02-05-2013 04:23 PM
60 123
tools
    Hard reboot is done, so far so good..

Forgot to take a screen shot of how I liked my home screen, but I think I remembered most of how it was.
    12-21-2012 09:38 PM
    Forum mini-poll. This shut down thing is annoying. Do I do a hard reset? Do I return the 920 for a new one? Return for a different WP8 (my daughters 820 has never done this)? Return for Android or iPhone? Or live with it?
    Thanks...
    12-21-2012 11:25 PM
    Do any of that but stick to WP8 its amazing and will continue to be and these issues are Nokia not WP8 as the other devices are fine
    12-21-2012 11:49 PM
    Sadly, I still experience phone reboots after the update. Prior to the update, my phone would reboot under specific circumstances, and it continues to do so after the update.

While connected to bluetooth in my car, if I received a text message while listening to audio my phone would reboot. There would be a 1-3 second delay between the arrival of the message and the reboot. If the text message came in and I was able to click on the message to open it, it would prevent a reboot from occurring. I did not experience any rebooting issues in any other circumstance.

Today, I received a message while listening to a podcast on my lunch hour and the phone rebooted. I hope that they can fix this issue as it is problematic in that once the phone reboots, I lose the message that triggered the reboot.
    12-22-2012 12:22 AM
    Today, I received a message while listening to a podcast on my lunch hour and the phone rebooted. I hope that they can fix this issue as it is problematic in that once the phone reboots, I lose the message that triggered the reboot.
    Absolutely same thing has happened to me in the past. I had to start paying attention to who sent it before I opened it just in case it rebooted, then if it did I could ask them to send it again.

So far no reboots, have only set up my people hub with my outlook mail and Facebook and the only app I've downloaded is the wpcentral app.
    12-22-2012 09:17 AM
    Mine is still have the occasional brick since the Portico update. Placing the phone on the wireless charger seems to increase the likelihood of it happening. I have played around with uninstalling certain apps, rebooting, etc. with no improvement.
    12-22-2012 09:41 AM
    I want to say, my phone has no frozen or rebooted since the update. I'm 100% certain all of my issues were Bluetooth related. I got it to stop freezing before by turning text to speech off. I turned it back on after the update, not a single issue.
    ChrisLynch likes this.
    12-22-2012 01:05 PM
    So far no reboots today, I reloaded my Xbox games only and will see what happens.
    12-22-2012 02:27 PM
    Hard reboot is done, so far so good..

Forgot to take a screen shot of how I liked my home screen, but I think I remembered most of how it was.
    If you had Backup enabled on your device, your home screen settings would be backed up. Enable it under Settings.

Forum mini-poll. This shut down thing is annoying. Do I do a hard reset? Do I return the 920 for a new one? Return for a different WP8 (my daughters 820 has never done this)? Return for Android or iPhone? Or live with it?
    Thanks...
    If you continue to get reboots AFTER the Portico update has been applied, then it's either A) the hardware is defective, or B) a specific app is the cause. I certainly wouldn't trade my 920 in for an iFruit or Slutdroid device.

Sadly, I still experience phone reboots after the update. Prior to the update, my phone would reboot under specific circumstances, and it continues to do so after the update.

While connected to bluetooth in my car, if I received a text message while listening to audio my phone would reboot. There would be a 1-3 second delay between the arrival of the message and the reboot. If the text message came in and I was able to click on the message to open it, it would prevent a reboot from occurring. I did not experience any rebooting issues in any other circumstance.

I too had issues like this prior to the Portico update. Since applying the update, it hasn't rebooted once. However, the wifes 920 did lock up, and required me to soft reboot it (hold down Lower Volume, Power and Camera button for about 25 seconds, waited for it to buzz and then removed my fingers from the keys, otherwise it would hard reset.) If you really continue to experience this, I would contact Nokia. Their support is really good and prompt. I wouldn't bother with AT&T, unless Nokia truly tells you to contact them.
    msualum likes this.
    12-22-2012 02:38 PM
    I have 2 Lumia 920. Both have zero problem before and after the update.
    12-22-2012 02:45 PM
    My phone had the Bluetooth not auto connecting and freeze up issues before Portico. After portico, my phone will randomly turn off and screen goes blank. I then have to do a soft reset, vol down plus power button. It seems like this is happening after I take it off a wired and wireless charger. I am at a breaking point here with this phone. has anyone else experienced this?
    12-22-2012 03:35 PM
    My does not reboot, but if I leave my phone to recharge over night it switches off by itself and does not respond in the morning. On the other hand, my battery life is good, I get about 18 hours of battery on my phone with moderate use such as Facebook, Games, Xbox Smartglass and pictures. I am happy with my battery life, but I wish I had like 2 days of battery life with moderate use like some people. Other than the phone not responding in the morning without a soft reset, I love my Nokia.
    12-22-2012 04:58 PM
    I know there were issues with L900's built early. Are there build numbers on the 920's? I think I have an early one - maybe a hardware exchange is in order.
    12-22-2012 09:01 PM
    I updated to Portico 3 days ago. I have experience no problems before or after the update. I had a 900 before I got my 920 and had no problems with it either. Portico had been an outstanding upgrade with the new features and extended battery life - up to 20 hours.
    12-22-2012 09:08 PM
    @ChrisLynch, I do use back up but have never been able to figure out how to load backups... I also like to start fresh so I know I have a clean restart.

Well the reboots are back, I don't use Bluetooth, so that isn't it. Today after I went on a three hour ride and stopped at Starbucks to get a warm up and check my email it started in again.

I loaded Xbox games on before that, I'm going to take them back off and see if it will reboot without the games.

It seems that the phone sitting for some time without activity triggers it some times, like it sitting in my car at work, or me riding my motorcycle.
    12-22-2012 09:17 PM
    All games un installed, kids corner turned off and password turned off. The only non native app installed is wpcentral.

Hope to figure something out with a little patience, there has got to be a pattern and reason for what is happening.
    12-22-2012 10:55 PM
    Well the reboots are back, I don't use Bluetooth, so that isn't it. Today after I went on a three hour ride and stopped at Starbucks to get a warm up and check my email it started in again.I loaded Xbox games on before that, I'm going to take them back off and see if it will reboot without the games.It seems that the phone sitting for some time without activity triggers it some times, like it sitting in my car at work, or me riding my motorcycle.
    I wonder if your hardware is responding to the cold temperatures? I know that most hardware has temperature limits anyway.
    12-23-2012 02:35 AM
    Thank you. I am not up in arms or anything, and to say I love my phone would be a massive understatement. Should the issue not get addressed in the next month or so, then I might get a bit more agitated. The issue is much more of an annoyance than anything.
    12-23-2012 09:03 AM
    I wonder if your hardware is responding to the cold temperatures? I know that most hardware has temperature limits anyway.
    I was wondering the same thing. But I don't think it is a temperature thing, it will do the same thing sitting in my house overnight and it doesn't get below 55F.

Turned WiFi off to see if that was a trigger, still rebooted after it sat all night on my headboard.

I'm going to look for any apps that could run in the background and get rid of them.

If it still reboots I'm going to hard reset the phone and load my wife's profile and see what it does.
    12-23-2012 10:16 AM
    I got rid of all apps this morning, AT&T, Nokia everything if it could be uninstalled I uninstalled it. Had everything turned off you can turn off.

Only got one reboot today, after the first one this morning. But what good does it do me to not have anything on my phone or be able to use even WiFi just to limit reboots.
    12-24-2012 01:10 AM
    Thanks for some of your exploratory research on what is causing the reboots. It would be great to learn if its an App or OS issue. However, I truly believe you have some sort of hardware related issue.

I would definitely contact Nokia and see if they can offer you a new phone. Perhaps they can do some digging on your device to find the root cause and ultimately help out the Lumia 920 community.

