How long does a hard reset take?

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am doing a factory restore on my lumia 920. ITs been stuck at the gears for 10 minutes. To people who have done a factory restore how long did it take to finish?

Jonas Jonsson

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If it takes longer than 20 minutes, there's probably a problem. I've done it a couple of times now, and it's been very quick (~10 minutes tops).

kbiyani

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
How long did it took for you? Did it finally finish?

Its been over 20 minutes and its still going on...

I had this weird problem, where phone would shutdown anytime without any notice. I would realize only when I pick up the phone that it could not be turned on. I had to soft reset it to get it to power on. I have been doing this for a few weeks.

I finally talked to Nokia support even after the recent update didn't fix it. The dumb lady there asked me to hard-reset the phone; she and Nokia apparently aren't aware of this problem at all.

It is still hard-resetting... Looks like I got a lemon

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I just did a hard reset on my 920 so that I could return it upon receipt of a replacement for repeated shutdowns, even after the update. I had the screen with the spinning gears for a good two hours and, despite repeated shutdowns and soft resets, it would not stop. I left it alone for a couple of hours further and it eventually finished. Very odd. At least now I can return the phone, and hopefully the new one does not have these issues.

dms489

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem - it spun for hours, and the phone got hot. I saw the above posts and did the volume down / power restart. It came up with an icon indicating that power was low. I put it on the charger and some time overnight, the phone began its wake-up process. I don't remember seeing the suggestion that it should be plugged in to power when resetting, but it seems that power was the problem in my case.

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Apparently during the process of hard reset, the phone backs up all your data,programs, settings, text, even call history, so when your new, replacement phone is set up, every thing is restored.

RobWarthen

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Mine was going forever also. Glad I saw this say something about waiting, but it is now 90 minutes and no luck so far. I do have it almost full.

It has been running low on battery a lot and it also has been getting hot. I turned off ALL background tasks, but still no luck. Figured I'd try this and slowly readd programs back until I figure out what was causing the problem.

William Marty

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 920 has been lagging all day, I wasn't able to do anything with it so I tried the following:
- Turn off and on again
- Drain battery
- Soft reset

none of the above seemed to solve the problem so I decided to do a hard reset. But now I am also stuck with the turning gears. It's been like this for over an hour now. Should I wait a couple more hours and see what happens or shall I try another soft reset?

mkalinski

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
William Marty

My Lumia 920 has been lagging all day, I wasn't able to do anything with it so I tried the following:
- Turn off and on again
- Drain battery
- Soft reset

none of the above seemed to solve the problem so I decided to do a hard reset. But now I am also stuck with the turning gears. It's been like this for over an hour now. Should I wait a couple more hours and see what happens or shall I try another soft reset?

Disable the screen magnifier.
I had the same problem on my lumia 920 and it was a the screen magnifier I activated a couple of days ago trust me ;)

I had the same problems with the hard reset, too.
I decided to soft and hardreset my phone with the following combination "Hold down Start button+volume down+camera button" your phone will reboot now and you will see these turning gears again! But dont become desperated. Do it after 5 minutes again and again it will help!

*CONNECT YOUR DEVICE WITH THE CHARGING CABLE! THIS STEP WILL TAKE MUCH BATTERY

After a few hard resets my phone is done in under 10 minutes.
You?d better reset as often you can.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I am doing a factory restore on my lumia 920. ITs been stuck at the gears for 10 minutes. To people who have done a factory restore how long did it take to finish?

Long long time. I wiped mine before returning for exchange, and it sat on the gears for what seemed like an hour or more. Eventually it worked - put it on AC power and let the gears spin. Check back in an hour or so.

You can try doing a soft reset (press and hold vol down and power for 10ish seconds) - I think I did that a couple times - but I bet that doesn't do anything other than interrupt the very slow process of hard resetting.

lita_g

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I did a hard reset last weekend, started around 1pm and kept thinking it was bricked since it was taking hours! I even did a few soft resets while the gears were turning to see if I could stop it (I had already waited like 2 hours before trying that). I even downloaded the files needed for unbricking. Then I went out for a few drinks, got back home around 11pm and the gears kept turning, I did another soft reset and it started back up. Weird little bugger, and besides fixing my problem syncing my hotmail, I don't see any improvements in performance, I think the battery is draining faster now. I need to fully drain the battery before I can say anything more about it though.

fkiehner

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine has been going for over 3 hours. Tried the vol down/power and vol down/pwr/camera. Get the ATT world screen and then the Nokia screen then it drops right into the spinning gears. Did this numerous times and the same thing happens. Going to let it run and see what happens. I am working for another 3 1/2 hours. If it hasn't finished by then, will look up the brick recovery procedure. I only have about 7G left so it may be doing a llllooooonnnnnnggggg back up. Will update when it finishes.

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Here's my experience today. I have been having the dreaded "Other" storage bug, where it and the "Apps" keps growing and growing, slowly, and also in great jumps for no good reason. As we know, MS is working on a fix in the next OS update. But on Thursday my "Other" instantly jumped up from 4 to 9GB and used up all my free space. I deleted all that I could and limped along on a half a Gig of free space until the work week was done and then I decided a Hard Reset was in order.

I backed up as much as I could on my laptop, and via the backup functions on the phone, then took the plunge.

I rabidly got to the spinning gears logo and connected the phone to the mains and waited. After a half hour I tried to soft reset it with no effect. I did several more over the next hour, also with no effect.

I began to despair, but decided to let it alone. The Gears kept spinning for nearly 2 1/2 hours!, then it happy proceeded to boot up. The firmware and OS were the latest versions and it was ready to start automatically load all my Apps. The system also was ready to open up all my email and Outlook accounts, all I needed was their passwords - a massive improvement over manually entering all the advanced credentials as usual.

So, I council patience before concluding your phone is bricked. I can't figure out why it takes so long, but at least in my case - it worked

good luck to all! and lets get the memory mess fixed Microsoft!!!

kiwiant

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Phone was taking about two hours and hard resets (from about dialog and vol down+power) weren't working. Removing the SIM card and pressing vol down+power+camera took about 3 mins for the reset. All good now.

SIM card wasn't recognised after the reset so I needed to do another phone restart.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos