03-08-2013 08:46 PM
64 123
tools
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...orkaround.html

See if the above helps (read the ##3282# part) and see if locking in your phone changes things. If it doesnt - thats not your problem, if it does - at least you know.
    So somehow this actually worked. Even though I didn't have a problem with LTE switching at all. It was always solid. I switched to 3G and haven't lost a percent yet. Switched back to LTE and lost 2% in 5 mins.
    12-14-2012 05:50 PM
    Noticed my battery going down faster than usual too. Thought it was because of the wireless charge from lastnight.

If anyone finds a fix, please let us know!
    12-14-2012 06:09 PM
    LTE will drain your battery much faster than 3G, but then you'll also get much better data speeds. So, I guess if you don't need the speeds, flipping to 3G will surely give you MUCH better battery life - after all they beefed up the battery a bit to compensate for the higher LTE drain.
    12-14-2012 06:21 PM
    Spoke too soon. Battery drain is still going on. Ugh can't wait too get home and hard reset.
    12-14-2012 06:27 PM
    My original 920 and replacement 920 (first one bricked when I reset it while working on the battery drain issue with tech support) both do this occasionally. I don't think it's something simple like "LTE uses more power than 3G" because as this thread says, it drains like crazy and not just faster than usual. I have wondered if it's something to do with low signal or network switching because it seems like a few days it has dropped from 100% off charge to 80% within an hour without any use, then leveled out and been normal once I've left my house (where there's poor AT&T signal--go figure). However, the best fix I've been able to find is the 2 times I haven't been able to get it back to a charger fast enough and it's gone totally dead. After a full charge it always seems to be much better, at least for a few days. Mine hasn't been hot during the crazy discharge times, so I'm wondering whether this is actually an issue with the phone figuring out how much charge is truly left (the estimated time is WAY off compared to my WP7 Samsung Focus) and it helps for it to charge from rock bottom. Still trying to find some pattern, but I don't think it's an app or network speed choice...
    12-14-2012 06:41 PM
    Spoke too soon. Battery drain is still going on. Ugh can't wait too get home and hard reset.
    So switching to 3G and doing a soft reset didn't stop the battery drain? That's looking like a radio issue... voice mail sync issue... other running process getting stuck issue deep in the OS goo...
    12-14-2012 06:42 PM
    Last edited by wutradition; 01-23-2014 at 04:09 PM.
    12-14-2012 10:23 PM
    LTE will drain your battery much faster than 3G, but then you'll also get much better data speeds. So, I guess if you don't need the speeds, flipping to 3G will surely give you MUCH better battery life - after all they beefed up the battery a bit to compensate for the higher LTE drain.
    I firlmy disagree with this claim. LTE is more efficient than 3g.
    rdubmu likes this.
    12-14-2012 11:11 PM
    My phone was working fine since I got it (12/13) and my battery was great once i went through the cycles (using it till it died on its own then charging it to 100% and same thing over and over) then these past couple of days it's just been draining more so than it ever has and my tiles stopped updating regularly. So I was playing with my phone this morning trying to figure out what the deal was and saw in my email and accounts page that my Live account and my Twitter account that was connected to my phone was not up to date. An error came up saying that it could not connect to the server. I did a soft reset and checked again and this time is was my facebook account connected to my phone that was coming up with the error. I did another soft reset and waited a bit and now everything seems to be fine. It's only been about 2 hours but my phone is still at 43% after 2 hrs. I guess it was continually trying to connect to the server. Hopefully its fixed now. I'll update if there are any changes.
    12-15-2012 08:30 AM
    i'm not sure for you guys, but for me, uninstalling my battery level/reader app has done my battery wonders. I was all for the percentage lock screen icon and thought it was a good look, but that 99 turned into a 89 in a blink of an eye. Ever since i uninstalled that, my battery life has been money.
    12-15-2012 08:35 AM
    Five soft resets and a hard reset later, my battery drain is gone. Have no clue how it happened.

EDIT: spoke too soon again. Battery drain is still there. 2 hours went from 100% to 65%. It has to be the phone.
    Last edited by MacDaMachine; 12-15-2012 at 10:21 AM.
    12-15-2012 08:36 AM
    I really don't wanna have to hard reset my phone... but some people are saying that it does wonders for the battery
    12-15-2012 09:04 AM
    I for some reason noticed significant battery drain after installing the locksider app, don't know if it was trying over and over again to grab images or what but after un-installing it set my battery back to its normal lifespan..
    12-15-2012 06:07 PM
    It's definitely a random task in the background that's stuck on loop that we can't close except for reset. I get this problem too.

I suspect it's location services because I always see it pop up every now and then without me using any location based apps.

Hope Microsoft/nokia fixes this
    12-15-2012 06:23 PM
    I have crazy drains as well. Charged to 100%, unplugged and went to sleep for 5 hours. Woke up, the phone is on 85%! I then recharged to 100% again with flight mode turned on, and it stayed 100%. So to me, looks like some background apps is still constantly connecting to the internet even when I tell the phone to block background tasks.
    12-15-2012 11:37 PM
    Reply - Click here to login
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    12-15-2012 11:40 PM
    I had horrible battery issues that made it impossible to last the day. I read around different forums for causes. I have great results now with my Bluetooth, WiFi on at all times. The trick for me was controlling location service within different apps. The biggest culprit is the Bing search. I also disabled it for IE. In addition the these changes I turned off NFC. Today after a full charge, I watched an entire downloaded movie, browse the internet about an hr total, stream WFAN sports radio bout 10min and listen to a 35m downloaded podcast. 16hr and 23min later since full charge I'm at 49%. This is absolutely the best battery life I've had for any smartphone I've own (SG2 skyrocket, Samsung Focus, and Htc Titan). I went from severely disappointed to in awe of this phone.
    12-15-2012 11:57 PM
    I also cycled my battery.
    12-15-2012 11:58 PM
    We have a thread going on this topic in the 822 forum. Similar symptoms. I've found that a reboot will stop the rapid drain.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...ery-drain.html
    12-16-2012 12:26 AM
    Had 9 updates this morning, and my phone went from lasting a whole day to being a paperweight in less than 12 hours today.
    12-16-2012 02:21 AM
    Battery bug hit me too. After just 8 hours, I probably had less than 30% left. Barely used the phone (maybe four short phone calls the entire time). I have Bluetooth, NFC, and WiFi left on, but haven't had any issues until recently. There's definitely a power drain issue going on. I hope they find it and patch it.
    12-16-2012 03:13 AM
    This drain is getting bad. I went from 100% to 12% in 8hr of light use. it seems to come and go for me with some days being good and others being bad. I did not have any problems until a few days ago, prior to that I could do a whole day and still have over 50% of my battery left.
    12-16-2012 03:49 PM
    I'm glad my phone isn't the only one. If this is happening without updating or anything maybe it's something happening on microsoft's end? Maybe the servers went down and the phones kept attempting to send info to them? Dunno' but that's the only thing I could come up with.
    12-16-2012 04:02 PM
    my drain occured only when I get to my work place whereby the 3g reception is poor and I believe my phone is probably doing a lot of hard work trying to connect and disconnect to 3g. It resolved when I turn off data connection.

however, I still get battery drain on browsing. In 2 hours of browsing, I lose around 50% battery charge (in an area with good reception) and it gets rather warm to touch.
    12-16-2012 04:29 PM
    After 13 days with this phone, I am now experiencing the rapid power drain. I was at 98% when I used Bing search on a song I was hearing on the radio. It took about 15 seconds to recognize the song and when it was done, my battery was at 90%.

I then listened to some MP3's and after about 60 minutes, my battery was at 79%. I ate dinner and watched a couple of shows (90 minutes worth) and my battery went down to 41%! Nothing was running. All tasks were closed. Yet the top of the phone was hot. Something was going on inside.

I started writing this post when the battery was at 39% and the phone is already down to 21%. WTF?
    12-16-2012 10:13 PM
64 123