Updated and Battery is Worse!

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Monitoring battery as well. So far, now seems a bit "weaker" than pre-update. I have had the phone unplugged today for 11 hours, and I'm at 28%. Something tells me having wifi always connected at home might be a problem, because that's when the drain is at its most. Usage consisted of 45 minutes of reading news, 1 hour of music, a couple of pictures, and a few app updates.

I've had days pre-update where I've spent near 2 hours on the phone, spent 20 minutes reading news, another hour on music, etc, and have about 40% left after 12 hours of use. Same time, I've had a few poor days as well. It's almost as if my phone is bipolar.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Something definitely wrong. I went to bed last at 2 am and my phone was at 60% . I just woke up 10 minutes ago and my battery was at 25% .
No background tasks
Location -off
Brightness - low
Keep WiFi on - off
Bluetooth - off
Sunlight screen - off
Sensitive screen - off
NFC - off
3 Emails set to - 1hr
1 email set to - manual

This is ridiculous.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Since we are talking about battery life, I wonder, what's the number of hours of GPS-guided Nokia Drive you can get? (presuming 3g connection on, maps downloaded for offline use)

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
there is an article on the WPC main page about brightness playing crazy. suggested solution is to turn phone off, go into pitch dark room, turn phone on, slide lock screen up and it should now adjust better. It seems that the sensor needs a true dark as low level light for it to adjust properly. try that.
Lumia 920s suffering from brightness bug with Portico update? Here's a possible fix. | Windows Phone Central

Was hoping that worked. But after reboot the phone was back to high although still set to low.

Not a big deal. Just strange after update. I rarely reboot. The update itself was the first one in a couple of weeks.

Thanks though!

tkuhe

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
So I have made a few changes and it seems like my battery life has improved.
Turned off all settings in games.
Turned off availability in messaging. (still get texts btw)
Big surprise is the Weather App (Nokia version). For some reason that app reeks havoc on my phone when installed w/ wide live tile. Simply kills my battery.
Also, per Nokia's suggestion I set the phone to Airplane mode for 1/2hr and then rebooted.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
isnt it kinda pathetic we were sold a smart phone with killer features but are not able to have those features turned on due to poor quality control at nokia or just a poorly written os? im on lumia920 #3 and wont be going to a 4th

Adlai91

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Earlier today, I woke up from an overnight charge and played a couple games of wordament and browsed baconit for 10 minutes and my battery is at 79%. In 1 hour time, it drained 21% already from a 9 hour charge?!? I did a soft reset and it bumped down to 74% in 5 minutes. After 6 hours of little use (texting only), it is staying around 72%...I think the soft reset is a MUST after update. Its like restarting a computer, restarting always fixes stuff. However, I am still hesitant to say that it worked. To make sure, I will drain the battery full on this charge, and then wait for it to shut itself off and then charge it to full...maybe that will help my battery life.

UPDATE from this post: I did the soft reset like I said and drained my battery full and recharged fully to 100% asap. It has been exactly 24 hours since my last recharge that initially charged it to full, and I still have 46% remaining! I can tell you that I played A LOT of games such as Wordament and Ragdoll Run and some light texting/calls/internet browsing (maybe 20 texts, 5 minutes of talking, 30 minutes of browsing) after my charge and its only at 46% right now! I was out last night at some events and I had nothing to do so my phone was my best friend for nearly 3 hours straight and I am very pleased with my battery life remaining...and to think I was utterly disappointed the other day. I strongly recommend trying what I did and see if it helps before throwing a fit. By the looks of this battery life, I think 24-36 hour difference between charging my phone after moderate-heavy use is possible! haha

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
If you're still getting poor battery life after Portico, its likely that your unit is defective. My replacement easily gets a full work day of use before and after the update. I'm sure it would go all day from the moment I wake until I go to sleep, but I've yet to try it. All the default settings (location, backup, etc.) are turned on, I've got about ten apps running with background agents, eight email accounts across various services and both Bluetooth and WiFi are turned on. The one differentiator is that I'm not on my phone every second of my work day as some. Still, this is night and day from my previous unit, which could discharge completely from just be on, untouched, for five or so hours.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If you're still getting poor battery life after Portico, its likely that your unit is defective. My replacement easily gets a full work day of use before and after the update. I'm sure it would go all day from the moment I wake until I go to sleep, but I've yet to try it. All the default settings (location, backup, etc.) are turned on, I've got about ten apps running with background agents, eight email accounts across various services and both Bluetooth and WiFi are turned on. The one differentiator is that I'm not on my phone every second of my work day as some. Still, this is night and day from my previous unit, which could discharge completely from just be on, untouched, for five or so hours.

wrong. Its the update. I'm on my 3rd 920 . My 1st & 2nd had poor battery life. Like 2-3 hours total. This I'd my 3rd and I got this straight from Nokia. It was brand nee in the box. It was working perfect before the update. Now everytime I touch the device it bleeds battery life. I just played 3 levels of where's my water . That's like 6 minutes maybe of gameplay and lost 13% battery.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine was down to 46% after just 8 hours of light use. I just rebooted my phone and it jumped back up to 70%, so it does seem like some calibration issue after the update. I"m going to monitor for a while and see if it sticks.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So...hard reset(I'm one of the lucky ones whose 920 doesn't brick) and the battery didn't seem to be good until the nokia updates appeared today and now it seems to be ok. This is without WiFi being forced to stay on. In the four hours since I have taken it off my charger it has gone down 4% after light texting and installing one game. This is what it was like before. Since Portico, I have hard reset twice. First time the battery was not great while this time it seems to be back to normal. I'm not sure why some hard resets result in poor battery life compared to others.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So...hard reset(I'm one of the lucky ones whose 920 doesn't brick) and the battery didn't seem to be good until the nokia updates appeared today and now it seems to be ok. This is without WiFi being forced to stay on. In the four hours since I have taken it off my charger it has gone down 4% after light texting and installing one game. This is what it was like before. Since Portico, I have hard reset twice. First time the battery was not great while this time it seems to be back to normal. I'm not sure why some hard resets result in poor battery life compared to others.

are you reseting and starting over fresh or resetting and restoring?

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Okay, it's been over an hour since I rebooted the phone and the battery hasn't dropped at all. Before the reboot, it was dropping 3-4% an hour on idle.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Reboot didn't help me . I've turned it off and on at least 10 times. Let it drain at least 3 times since the update. I might reset and start all over AGAIN.

Andygoes

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Here's just my two cents on battery after update. My test scenario is not ideal, but here're the details:

- Wife's AT&T 920, updated last Wednesday
- visiting her family in KW, Ontario
- cellular on, data roaming off, persistent WiFi on (not always connected
- moderate use (nav, browsing on WiFi, camera, playing games, no calls or texts, GroupMe)
- background tasks - CNN, Drive, Weather Channel

Here's the amazing part: 26% battery remaining (6 hours) after 1 day 12 hours. I realize that without data roaming on this is pretty useless info, but some people keep their data off because of a low package (my sis in law has 150MB on Fido on her 4S), and this is absolutely amazing battery as far as I'm concerned. My Trophy with data roaming off and non-persistent WiFi doesn't perform nearly as well.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I have every single thin off. My only conclusion is its something with the screen. My phones standby performance is amazing. But once the screen is on I bleed battery. I just lost 12% by making 2 forum posts and reading some reviews of apps in 10 min

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire