Skype. I am just wondering whether Skype is really using that much battery compare to other apps.

Plus, it seems like this thread is dead.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
BTW, I do have the portico update and here are my settings:

WIFI: on
Brightness: high
Bluetooth: off
data connection: on at 3G
Nokia Drive removed
Skype installed

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
So I ended up getting a new 920 for a number of reasons about a week ago. Here's the result with the new phone:

WPBench20121230170054_jpg.jpg

I don't know how to explain it. If anything, I seem to be getting poorer battery life with the new phone. The only thing I did differently this time was run the test with the phone standing up and in front of a fan blowing cold air from outside.

shivamk012

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Got 2:06 w/ wifi and 4G. Overall battery easily gets me through 1 day with 2 emails hourly syncing , light skype, whats app, facebook and twitter and moderate gaming ( mainly angry birds)

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Got 2:06 w/ wifi and 4G. Overall battery easily gets me through 1 day with 2 emails hourly syncing , light skype, whats app, facebook and twitter and moderate gaming ( mainly angry birds)

Perfect reply to the the OP. Result added to tally. Thanks buddy. :)

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
So I ended up getting a new 920 for a number of reasons about a week ago. Here's the result with the new phone:

View attachment 25846

I don't know how to explain it. If anything, I seem to be getting poorer battery life with the new phone. The only thing I did differently this time was run the test with the phone standing up and in front of a fan blowing cold air from outside.

Why did you get a new phone? Did you get a replacement or you had to buy a new one? I thought your previous NL920 did quite average on the battery life.

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Why did you get a new phone? Did you get a replacement or you had to buy a new one? I thought your previous NL920 did quite average on the battery life.

I was within 14 days, so it was an exchange at AT&T. Any single one of these factors wouldn't have prompted the exchange, but it was the combination of all three:

-Battery life concerns.
-Staining/wear on the matte surface after such a short period of time.
-Wireless charger light indicator was never turning off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss