Advice for New Owner of Nokia 920

gerbilly

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Just informed my phone has been dispatched and I will receive tomorrow. (Red Nokia 920)

My phone history is all I Phones up until the 4S, I have also had a HTC Desire and a Sony Xperia S.

For the last 10 years I have always used a Mac computer and I have over 170gb of music in I Tunes. However bored senseless with Apple phones and their ancient IOS.

I am aware that i have to download an app for windows for synching content from I Tunes, however what other things would you advise.
My favourite apps on my I Pad are Shazam, G Mail, HP E Print, Kindle, Flixster, Tune In Radio and Sky Go.

Any advice therefore in what to do or download, I also have an i cloud email as well as hotmail and a gmail account so I hope this will be ok.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the world of WP. I too went for the switch, but two years ago. And I have to say I'm happy I made the right choice.
As long as you're not a big APP person, or love to play one million games on your "phone", you would love WP.
(plus, I had 300+ apps on my WP7 and at least 100 now on my L920 too, so I wouldn't say WP has not enough apps, at all.)

Yes you can sync both your gmail and hotmail with account in settings, very easy to set up.
For music, if you don't have a Windows (preferably Win8 to sync with the Windows Phone app), it might be a bit harder to sync. But I think the newest Windows Phone connector for Mac should work fine, anyone can elaborate on this?

Shazam, Kindle, Flixster, Tunein are all in marketplace for awhile already. Don't think there's HP E Print, and I don't know about Sky Go at all.
There's a lot of threads here for transitioning and new WP8 users, check them out at the Windows Phone 8 thread.
I will be posting some of my must-have apps by category in the next few days. Feel free to tune in! ;D

L920 is the sexiest phone alive, and in my opinion the best smartphone out there. So enjoy!

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I use my Hotmail account for everything on the phone, and ms in general, it helps with syncing, so after I setup my phone, when I got a windows 8 pc, I logged in with Hotmail and all my settings were there.

you can use their built in facebook features through the people section but I find it is sometimes limiting so I still keep the facebook app on the phone

gmail sync for me has not been an issue, you can also import all your gmail settings into outlook.com very easily.

skydrive is great/nice and easy to manage files from any pc and windows phone, I also believe it is now on xbox

I cant begin to say how surprised I am at the audio quality for recording, this thing records concerts almost perfect. I am a musician and I forgot my regular recording device for practice so I just set up my phone to capture audio and it was extremely clean with no distortion.

moving the music should be pretty easy it just depends on what file format you buy your songs in, I stick to mp3's because they are pretty universal between devices and I have no trouble moving them.

I do miss one feature from previous phones and it drives me nuts, you cant customize your own notifications tones.

also note, if you want a ringtone to work there is one weird thing I found. If you use an mp3, you CANNOT have it stored in the phone under music and then copy paste it to ringtones, it just wont recognize, you HAVE TO move it from your computer straight to the ringtone folder.

hope that helps.
I love the phone so far cant wait to see some updates and more apps

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
spiderzWPC gave a good response. i would expand a little bit on that. here's an explanation on media formats for wp8:

Media support
According to Brandon Miniman's test review for pocketnow.com, he stated "if Zune can play it, your Windows Phone 7 device can play it" ? this refers to the supported playback of files.[SUP][41][/SUP] The audio file formats supported include WAV, MP3, WMA, AMR, AAC/MP4/M4A/M4B and 3GP/3G2 as standards. The video file formats supported include WMV, AVI, MP4/M4V, 3GP/3G2 and MOV (QuickTime) standards. Unlike the previous Windows Mobile operating system, there are currently no third-party applications for handling other video formats. The image file formats that are supported include JPG/JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIF and Bitmap (BMP).[SUP][44][/SUP][SUP][45][/SUP]
Custom ringtones under 1MB, and less than 40 seconds long and the genre marked as Ringtone to appear on the phone, and are either created on the computer or downloaded through apps. Custom ringtones cannot be used for text messages, IMs or emails.

apps that i'd recommend just from a personal preference that will help make your wp8 experience even better are:

-metrotube for youtube
-weather flow for weather app and nice lock screen integration. if you need radar for weather then amazing weather is honorable mention.
-mehdoh if you like to twitter alot
-integrated facebook in people hub. make sure to add your facebook account to your microsoft account and enable facebook chat in your facebook settings within your microsoft account. i also like the microsoft made facebook app (some people dont) but i use that with the integrated people hub for all my facebook needs.
-there's no good music or video app for wp8 yet so you have to use the integrated ones. but VLC is coming for wp8 so the video apps will get a huge upgrade as far as playing other formats like avi or mkv.
-nokia creative studio for touching up your photos. for the daytime photos i use the clarity option to add sharpness to the photothat's lost from the over softening algorithm that the camera has right now. nokia has acknowledge this and will come out with a fix for it.
-nokia drive+ beta for navigation has gotten better now and doesn't have the battery issues it had at release.
-netflix app i use alot for watching movies over wifi.
-if you dont want to use the people hub to post pics (which i dont see why you wouldnt, it works very well) then somee is a very good app for posting pics to facebook, twitter, etc.
-if you like to use IM instead of SMS to talk to friends then metrotalk is a very good option.
-smart shot i use alot when taking pics, it helps you get the best pic by taking 5 quick shots and allowing you to choose the best out of them then deletes the others.
-skype for well.....skype. hehe.
-skydrive for a free 7gb of data backup. cant beat that.

thats all i can think of now. hope this helps.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
one thing for sure, my pass experience, from n8 till 920, gorilla glass is not invincible, get a screen protector.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro