Play music through USB in the car

anon(5354375)

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I own a Hyundai Sonata 2012 which has a USB port that worked perfectly for listening to music on my iPhone. It doesn't work with my Lumia 920 however. Says can't read device or something along those lines. Any solutions? Has anyone had success playing music through USB in their car?

yellowjacketphoto

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am having this same problem with my lumia 920 and it SUCKS. i want to be able to charge my phone via USB while I listen to music. Using the f-aux input is ok for now i guess...

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the USB ports on Hyundai cars only are designed to work either with iPod devices or USB Mass Storage devices. Since Windows Phones need special drivers I am not surprised. I have an 2012 Elantra.

Ted Ritsick

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I put a head unit into my car and it doesn't even recognize it on USB. I need to go AUX but on the bright side, you can have a bit of a rigged hands free if you get an aux cable with a mic. It's like $15 at walmart and works great.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I also think the Lumia's need a higher amp power charger then what the iPod/iPhone use typically which is why it won't even charge.

Connor Bunch

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not even sure if the phone supports streaming audio via USB. But someone please correct me if I am wrong. But as a sidenote, i would reccomend to all of you to stream via bluetooth if possible. Especially in modern car radios bluetooth streaming gives you superior audio quality, because the car radio gets to decode the file, and then amplify it. Unlike aux where the phone decodes and amplifies it, and then your car must amplify it again. Not saying audio quality is bad with aux, but bluetooth would be better. As for charging, get a 12v cig to USB adapter, and assuming you are using bluetooth, that's only one cord! (Just as a side note though, if your radio does not support internal bluetooth, using an aux-bluetooth dongle would not enhance audio quality at all. So if that's the case, just use a regular aux cable.

Connor Bunch

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not even sure if the phone supports streaming audio via USB. But someone please correct me if I am wrong. However, I would reccomend to all of you to stream via bluetooth if possible. Especially in modern car radios bluetooth streaming gives you superior audio quality, because the car radio gets to decode the file, and then amplify it. Unlike aux where the phone decodes and amplifies it, and then your car must amplify it again. Not saying audio quality is bad with aux, but bluetooth would be better. As for charging, get a 12v cig to USB adapter, and assuming you are using bluetooth, that's only one cord! (Just as a side note though, if your radio does not support internal bluetooth, using an aux-bluetooth dongle would not enhance audio quality at all. So if that's the case, just use a regular aux cable.

kyle7286

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Same thing here in my 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe. My droid phone worked flawlessly. My windows Phone does not work at all when plugged in. I have to bluetooth.. but doesnt charge that way...

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't work because you need USB mass storage. The 920 doesn't have true USB mass storage, it uses MTP. They're also designed to work with iPhone/iPod so that's why you can use your iPhone.

I've got bluetooth on my Kia Forte Koup so I just use that along with a car charger. More convenient than usb anyway, except I can't see the song info or change song like I could if I were to connect through USB.

Greg West

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
The dumb**s move by NOKIA/MS to use MTP and not allow the phone to stream audio via usb is the ONLY reason I've not switched from my iphone 4.
I even bought an ALPINE stereo head unit and tried that, as they supposedly work with NOKIA phones, but...'device error'! WTF!

The way it works with the iPhone is just so convenient: plays music at high quality through USB, can use the phone to navigate all my music (rather than cumbersome head unit navigation) and...all the while my phone is being charged. How bloody brilliant is that?!

What a f**king shambles. Nokia/MS have lost thousands of customers for the 'missing' feature and I am resigned to waiting for the next iteration of the iPhone. Sigh.

o1legacygt

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have not used USB in my 13 VW Passat with premium sound package. I typically like using USB over bluetooth because of functionality. However, bluetooth works great in this car with this phone. It shows the title and artist of the song in the head unit. Also I can use all the hand controls in the wheel. :) So ultimately, I am getting the same functionality out of bluetooth as I would a mass storage devices via usb.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have not used USB in my 13 VW Passat with premium sound package. I typically like using USB over bluetooth because of functionality. However, bluetooth works great in this car with this phone. It shows the title and artist of the song in the head unit. Also I can use all the hand controls in the wheel. :) So ultimately, I am getting the same functionality out of bluetooth as I would a mass storage devices via usb.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind it as much if I could get the OEM stereo to use the steering wheel remote, but alas, it cannot.
I thought about getting a better head-unit, but of the ones I have played with, they have the BT USB dongle and it is almost always staticy. Anyone find a decent after-market head-unit that has a decent-sounding BT receiver?

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Why not just get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack? May not charge but if you just want to listen to music, it does the job
Oddly, it doesn't as good as BT does. I also don't like that I need to kick-up the volume incredibly high on my phone to hear it on my car stereo, as when I disconnect it, the volume of the phone is still too damn high!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel