WiFi staying connected - unsure why

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: after 12/12/2012 extras+info update my wifi is staying on (tested and confirmed)

Well I made no attempt to stream with cell data off before, but I thought this was the whole issue. Maybe I misunderstood the problem? What possible issues could there be with wifi shutting off if not in use? In response to PG2G I allowed it to stream for ~ 30 minutes.

The issue was if you start streaming before wifi reconnects, it never switches over to wifi and stays in cell data the whole time

http://wmpoweruser.com/warning-streaming-xbox-music-on-wp8-can-use-mobile-data-instead-of-wifi/

One langstanding bug/annoyance in Windows Phone is that it turns off WiFi when the screen is locked. Which means that if you start streaming Xbox Music during those several seconds that it takes the phone to reconnect to the WiFi network – right after unlocking the screen – it will use the mobile data connection. And ignore the WiFi connection.

Matt Sharp

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: after 12/12/2012 extras+info update my wifi is staying on (tested and confirmed)

If it took my wifi so long to reconnect that I could navigate to and start a stream before it completes I would be more concerned that perhaps I had a faulty wifi radio... What I've read peolple complain about is wifi disconnecting after screen sleep while streaming.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Did you install the newest update and reboot your phone?

I didn't reboot, I'll try that and see if it makes any difference

If it took my wifi so long to reconnect that I could navigate to and start a stream before it completes I would be more concerned that perhaps I had a faulty wifi radio... What I've read peolple complain about is wifi disconnecting after screen sleep while streaming.

If you had stopped it, locked your phone, and all of the controls and what not were there right when you unlocked it I could see how it could happen. I agree that it definitely doesn't seem likely though.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site

Wi-Fi isn't staying on for me, and considering that the update to make Wi-Fi stay on was an WP8 operating system update (as was detailed in a recent news post), and not an app update, I doubt that those who are experiencing Wi-Fi staying on is because of this random Nokia app update. Probably just a random occurance that keeps Wi-Fi connected, because we certainly don't know exactly under what conditions Wi-Fi decides to connect and reconnect.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Wi-Fi isn't staying on for me, and considering that the update to make Wi-Fi stay on was an WP8 operating system update (as was detailed in a recent news post), and not an app update, I doubt that those who are experiencing Wi-Fi staying on is because of this random Nokia app update. Probably just a random occurance that keeps Wi-Fi connected, because we certainly don't know exactly under what conditions Wi-Fi decides to connect and reconnect.

I agree, but something is keeping my WiFi on, and the only thing I did was install the update to extras+info and reboot.

Its odd but I don't mind the results lol

And I'm not streaming or doing anything with my phone, just locking the screen and setting it down.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

So yeah, did the update and rebooted the phone. Locked it for a few minutes, unlocked it, and watched Wifi reconnect

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
lol im positive its plugged in, the phone scared me when it gave me the email notification as it just sat there. and no its not on a wireless charger either.......lol

Yes, don't you understand? When the phone is plugged in, it will always stay connected to WiFi. It has always been this way.

Do this, cell data off, WiFi on, unplug your phone from the charger, wait about 10 mins, check. If your WiFi is still on, then we're on to something.

And regarding streaming music, if you start streaming on WiFi, it will continue streaming on WiFi for as long as it is still streaming.

That was the trick of apps that keep WiFi alive. They tricked the phone to think it was constantly streaming music.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, don't you understand? When the phone is plugged in, it will always stay connected to WiFi. It has always been this way.

Do this, cell data off, WiFi on, unplug your phone from the charger, wait about 10 mins, check. If your WiFi is still on, then we're on to something.

And regarding streaming music, if you start streaming on WiFi, it will continue streaming on WiFi for as long as it is still streaming.

That was the trick of apps that keep WiFi alive. They tricked the phone to think it was constantly streaming music.

it was suppose to say not plugged in, my bad

Matt Sharp

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
And regarding streaming music, if you start streaming on WiFi, it will continue streaming on WiFi for as long as it is still streaming.That was the trick of apps that keep WiFi alive. They tricked the phone to think it was constantly streaming music.
That is good to know, I suppose I misunderstood the posts ive read. I for the life of me cannot fathom a problem with an idle wifi connection disconnecting but apparently it is an issue for some. I am glad for them that it will be resolved in the near future.

Jason De Castro

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
People here are so rude, just because your device isn't staying connected it doesn't mean others aren't. This isn't an android forum so please stop with the arrogance. And fyi, my 920 stays connected. And NO its not charging

Hibalt

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Extras+info should keep the wifi online for 10 minutes after turning the screen off, also there will be more options to these wifi settings with portico update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos