It's happening "multiple people had windows phones"

CoZmicShReddeR

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: It's happening

Instagram seems to be another one of those "You guys gotta have it otherwise your gonna fail apps!" I am just wondering who starts this crap? Is it Apple and Google trying to funnel a way to make people feel like they are missing out on something if they choose Microsofts products over theirs? I think they will all be here sooner or later not really worried about turning my WP8 into something it's not... Anyways I have not seen anyone other then my son and daughter using the WP8...

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Wife and I went out tonight, and for the first time ever multiple people had windows phones. It was an odd experience. I had complete strangers coming up to me and asking for advice on their phones. Everyone loved their Lumia 920's (6 people) and were moving from android and ios. All said their new (lumia) was the best phone they've ever had, however, finding the right apps seems to be a problem for them. sidebar: This damn istagram is A HUGE PROBLEM for window phone. It was the number one complaint! Anyway...it was nice to see others sporting the phone. I hope it continues.

where do you live?

jsgiv

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you know about the app or not. Whether you use it or not, or whether you like it or not.

It is what is popular, and it IS where the users are.
It is what counts.

It's not filters, it's the community

I'd argue it is more the filters and people posting their pics to Facebook - only a few people I know that use the app actually post to Instagram - they use it primarily to push their pics to FB. Ultimately from a business perspective - I'd imagine that the Instagram "community" becomes integrated directly into the Facebook community/application. It doesn't make sense to continue to support 2 separate/splintered "communities"...

Agreed at the end of the day it is what's popular - however - there are supporting apps that provide "like" capabilities to Instagram - (there's 1 built-in with the L920). That being said (yes they're not the "same") - with obvious growth numbers with the introduction of WP8 (and they are much more significant when compared to the launch of WP7), as well as the continued usage/sales of WP7 handsets on the cheap - I'd expect that either MS, or some other enterprising developer, come out with an application using the Instagram API in the next few months.

In either case - I think some here put way too much value on a single application, or, for that matter, an eco-system. The majority of users out there use *maybe* 10-20% of a given phone/eco-system's capabilities. Most everyone here on these forums are technical in nature or very tech-savvy. The "average" user, while vastly improved over these past 10 years or so, is not... :)

They're pretty much like my wife, father-in-law, brother, sister, etc. They want a phone that sends/receives their email/Text/SMS/MMS. They want a phone that browses the internet for quick look up of things they experience during the day. They want a phone that takes decent pictures to share via said services. They want a phone that has a few apps that add to the experience (but not necessarily all of them use the SAME apps - in certain cases - they don't use apps at all). They want a phone that they can access their financial information/accounts with.

More importantly - they want a phone that is extremely easy to use and unique to them and their daily lives. So to say that people won't buy a phone "just because it doesn't have Instagram" is pretty absurd. That's not what I hear when I go to the phone store - people are more interested in how it looks, how it feels, the size, and are typically looking for one thing: either get the "upgrade" (i.e. from iPhone 4->5), or bored with what they have and are looking for something "different".

As noted as a point of this thread - I've seen a significant amount of new users/people using WP7/8 devices out in the "wild" compared to several years ago. While it's certainly noted that WP7/8 is still a very small portion of the overall market share, businesses (i.e. where I work) are, in fact, taking notice of the dramatic increase in sales. Whereas before, many companies took a "pass" on WP7, they can no longer take a pass this time around.

zyran

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

It doesn't matter if Instagram is an app to weigh how much I pooped today or if an app which could end poverty with one tap, if the lack of it is putting people off WP, it is important.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey, people at Instagram. I think Berlusconi has a new Nokia is lacking your app. Maybe you release it fast, before he talk to his Mobile shop friend in Palermo... Might'te be better for your health. ;-)

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I'm in Youngstown, Ohio, and I've actually had several people ask about my Lumia. I was at Pizza Hut and my waitress noticed my red phone and asked what it was. I was at Chic-Fil-A and one of the staff saw it and actually knew what it was... most surprising since she's an older lady. She was interested in it, so she asked how I like it. I've had several people ask about Surface too when they see me with it. I've had countless coworkers asking about them both.

This is a very good thing. I'm excited that people are actually noticing. Whether it turns into purchases or not is another matter... I know one of my coworkers went to T-Mobile store intending to buy the 810, but was "pressured" into a Galaxy S3, because according to the sales rep, "Windows Phone is too techy." But people are getting exposure, and if the experience we report is positive (and it largely is, bugs aside), it will translate into continued interest... FINALLY.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

While I have not seen a lot of Win 8 phones myself, people do recognize my phone when it is out (920).....which is very different from my experience with 900.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for explaining Instagram to me the outsider ;-)
I always wonder how this crap (sorry ot say this, but that's my impression after wachting that clip) gets so popular? It seems to be like these thinks that get popular, becomes the "IN" thing to do, making you an outsider if you don't, and nobody really knows why. Reminds me of certain girls/boys in school who were popular, and if you once asked why, nobody could give real good reasons beyond "She's cool". I'm not sure, but I guess that people who are aksing for the the point of a certain app are not the ones to download and use it without thingking ... I don't know. But what can I say, I never got the point of Facebook either (And I tried it out! The account has been deleted meanwhile). Well, a shoulder-shrug-smilie is very much missed now ... seems to be one of those things I'm not meant to get.

Back to subject ... I've only seen one Lumia 920 in the wild so war, by a lady standing at the opposite side of the road. Guess the size is no issue for ladies as we can put it into our handbags easily :winktongue: I guess my yellow Lumia will attract quite a few stares as I've never seen anyone with a yellow phone in the wild!

I know one of my coworkers went to T-Mobile store intending to buy the 810, but was "pressured" into a Galaxy S3, because according to the sales rep, "Windows Phone is too techy."
Huh???

Silent Rage

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

At the university where I work, I get a lot of traffic outside my office window and I have seen more WP8 users. I could easily spot the Lumia 920 owners especially with the size and unique colors. So far, I've had six students in the past couple weeks showing me a WP8 with all but one owning a Lumia 920. The other one was a Lumia 810 with T-Mobile.

HD7_Owner

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

I hear ya. Reason I didn't switch to fruitphone is because I'm seeing them every where, and being Asian, I didn't want to fit in the typical stereotyping group. I didn't like izoid,because I value my privacy and security of the net. I like windows mainly because I believe bill and Melinda gates are doing good deeds to help out third world countries.

I've always liked Nokia, but after N900, I made the switch to windows os, and have been very loyal to windows since.
Although, I did buy iPad, iMac. But they are now collecting dust in my bedroom closet.

As per my profile. I used to have HD7, but gave it to my nephew. I also bought N900, and also gave that to my niece. Pretty soon my surface rt will be handed over to my sister. Don't know how long my Nokia 920 will be with me, but if surface phone , or Nokia 930 are coming. I'll be getting one of them.

Kulti

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys, here in Turkey things are moving slow for Windows Phones. I got my white 920 about a month ago from a Nokia Shop, and the guys there said that every single shipment they got was sold within the hour. I am working at a university and the students are quite trigger happy to jump on any new tech that's out there even if it is not officially sold in Turkey. As of yet I have only seen one student with a WP8 device. By the way I also got a Surface from a friend who is doing his doctorate in the States and am loving it.

One other thing, my 920 got stuck after a hard reset and it seems Nokia does not do a refund or replacement here in Turkey, so I had to have it serviced which took about a week.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

It doesn't matter if Instagram is an app to weigh how much I pooped today or if an app which could end poverty with one tap, if the lack of it is putting people off WP, it is important.
Sad but true.

Sadder yet, when Instagram finally makes its way over to Windows Phone it will be passe and something else will become the must have app.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I dunno. It is a bit like saying "we cannot succeed until Google Maps is on our platform." Not sure if I buy it.

More focus should go towards emphasizing WP only apps that people will want, rather than catching up to the mediocre stuff on other platforms with a crappy port.

For instance, I recently blew away a Google-employee colleague by showing him MetroTube. His jaw was just on the floor. He was a little steamed when I told him that Google's pronouncement that it won't develop for WP means that we will actually see good apps with fluid UI and no spyware. ;)

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

To be honest...I knew one of the new owners pretty well. He saw my 900 and my 920 but told him to buy what he wants because I really don't want to be responsible for someone's smartphone happyness. I've been there...it's not worth it. Every issue they have becomes yours. But what I did tell him was to try whatever he wants, and if you're not happy happy, return it (AT&T) and try the 920. So he "tried" the HTC One-X+, said it was fun but just too much work and not "easy" (previous iPhone user). He does a lot of group text messaging and said he simply couldn't deal with android's group text (lack thereof) so he decided to try the 920. Long story short, the quote was "best

how do I group text?phone i've ever owned...where's the instagram app?"

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Sorry for the bum message above. I wanted to ask how I group text. My android was great at scrolling down the list and selecting people, can I do that on my Lumia? Also, is there any way to make it use a capital "I" when texting without using the caps button?

liamjanin

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I don't get it with instagram. It totally trashes otherwise good photos.

A lot of people post their photos without adding filters. Or they use a separate app to edit their shots and then upload it to instagram. The draw is definitely the community. Its just like twitter but with photos. People also get trapped into the whole, measuring their self-worth by how many followers they have. haha

Fred Garvin MP

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I saw another guy with a Lumia 920 (He had a black one also) at the coffee shop today, and we high fived each other! It was pretty hilarious / geeky, but it made us both laugh ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss