How long does a hard reset take?

Boost2Boob

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
When the lightning and the gear got stuck for 10 minutes I pressed the same hard reset buttons again and then the Nokia symbol came and the phone started.

The Sand

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I installed the Nokia update released a couple of nights ago and since then my phone hasn't worked right. After 2 days I finally got my GPS to locate me correctly but 90 percent of my live tiles aren't updating at all. I only have about 10 apps allowed to run in the background and update and most of them, like the battery app, are just sitting there doing nothing (I have to launch the battery app to get the live tile to update and show battery status.) Thus the hard reset when there was nothing left to try.

I had Windows Phone 7 and a hard reset was not a big deal and did not take that long. I have read above the phone is "backing up" which really I didn't want. The point of a hard reset is to get me back to scratch. It has been 2 hours and I am still looking at spinning gears. Hopefully it will come out of it but I am getting concerned. I will post back what ultimately happens here especially since I had a stellar device with no trouble until I installed the recent Nokia update.

The Sand

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
After 4 hours of seeing gears I used the flashing instructions for a bricked Lumia 920 (located in Sticky) and my Lumia 920 came around and is now fine...

Deepesh Kamath

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
My lumia920 is not switching ON after stopping hard reset. Is shows battery low symbol and when i plug charger is shows charging. The screen shows NOKIA in the middle of the screen. Somebody tell what to do??

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
My lumia920 is not switching ON after stopping hard reset. Is shows battery low symbol and when i plug charger is shows charging. The screen shows NOKIA in the middle of the screen. Somebody tell what to do??

Just wait, possibly the battery is too low.

It work for me in my Lumia 920 (bricked):

- Restart the phone in the gears screen (vol down + power button)
- At the Nokia logo press vol up - vol down - power btn - vol down (not at the same time)
- wait 5 minutes in the gears logo, phone will restart.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
When I had to return my first 920, hard reset took around 15-20min. I was worried it was stuck at the gears, but it was fine and restarted as expected.

gazmatic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
quick note.... never hard reset with less than 60% battery life

it really depends on how much stuff you had on your device

i factory reset once before the nokia lumia storage check app came out because i had around 9gb of other

it took about 15mins

if it goes to 20mins do a soft reset power + volume down until it vibrates

Sreegth

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
it took only 3 mins on my Lumia 720.I just backed up all my stuff and cleared all media files in my phone.It works fine for me....:excited:

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
now im afraid to hard reset my phone...:cry:
could anybody submit a ticket to MS regarding this bugs...? my phone wont even turn off even if its not charging...i tried turning it off, it wont. I am on Amber. I hate you Amber!

gadfreax

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I hard resetted my lumia 620 2 hrs ago, gears are still rotating!!! What to do?
Phone is in charging though
Will removing the battery and reinserting it help??

gadfreax

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Its over!!
I did the hard reset once, and after 30 mins, the phone rebooted !!

For hard reset, press and hold VOLUME DOWN-LOCK-CAMERA buttons for 10 seconds
For soft reset, do the same with VOL DOWN and LOCK

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Its over!!
I did the hard reset once, and after 30 mins, the phone rebooted !!

For hard reset, press and hold VOLUME DOWN-LOCK-CAMERA buttons for 10 seconds
For soft reset, do the same with VOL DOWN and LOCK

I guess my fingers were too short to do the Buttons reset method...coz i couldnt really do it! LOL. But I went for the other method, under the "settings" and resetted my phone, gears were turning for about 5 minutes or so...then it restarted. Issues resolved!

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I did a hard reset on a Lumia 920 last night - it took 90 minutes - it was only newly set up so just had a handful of apps, and one 300Mb map file - no idea why it should take that long - but the message is be patient and keep it on power.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss