UK Portico update info?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I was under the impression with WP8 updates would be direct from Microsoft OTA and would bypass carriers but it looks like the process has just been streamlined or at least it seems so for this update for those on ATT or Verizon. I'm on Orange in the uk so I guess my update would come through EE, but I'm unable to find out any info on the release of the portico update for my 920. Does anyone have any ideas when we can expect it?

MikeTheYid

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
You were under the wrong impression unfortunately carriers will always want to do their testing before release. Luckily though it doesn't feel like we will be waiting ages like Android releases which happens about 6 months after the source code release. At&T probably had the update a week or two ago and tested it.

If not this month for EE it has to be January, surprising no unbranded EU firmware though.

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah Microsoft is being more active in the update process but carriers need to certify, even apple who updates quickly, universally across carriers and hosts and serves the updates themselves still provides builds to careers to test for compatibility before release.

RyanR47

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah Microsoft is being more active in the update process but carriers need to certify, even apple who updates quickly, universally across carriers and hosts and serves the updates themselves still provides builds to careers to test for compatibility before release.

Then how it it that Apple can ensure all devices, doesn't matter which corner of the world and which carrier you use can ensure synchronous updates? If apple can do it, why can't Microsoft and Nokia provide similar functionality?

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have bought an unlocked 820, and put a Three UK SIM in it, how would I get the update as I don't believe Three are ever going to supply this phone, so they will never approve an update for it.

Will it be downloadable from Nokia direct in the future?

Thanks.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have bought an unlocked 820, and put a Three UK SIM in it, how would I get the update as I don't believe Three are ever going to supply this phone, so they will never approve an update for it.

Will it be downloadable from Nokia direct in the future?

Thanks.

As with every other phone, the updates are actually provided by Nokia. If you have an unbranded device, you will get an update, it's just that it won't have to pass operator tests.

It seems, however, that Nokia don't care about customers outside the US and Canada, as apparently we have to wait 2 freaking months for the update, despite it being critical as far as Microsoft is concerned, and despite the fact that it's already been written because it's available from AT&T and Rogers.

After the stupidity of the Exclusivity agreements in the UK (that Nokia have apparently now backed down on), I just can't believe they've gone ahead and done something else equally insane.

I don't even have any (major) issues with my Lumia 920, I can't imagine how p***ed off some people must be to hear this news.

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Stop spreading bull****, MS and Nokia dropped the ball, unlocked phones DO NOT NEED carrier certification and update is not here.

ajorourke

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. The update is important, but at the same time, Nokia has a smaller userbase in the US and they might be using this to test the update before rolling it out across multiple countries, with multiple carriers, on multiple bands, in multiple languages.

That said, if Apple can do this, others really need to step up.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't mind if they were simply testing the update on a smaller userbase before rolling it out, I've said that before.

But the Mango update rolled out to every qualifying WP7 device in a month or less. At the moment, the best information is 2 months and there's not even any guarantee of that...

...it's also even more annoying that they seem to prioritise making carrier customisations over the unbranded userbase, who pay more for not having to wait for operator approval, and which is the typical way of rolling out updates.

Anyone who complains that AT&T are slow at updates from now on will be met with this example...so maybe it's just a PR exercise for them...

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I can absolutely wait for portico. What I am quite unhappy about is the camera firmware fix. Coming up to Christmas and New Year I have wanted to take pictures that would be a lot sharper than they are now. It's what's held me back from really getting into the camera so far. If Nokia would push the firmware fix separately I would be quite happy to wait for call reject and wifi always on.

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the answers. I was slightly concerned that I might not get the updates at all. That said, I haven't had any major issues with my phone yet, one bluetooth connectivity issue with my Sony head unit in my car, but solved by rebooting the phone (been fine ever since for calls and audio streaming), and the only other issue I've had is with Alphjax, if I click the notification to open the app, it crashes, but if I start the app and take my turn that way it's fine.

Overall I'm very pleased with it, definitely a step up from the Lumia 710 I had previously, though music playback on the 710 was a little better.

Does anyone know where I can get a new rear cover for the 820, all the reviews mention the swappable backplates, btu I haven't been able to find any. I need one becuase the backplate on my was damaged when I bought it - the reason why it was comparitively cheap :eek:)

Thanks.

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I can absolutely wait for portico. What I am quite unhappy about is the camera firmware fix. Coming up to Christmas and New Year I have wanted to take pictures that would be a lot sharper than they are now. It's what's held me back from really getting into the camera so far. If Nokia would push the firmware fix separately I would be quite happy to wait for call reject and wifi always on.

This!

I don't care about WP, I want stupid CAMERA FIX

gilesjuk

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Stop spreading bull****, MS and Nokia dropped the ball, unlocked phones DO NOT NEED carrier certification and update is not here.

Who are you going to complain to when your phone doesn't work? most likely it would be your phone network, you might call them up when you are unable to make calls (from another phone of course) and all along it turns out to be a compatibility problem.

Testing is about reducing the amount of negative publicity, complaints and support calls. I take it you've never been involved in releasing software that is rolled out on a national level? I have and trust me, you do a lot of testing!

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
ALL OF YOU WITH UNLOCKED 820/920 PHONES PLEASE READ THIS THAT WAS SENT TO ME BY NOKIA:
" I have checked into this for you the answer is that not all IMEI?s (handset serial numbers) are going to have the update available at the same time this is simply because everyone would try and update their handset at the same time causing the update to crash. I have it on good authority that the update should be available to you very soon however I cannot specify exactly what batch your handset will be in."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99