Recommended soft case for softening the bottom edge of the 920?

Dlsimon

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Just came from an old android, and decided to give the MS Phone a try. I picked up a Nokia 920 last night after reading great things about it, and I preferred all of the features it had over the 8X.

Everything about the phone is great except for 2 things...

a) While a bit large & heavier than my old 4" android (samsung captivate), I think I can live with the 920 in terms of size. However, the top & bottom edges are not rounded; the bottom corner digs into my hand when I try to hold it with one hand (which is most of the time). I like how HTC rounded all the 8X edges. Has anyone found a good thin soft bumper case that rounds the corners and takes off the 'edge'. The Nillkin cases looked cool except they don't solve my problem of covering up the corner edges. I don't want a massive otterbox-type case that adds more heft and size - just something to soften the edges and give it a small lip on the front when I need to set the phone on its front.

b) The audio jack produces a crackle-type sound when I plug my old-school cassette adapter for listening in my car. My previous android (and other phones prior) didn't have this issue. I don't have bluetooth in my car, so this is my best/only option for listening to audio - anyone else have issues in this area?

Basically, I want to avoid returning this to get an 8X (the 8X is $100 more, plus the $35 restocking fee, plus has fewer features), but I want to enjoy holding my phone when I use it. Help?

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
He doesn't have an Audi input on his car stereo, so has to use a cassette adaptor to play audio from external sources.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
b) The audio jack produces a crackle-type sound when I plug my old-school cassette adapter for listening in my car. My previous android (and other phones prior) didn't have this issue. I don't have bluetooth in my car, so this is my best/only option for listening to audio - anyone else have issues in this area?

Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexSMART X2 ADVANCED Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control and Hands-Free Calling for ANDROID, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Smartphones: Car Electronics

This is the best money I've ever spent on a product from Amazon, hands down. My Jeep has no aux input, no cassette adapter, and no way to connect to my 920 unless I went with a crappy FM transmitter. The FlexSmart does go over FM airwaves (although you could plug your cassette adapter into it directly - it has an audio jack), but its crystal clear and works great. The 920 connects to the FlexSmart with Bluetooth, and that's it - no wires holding you down, plus you get a way to charge the 920 while on the road.

As a bonus, you could angle the FlexSmart so you could use it to change music tracks and take phone calls and such. Never need to have your 920 leave your pocket.

kclub

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
a) I bought my case on ebay for around 5 bucks, works fine for me. By the way, I think I saw the same case on amazon for 3 bucks, but I am not so sure.

b) I am using old-school cassette adapter on my car as well, I am using it on with my ipod. Never makes the crackle sound before until I placed my 920 in the little space under the cassette tape player. So try to have your 920 away from the tape player, see if this works.

Dlsimon

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexSMART X2 ADVANCED Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control and Hands-Free Calling for ANDROID, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Smartphones: Car Electronics

This is the best money I've ever spent on a product from Amazon, hands down. My Jeep has no aux input, no cassette adapter, and no way to connect to my 920 unless I went with a crappy FM transmitter. The FlexSmart does go over FM airwaves (although you could plug your cassette adapter into it directly - it has an audio jack), but its crystal clear and works great. The 920 connects to the FlexSmart with Bluetooth, and that's it - no wires holding you down, plus you get a way to charge the 920 while on the road.
Interesting - I'll have to check that out. Nice features on that device. We've tried a few other FM transmitters in the past with my wife's iphone and her car and never found one that produced audio that was very loud. Everything would be rather quiet coming out of the stereo. Eventually had an installer put in an iphone cable to the back of the stereo. But to be clear, you don't have any issues with sound volume coming from that thing?

If anyone's curious, my car is a 10 year old Subaru Legacy. Subaru included a dual cassette/cd stereo with this car. While I initially laughed at the cassette part when I bought it, it turned out to be audio portion I use the most today, since I didn't have another good way of hooking up my smartphone (no regular AUX stereo port is included with this unit).

kclub - yeah, something like your case would probably work. Something basic that gives the back some rubbery grip, a lip for the front, and the edges are covered. I'll have to look out for that style on amazon (or even ebay).

kclub

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Interesting - I'll have to check that out. Nice features on that device. We've tried a few other FM transmitters in the past with my wife's iphone and her car and never found one that produced audio that was very loud. Everything would be rather quiet coming out of the stereo. Eventually had an installer put in an iphone cable to the back of the stereo. But to be clear, you don't have any issues with sound volume coming from that thing?

If anyone's curious, my car is a 10 year old Subaru Legacy. Subaru included a dual cassette/cd stereo with this car. While I initially laughed at the cassette part when I bought it, it turned out to be audio portion I use the most today, since I didn't have another good way of hooking up my smartphone (no regular AUX stereo port is included with this unit).

kclub - yeah, something like your case would probably work. Something basic that gives the back some rubbery grip, a lip for the front, and the edges are covered. I'll have to look out for that style on amazon (or even ebay).

Red Silicone Soft Gel Skin Case Cover for at T Nokia Lumia 920 Phone Accessory | eBay
This is what I got, but I think I didn't get the best deal :(

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
The one I posted adds 1mm thickness at most, is simple and functional; I like it a lot, but I also like the bumper (seemed most didn't) on the Iphone 4 for its simplicity, minimalistic design and functionality.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

Well, the best thing to do is connect to the bluetooth, and max the phone volume out at 30/30. Then you can add additional loudness because the FlexSmart has a volume control on it, not to mention however loud you want your car stereo to be.

Never had a problem with volume, just make sure your phone is 30/30 or else it can sound distorted. The good thing is, WP8 doesn't keep your volume at 30/30 when using bluetooth, once you disconnect it'll put the volume back at whatever you had it at before you used bluetooth.

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

The 920 connects to the FlexSmart with Bluetooth, and that's it - no wires holding you down, plus you get a way to charge the 920 while on the road.
So you do have wires holding you down.

As a bonus, you could angle the FlexSmart so you could use it to change music tracks and take phone calls and such. Never need to have your 920 leave your pocket.
Unless you have the wires involved.

Dlsimon

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
To update this thread (if anyone cares), I ended up taking the 920 back and getting the 820 instead. I wasn't a big fan of downgrading, but I really liked the shape/size of the 820 more. I'll miss the nice screen of the 920, but in the end I need something comfortable to use.

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
To update this thread (if anyone cares), I ended up taking the 920 back and getting the 820 instead. I wasn't a big fan of downgrading, but I really liked the shape/size of the 820 more. I'll miss the nice screen of the 920, but in the end I need something comfortable to use.

I read posts like this and wonder if the human race is undergoing some weird evolutionary process that is changing some of us into small elf people with tiny doll hands and no muscles.

"However, the top & bottom edges are not rounded; the bottom corner digs into my hand when I try to hold it with one hand."

I don't even know what the say to this. Your hands must be made of cheese cloth.

Dlsimon

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I read posts like this and wonder if the human race is undergoing some weird evolutionary process that is changing some of us into small elf people with tiny doll hands and no muscles.
I don't even know what the say to this. Your hands must be made of cheese cloth.

I'm coming from a 4" android phone which I had been using for the past 2 years. Prior to that, the iPhone 3G which was even smaller. I'm used to doing most of my navigating with one hand in portrait mode, and the larger screens of the newer phones are just a touch too large to cover the entire screen with my thumb without constantly adjusting the phone during usage. I know it's hard to comprehend people having different requirements of a phone that yours, but not everyone wants the biggest phone possible.

As for the bottom/top edges of the 920, Nokia really should have rounded off the edges like most every other phone on the market. It's not hard to grasp that a rounded edge in your palm is more comfortable that a hard flat edge.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Have you tried regular earphones/headphones? I use a cassette adapter in my car as well, but I have no crackling sound. Try out some other audio accessories to make sure it's not the headphone jack itself that's bad.

Oh, and you might go look for Worldshopping Lumia 920 Cases on Amazon.com. They come as hard plastic or soft gel cases. I personally ordered a blue gel on a couple of days ago (I love my phone, but playing Gun Bros. is a bit tough with such a slick back of the phone), but they come in many different colors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99