12-23-2012 09:26 AM
98 1234
tools
    My phone also has taken a turn for the worse with battery life after the update. To all the people saying its a faulty phone, go get a new one is absurd. My phone never got below 25% at the end of the night using my phone all day every day. The update is the culprit not the phone. My phone has been hot all day until it died about 6 hours later. It was hot even sitting in my pocket not being used. I'm tired of exchanging phones, I'm tired of having to reflash my own phone because it bricked after a reset. Looks like I get to do it all over again. The 8X is looking better day by day.
    12-21-2012 01:41 AM
    no issues with mine.
    12-21-2012 01:48 AM
    i thought my battery drain after the update. indeed it does drain faster over night as compared to before the update. and to my suprise when i check into my email settings, both hotmail and gmail are set to a frequency of 30 mins by default! i remembered that i got it set to "as item arrive" before and the battery was great.
    12-21-2012 02:18 AM
    I've been pretty lucky with my 920....I haven't had ANY of the problems other people have had....no freezes, reboots, proximity sensor issues or anything. It's been pretty stellar actually. However, I definitely have much more battery drain than usual at idle. Just lost 50% last night, normally I'd expect 10% drain.

Trying soft-reset + airplane mode trick right now to see if it's just a calibration issue.
    12-21-2012 07:02 AM
    Meh - went from draining 4% over 7 hours of inactivity overnight to draining 6% over the same time.

No big deal. I think some are being a bit overdramatic in here.
    12-21-2012 08:53 AM
    Mine's been really weird on battery life, but is great right now. I got it in the first week they came out and the first cycle was poor, as I expected with setting up accounts, etc, etc. It was great for the next few days - 2 day plus battery life. Then it went into fast-drain mode, where it wouldn't stay charged through lunchtime. I let it completely drain a couple of times, removed some unused apps, and removed Drive - not sure if that was a problem or not. Since then, I get 2 days plus with light usage, just phone, texting, a few visits to the Net, over a day even with fairly heavy Net usage. I have it set to auto brightness, email hourly updates on two accts.
    12-21-2012 09:04 AM
    Make sure you set your instant messaging status to offline (swipe left in the in the messaging app to see if you are logged in messenger/live) . I was logged in without even knowing. My battery life has been great after the update
    12-21-2012 09:09 AM
    My phone also has taken a turn for the worse with battery life after the update. To all the people saying its a faulty phone, go get a new one is absurd. My phone never got below 25% at the end of the night using my phone all day every day. The update is the culprit not the phone. My phone has been hot all day until it died about 6 hours later. It was hot even sitting in my pocket not being used. I'm tired of exchanging phones, I'm tired of having to reflash my own phone because it bricked after a reset. Looks like I get to do it all over again. The 8X is looking better day by day.
    This is exactly how mine is ... I had no problems at all with battery life until this update ... and now my phone gets hot through out the day for nothing ... only time it used to get hot was playing games...

in just 1 hour it already has drained to 87% with like 15 minutes of phone calls... before the update I would have 95%+ left

I just turned off the keep WIFI on to see if that was the culprit

oh yeah and I let the battery drain completely out and let it charge for like 8 hours straight with no use ... looks like i'll have to try that again with 12 hours of charge time with no use
    12-21-2012 09:33 AM
    Meh - went from draining 4% over 7 hours of inactivity overnight to draining 6% over the same time.

No big deal. I think some are being a bit overdramatic in here.
    Just took my phone off the charger an hour ago and I'm down to 81% after browsing the wpcentral app and marketplace for 30 minutes. My phone is very hot to touch. I'm gonna flash back to Apollo with NaviFirm and live with the ****ty audio distortion. At least then I won't have to cripple my phone by disabling everything I own a smart phone for.
    12-21-2012 10:26 AM
    The update cannot be killing your battery if everyone who got the update isn't having the problem. My battery life hasn't changed.

There must be another factor.

Has anyone tried removing email accounts? When the previous gen phones were having battery life issues, it was often the result of a problem with yahoo mail. Something I've noticed this time around, is that while I don't have the issue, I don't have my gmail on the phone either... and people complaining appear to use gmail.

Just something to look at. It can't be the update alone if many of us are doing fine post update.
    12-21-2012 12:21 PM
    I have my phone setup exactly as before. No new apps, only have 3 apps in background tasks. My outlook email is set to as items arrive, NFC is off as well as Bluetooth and always on WiFi which I think is pointless, for me anyways. Only difference is portico.
    12-21-2012 12:33 PM
    I used the nokia care suite and "refurbished" my phone and now it's back to normal. 8 hours since last charge and still have 89% battery left.
    12-21-2012 12:41 PM
    What do you mean refurbished?
    12-21-2012 12:53 PM
    My battery has been thrown off the fiscal cliff after Portico....
    12-21-2012 01:01 PM
    There is an option in the suite to "refurbish" the phone which is just erasing all the data in the phone and re-installing the latest windows phone 8 OS for the selected phone.
    12-21-2012 01:33 PM
    My battery has been thrown off the fiscal cliff after Portico....
    I LOL'd at this comment.
    12-21-2012 01:33 PM
    If I were you, I would get a replacement.

I'm on my third one and so far so good. For the first week, I would let the battery drain all the way and then charge it to 100%.
    12-21-2012 01:49 PM
    I just restarted my phone and everything went back to normal ... must of been something stuck running ... hopefully it doesn't make a habbit of it ... i was down to like 60% before 1 with barley any use , restarted ... and now it's 520 and i have 54% still ... well that's my story
    12-21-2012 04:20 PM
    I had a huge battery drain problem before portico. And ever since I updated to portico its gone. My phone never even gets warm unless I'm charging it.
    12-21-2012 05:00 PM
    Amazing weather HD is not a fan of portico. Still more testing is required but I was losing like 1% every five minutes. Seems to be gone now
    12-21-2012 07:20 PM
    I did have the same issue after the update. Great battery life before the update with typically >40% battery remaining at 10pm. After update it went down to the single digits at 6pm. Came here to find this thread. I did a soft reset and after the phone booted it showed 35%. Barely losing capacity. As some noted this probably is related to something that got stuck using up CPU and is fixed with a soft reset or reboot.
    thank you
    12-21-2012 07:47 PM
    I have a happy 920 before and after the update.

But, after update, each reboot results in screen being VERY bright, even though I do not have auto-brightness enabled. And I have it set to low.
    Weird. So I have to switch it to medium or bright and then back to low to get it back to low.

Phone is gorgeous that bright. But i would rather have extended battery life than a suntan on my face. :)
    12-21-2012 08:05 PM
    Is this battery life considered normal for heavy use?

Normal? | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Location>Off
    Wifi>On, and always on [Checkbox]
    Bluetooth>Off
    NFC>off
    Background>WPCentral

I have drained the battery completely 3 times. Not sure if this would be considered normal. Let me know and thanks in advance.
    12-21-2012 08:08 PM
    I have a happy 920 before and after the update.

But, after update, each reboot results in screen being VERY bright, even though I do not have auto-brightness enabled. And I have it set to low.
    Weird. So I have to switch it to medium or bright and then back to low to get it back to low.

Phone is gorgeous that bright. But i would rather have extended battery life than a suntan on my face. :)
    have you tried to turn off sunlight readability under display+touch in settings? that changed the brightness behavior on mine.
    12-21-2012 08:12 PM
    Nokia Drive is usually the culprit - make sure your Settings/Background Tasks are off for everything you don't want to run behind the scenes and battery life will go up considerably. I went from 4.5 hours and a permanently warm phone to 12 hours battery life and a cool phone by doing that!
    12-21-2012 08:16 PM
98 1234