Both 920 and 820 bricked

the_icon12

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I am lucky enough to have both of these phones. Unfortunately, a reset sent them both into the dreaded splash screen. I used the process in the forums to flash them back to life, but this seems to be a little ridiculous.

billyjo2002

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 820 unbricking in one easy manouver

Ok - I had a bricked Lumia 820 that got into a continuous gear-wheel display after an OS software update. I left the phone overnight for this to clear and it didn't - I then embarked on various reset actions which sometimes put it in flash mode (lighning icon and gear wheel combined) and sometimes returned it to spinning gears display. Looking on-line I was directed towards "Navifirm Plus" and Nokia Care Suite (NCS) to re-flash the phone. First piece of advise is don't try to implement any corrective work in this respect using a 64-bit PC. For whatever reason I wasted a lot of time trying to re-flash using the on-line examples (and there are many) from my 64-bit laptop - it just didn't work. After moving to my 32bit PC I downloaded NCS.

Version 4.00(2012.31.1) of the Nokia Care Suite (NCS) seems to negate the need for Navifirm Plus as it has a full download and flash tool integrated in it so don't worry about Navifirm - I didn't need it.

Here's what I did from my 32-bit PC!

• Download and run NCS Version 4.00[2012.31.1] (or above I assume)
  • Select "Product Support Tool For Store 5.0" from the main screen
  • Select "Programming" from the bottom left of the Product Support Tool screen
  • Select "Recovery"
  • Click "Find online..." in the recovery screen
  • Note:, my Nokia was a SIM free unbranded and I had to take a guess at the right firmware and went for the version that was coded "059R096" and to all intents and purposes I got it right. I will update this post if I find gremlins later!
  • It's a 1.25Gb download so make tea and stock up on snacks.
  • Note: My phone showed 'no connection' in the top right of the Product Support Tool all the way through this procedure - it doesn't seem to need to 'connect' to flash.
  • The download will... download and then follow the on-screen prompts that walk you through a phone reboot and a flash upgrade.
  • Brick, unbricked. I was soooo relieved!

The whole process took me about 20mins including download time after 9hrs of button combination pressing and battery dumping etc etc - so hope this entry helps someone else.

Good luck!

Sh ah

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 820 unbricking in one easy manouver

Hey do you have the firmaware / cache of lumia 820 , i see nokia has shutdown their servers for download of latest firmware. My phone is bricked and im unable to restart it.

fradchad

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I had the same thing happen on vacation. With no computer around I searched for every reset method available. Eventually I landed upon a weird startup key combo. After getting royally pissed and frustrated I put my phone down. Two minutes later it booted! Have hope, search for hard reset boot combinations, try them all. Its not going to hurt since its "bricked" anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs