Play music through USB in the car

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have this after market head uint...AVIC-F900BT - In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with DVD Playback and Built-In Bluetooth | Pioneer Electronics USA

I can make calls via bluetooth but I cannot play my music from my Lumina 920. When I play music it comes out of the phone's speaker. Anyway to get this to work to have music play via bluetooth?

As long as it supports BT audio, then yes, it should work. Chances are after pairing the phone you need to change the audio source on the stereo to "Aux" or BT" channel. It likely doesn't happen automatically when you pair the phone.

You may want to get a hold of Pioneer's support group or their forums to see how you can do it.

tranite

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
My Sony stereo lets me charge, listen to music and take calls and listen to messages luckily. Its not the stereo that come with the car but it does everything for ?100 :)

Only annoyance is sometimes it doesn't automatically connect to bt but i hear that will be updated.

I take it there is no way of linking one of the buttons on the stereo to the windows button so i can call out without touching my phone??

Cool. Does this Sony allow you to skip and pause songs on your Windows Phone? I have a Pioneer, but it won't let me skip through songs, so I have to do this on the phone.

I do not think it possible to link the Windows button, but some Bluetooth devices support this. I gave my brother a device that have speech function, and when he presses the speech button its the same as the Windows button. That allows him to make calls without touching his phone.

Colin Reader

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I have a very similar and frustrating problem. I have got a Vauxhall Insignia. My IPhone used to work a treat and play music all the time with out even blinking.

My Nokia 920 however, will some times not recognise it and say there's no supported data, I have to unplug the USB and re-plug it several times before it works, other times it will pick it up and start playing but then stops after 1 song and you have to tell it to move to next track manually.

occasionally I am listening to music and I can hear a funny noise and it is playing through the Car stereo and playing a separate song through the phone speaker.

I really am considering moving back to IPhone as it just did what it should do and the car picked it up as an IPhone not a PNP device or what ever it is.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a very similar and frustrating problem. I have got a Vauxhall Insignia. My IPhone used to work a treat and play music all the time with out even blinking.

My Nokia 920 however, will some times not recognise it and say there's no supported data, I have to unplug the USB and re-plug it several times before it works, other times it will pick it up and start playing but then stops after 1 song and you have to tell it to move to next track manually.

occasionally I am listening to music and I can hear a funny noise and it is playing through the Car stereo and playing a separate song through the phone speaker.

I really am considering moving back to IPhone as it just did what it should do and the car picked it up as an IPhone not a PNP device or what ever it is.
I'm just surprised you found one that you can play music through via USB! I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I need to use BT for music with my Lumia.

alfonz

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I use Bluetooth for music streaming. Works wonders on my built-in Parrot MKi9200 and sounds really nice. Also the audio controls on bluetooth work as well.

I haven't tried the usb option yet but I don't see the need to.

LukeWasHere

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't believe this is the case - I am able to charge my Lumia with an old LG charger marked 4.8v, 0.4amp - that is really low for a phone charger. It won't charge on a Subaru's builtin usb port apparently because it thinks it's incompatible.

LukeWasHere

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I just noticed it doesn't show up when using a normal microusb cable, but when using a charge-only cable (Only charge pins, not data pins), it does charge!

It's unfortunate that the car trying to detect the phone as mass storage device disables WP charging, if the charging is handled by Windows this can probably be fixed at some point though though software update, I hope.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Depends on the car I guess.

Like the OP, we have a Hyundai sedan which doesn't work with my Lumia over USB. It appears to be rather strict, working with specific Apple handhelds, and even requiring a special Hyundai cable for some models.

Thankfully I can fall back into Bluetooth, which works great. But USB is a no go, no getting around that.
My dad's iPod shuffle actually didn't work right either.

Bryon Burns

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Unless they change the way the phone is "seen" by a PC or device, this will never work universally. When you plug in most windows phones, a special driver is installed on a PC to allow it to be accessed, as the phone is exposed as a compound device. This driver enables you to see the phone storage areas separately from each other rather than from a root directory like iphone/android. Windows Mobile phones did it this way too. HOWEVER, windows mobile had a feature that allowed you to toggle the phone/device to interface through MTP or act as a Mass Storage device. It is as a mass storage device that in car stereos read the mp3/mp4/wma files raw, like on a hard drive, allowing you to see album art that is stored, and to fully control playback. Microsoft needs to add that functionality. They already have the ability to toggle USB connections as data connections on certain models, this would just be an extension of that. While they are at it, they could extend the Bluetooth profiles to allow album art and track titles to stream over Bluetooth. My car stereo used to read these from my Samsung Omnia over Bluetooth, but ever since I switched to Lumia phones, I lost that ability.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Unless they change the way the phone is "seen" by a PC or device, this will never work universally. When you plug in most windows phones, a special driver is installed on a PC to allow it to be accessed, as the phone is exposed as a compound device. This driver enables you to see the phone storage areas separately from each other rather than from a root directory like iphone/android. Windows Mobile phones did it this way too. HOWEVER, windows mobile had a feature that allowed you to toggle the phone/device to interface through MTP or act as a Mass Storage device. It is as a mass storage device that in car stereos read the mp3/mp4/wma files raw, like on a hard drive, allowing you to see album art that is stored, and to fully control playback. Microsoft needs to add that functionality. They already have the ability to toggle USB connections as data connections on certain models, this would just be an extension of that. While they are at it, they could extend the Bluetooth profiles to allow album art and track titles to stream over Bluetooth. My car stereo used to read these from my Samsung Omnia over Bluetooth, but ever since I switched to Lumia phones, I lost that ability.

Yes we need that feature because I have a good few songs on my sd card and cannot plug and play in the car, tv or my multi input music player in my home.

Kurt Kristoffersen

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I rent new cars year around and none so far have recognized my Nokia Icon Windows 8.1 phone, I am tired to see colleges using their Droid and iPhones remotely checking all kinds of stuff at their homes while on the road....such as cameras, light, air conditions, PC up and downloads, burglar alarms, and then plugging in on any of my rental cars and see how perfect all these for them now "common" user features are non or almost non accessible even with a flagship windows phone, I do not know what windows 10 will bring to windowsphone but if I do not get access to all these "common" android and iPhone features, I will skip Microsoft and raise the white flag and change to Iphone and Apple computers, I really hate to do this but Apple really has invented the technologys spinning wheel in media and remote communication where's Microsoft still are pushing a sledge around hoping somebody's apps one day maybe will give the windows phone user the same "common" features as at Apple and Android.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb