Google makes Gmail sync harder on rival platforms by dropping Exchange ActiveSync for consumers | The Verge

Well Google just screwed themselves big time, both on Android and other platforms. Well more corporate users for us then!

So glad I switched to Outlook a few months ago.
    12-14-2012 03:58 PM
    Google is going to say the best Gmail experience can be had on an Android device.
    Microsoft is going to say the best email experience can be had on a Windows Phone / Outlook.com

The consumer is going to go with what is best for them. Google's move to cripple EAS and bunk up the IMAP sync to my Lumia 920 made me go with the lesser of two evils. Other users will take the opposite approach and some simply won't care and it will be business as usual for them. This is strategic for both parties. Google lessens their support for non-Android devices and takes away Windows Phone as an option to access Gmail.
    12-14-2012 04:13 PM
    I just switched all my domains over to outlook.com....I did it last night before I heard about this, now I am really happy I did that. One more reason to hate google and people think that MS is the big evil company.
    Klevis likes this.
    12-14-2012 04:20 PM
    Google is going to say the best Gmail experience can be had on an Android device.
    Microsoft is going to say the best email experience can be had on a Windows Phone / Outlook.com

The consumer is going to go with what is best for them. Google's move to cripple EAS and bunk up the IMAP sync to my Lumia 920 made me go with the lesser of two evils. Other users will take the opposite approach and some simply won't care and it will be business as usual for them. This is strategic for both parties. Google lessens their support for non-Android devices and takes away Windows Phone as an option to access Gmail.
    Of course for the average user this might not have that huge an effect but for companies that rely on Exchange for email services this makes Android basically a non-starter, and those users are going to have to go somewhere and hopefully that somewhere will be Windows Phone.
    12-14-2012 04:21 PM
    This could backfire for them in the corporate world where exchange is needed..and push all those customers they could have had right to windows phone.. Thanks for more customers Google. 😊
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    Klevis likes this.
    12-14-2012 04:27 PM
    Of course for the average user this might not have that huge an effect but for companies that rely on Exchange for email services this makes Android basically a non-starter, and those users are going to have to go somewhere and hopefully that somewhere will be Windows Phone.
    I don't see anything that says Android is dropping support for Exchange. Google is dropping ActiveSync support for Gmail accounts; WP users can use IMAP to sync Gmail and Android users can still sync mail from Exchange servers.
    12-14-2012 05:02 PM
    Seems like a it's part of a broader strategy to undermine MS. It will be easier for them if it's just them and Apple dominating the market. That way they'll just have to copy the look and feel of IOS. Trying to copy live tiles on top of it makes it a bit complicated.
    Klevis likes this.
    12-14-2012 05:22 PM
    i setup my gmail account as a regular gmail account and not as an exchange account because i can't search mails on the server (it always returned an error). setting it up as a gmail account works.
    12-14-2012 08:59 PM