03-08-2013 08:46 PM
64 123
tools
    Update: Today I left for work at 98%, turned off Bluetooth, wifi, NFC, and data. Every background app is blocked. I checked the phone 5 hrs later with no use and it was at 27%, I turned battery saver on and checked it again in 2 hours it was dead. This is not at the point where it is unusable. I love this phone but a fix is needed.
    12-17-2012 04:04 PM
    I really wish there was a log to show what is happening. Just something you could switch on and see what the phone is doing.
    12-17-2012 04:10 PM
    Similar things happened to me 3 times. One of them is caused by Skype (When Skype is the problem, your phone will have problem syncing your main email account), the other two are caused by Facebook app (both times I stayed a couple of hours in my doctor's office where no cell signal, no wifi available. I am guessing somehow facebook app went into infinite loop in syncing)

Anyway, try to uninstall Skype and Facebook, then restart your phone (soft restart is enough). This would solve the battery draining issue that are caused by these two apps.

Update: Today I left for work at 98%, turned off Bluetooth, wifi, NFC, and data. Every background app is blocked. I checked the phone 5 hrs later with no use and it was at 27%, I turned battery saver on and checked it again in 2 hours it was dead. This is not at the point where it is unusable. I love this phone but a fix is needed.
    12-17-2012 04:21 PM
    check to see if it is Whatsapp.
    12-17-2012 04:25 PM
    I really wish there was a log to show what is happening. Just something you could switch on and see what the phone is doing.
    This. My battery is still draining. The only thing I haven't tried is uninstalling everything.
    12-17-2012 04:35 PM
    Try rebooting. Recently I had two consecutive days of subpar battery life (disabling background tasks didn't help) and so just tried rebooting and the battery life came back normal. It seems like something in OS, app or HW got in a bad state that drained battery faster than normal, even when idle. One thing I did a lot during those two days was to try out a bunch of new apps. Maybe it has something to do with it? Anyhow, rebooting fixed it. Coming from WP7, I never reboot my phone but it looks like L920 could use occasionally reboots (maybe daily in the morning?) for smoother operation. Hopefully the new update fixes this.
    12-17-2012 04:52 PM
    I for some reason noticed significant battery drain after installing the locksider app, don't know if it was trying over and over again to grab images or what but after un-installing it set my battery back to its normal lifespan..
    At first I thought it was the lockslider app as well so I uninstalled it. my phone lasted for one day then the battery drain started again.
    12-17-2012 07:03 PM
    Try to disable contact between microsoft servers and your phone. Maybe this is just due to some of the servers being down and the phone attempting to contact them.
    12-17-2012 07:43 PM
    This just happened to me today, too. Almost a complete drain at work with it on idle the entire day. The only recent change was the extras+info update (version 1.6.1.62 now). I've tried rebooting a couple times with no real luck. I'm going to drain it all/most of the way (at 28% now when I'd usually be at 92%) and see if a recharge helps.
    12-17-2012 08:06 PM
    I have a small theory on the battery drain issue. I could be completely off base here.. but I wonder if this may be what is happening. Let me know your thoughts.

I have multiple apps installed on my phone. I noticed that prior to installing apps that have background tasks or location services, that the battery would last a very long time. After installing some apps that use background tasks or location services that the battery drain issue seems to rear its ugly head.

I wonder if there is some kind of bug in the WP8 OS that allows the apps that run background tasks / Location services to continue to loop in the background trying to connect and update when they can't (phone locked and Wi-Fi disabled). I have tried disabling all my background tasks, turning off NFC etc. and I still seem to get the draining battery issue. It's like something is stuck looping in the background draining the battery.

Now I know that MS has an update coming soon that enables you to keep Wi-Fi alive... I wonder once that update gets pushed out and these apps that are looping in the background can finally update if the battery drain issue will resolve itself as it will finally be able to connect and complete its task and stop the looping (continuously trying to complete.)

This is just a theory.. And Like I said I could be completely wrong,. but I am curious if the upcoming update fixes this issue.
    newfiend~
    12-17-2012 08:31 PM
    Not sure if this has been mentioned in this particular thread or not, so I apologize if it has already been discussed. Normally I can get about 2 days use without a recharge, but I've noticed that occasionally (maybe once a week or two) I get the dreaded battery drain problem. I've found the solution for my phone's battery issues, and hopefully it will resolve others' battery issues too.

Last time I had the bad battery drain I checked the battery log to see what was going on. For most of the day it had been draining at about 1-3% an hour, and then mid-afternoon it jumped to something like 12-14% drainage an hour with no change in any of the phone's settings (I used 'Battery Status' to monitor drainage). I'd read before that the official statement on battery drain was something to do with Skype or Facebook syncing in a loop. I don't have Skype, so I checked Facebook (not the app, but the built in account).

I went into settings + email & accounts and noticed that the Facebook account was "not up to date". I tried to manually synced Facebook and received the 'unable to sync' error (or whatever it says). I manually synced again and the second time it synced correctly. I continued to monitor battery drain for the rest of the day. As soon as I was able to sync FB, the battery drain disappeared. I was back to about 1-3% drain per hour. I haven't had battery drain since, so I haven't been able to really double check to see if this works every time. I'll report back if it happens again.

So for those having issues, maybe check the same settings and try to manually sync Facebook. Just to be clear, I mean the Facebook account tied to the phone and NOT the Facebook app. This was the solution for me. Hope that helps.
    01-11-2013 07:04 PM
    I had a similar problem. My L920 would go from a full charge to 10% in about 4-5 hours with very minimal usage in that time. I checked in accounts and for some reason my MS account was syncing and failing every second or so. I've switched this back to once a day and so far it's been much better.

It looks like my MS acct somehow messed the password up, selecting "show password" and it just displayed ****************, re-entering my password has fixed the sync & hopefully the battery drain.
    03-08-2013 01:29 AM
    I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the display+touch and extras+info updates I got a couple of days back. Up until then the battery was great. But now I'm having the same issues everyone else seems to be having. Have tried doing multiple soft resets. I haven't downloaded or updated any apps. The only thing left is a hard reset, but I'm keeping that as a last resort.

Hopefully Nokia can figure out what the heck is happening and fix it!
    03-08-2013 02:29 AM
    Well, my 920 is nice and toasty right now and the battery is draining at a spectacular rate. Only thing out of the ordinary I did was launch Skype for the first time in weeks. That, and the display and extras updates came in yesterday. Not sure what's to blame, but this is super annoying. Do 8X users have these issues as well, or is HERE Drain a Nokia exclusive?
    03-08-2013 08:46 PM
64 123