Either way, good luck! :)
    12-24-2012 08:28 AM
    How exactly is that accomplished?

I'm going to do just that if my hard reset doesn't work, we'll find out soon as I'm about to do it.
    1) Go to this link - Troubleshooting - Nokia - USA
    2) Click on the 'Phone Repair' under 'Need Device Repaired'
    3) You will need enter your 15 digit IMEI to first check your device warranty
    4) Assuming your warranty status is 'In-warranty in the US', you will see different options.
    5) One option is 'Submit your phone to Nokia for Repair (Excludes Tracfone).
    6) Click if you want to send your for diagnosis and repair.
    7) The next set of steps will instruct you to enter the details and will provide a UPS shipping label.

NOTE: The repair process could take up to 10 days. Nokia nor ATT will not give you a temporary phone. So in case you need to send the phone, you need to take the SIM out and then send the phone. You will have to make arrangements for a spare phone.

Alternatively you could talk to their tech support using the following details
    Hours of operation:
    Monday-Friday
    10:00 a.m - 8:00 p.m. EST

(Except holidays)
    1-888-665 4228
    Good luck!
    DaytonaGTS likes this.
    12-27-2012 11:00 PM
    After two weeks of trying to figure out the issues I'm done after even more issues have come up.

I have Hard rebooted many times, run w/out ANY apps on the phone and the most I got was 1.5 days w/out a random reboot.

I am also now randomly getting the auto brightness problems, even when I turn off auto I can't always get it to accually be bright or dim manually.

Last straw started two days ago as I noticed In less than 6 hours of not doing anything my battery would be almost dead after a full charge. Then yesterday I'd have to keep it on the charger so that it wouldn't die half way through the day. Then this morning it was shut down from low battery after having 80% 6 hours before after forgetting about the draining issues.

Time to start the journey with NOKIA, I know it has been hit and miss with some getting replacements, then again you usually only hear from some of the ubhappy people and almost never from the satisfied ones.
    o1legacygt likes this.
    01-02-2013 10:18 AM
    Called and Talked to Nokia, they told me I could probably get a quicker turn around with AT&T and to please try them first... No big deal since I didn't spend much time waiting to talk to them.

I stopped by the AT&T store on my way home from work to see if they could help me once again, they wished they could help but I guess they aren't alowed to do any exchanges outside the first two weeks. The whole time I'm talking to him my phone is rebooting right in front of him and he is tripping saying " I REALLY wish I could help because that would drive me insaine, and he had never seen anything like it before " He dialed AT&T warrenty for me, just took me a minute to get through. They were very helpful and believed what I was saying about the phone and asked if I wanted a new one. I told her I'd like another Red one and she didn't see any in stock and asked me to hold for a minute. When she got back on the phone She told me all they have available are black and white. Cyan, Yellow and Red are back ordered with no known date. She said they can usually tell when more will be in but for some reason these are on indefinite backorder. Then asked me to please hold and she would call Nokia directly. After she returned she told me that they couldn't get any for her and I could get it repaired in Texas. After she relayed that to me I let her know I already have that info and thaks for her time.

After I let the guys know in the store what I was told and needed to do they informed me that the last shipment of red they had was two weeks after launch, since then the three colors that are back ordered can't even be ordered I guess they are blocked out of the system or something. Nokia must have way underestimated the numbers needed for the red, yellow and cyan.

So now I am where I started yesterday, going back to Nokia but straight to the website to ship the phone back instead of trying to talk to them. At least I am a bit more educated on the reason for the dificulty of just getting a new one quickly, I guess. It just makes no sence to me how AT&T will say they honor the one year warrenty buy can't do it from a store front that usually has stock of what you need, you have to do it over the phone.
    01-03-2013 09:27 AM
    I'm done messing with this as well. I just spoke to ATT and they are sending a replacement device. I was hopeful that the update would fix things, but that has not been the case. Hopefully, the replacement device will be good to go.

Starting with ordering the phone and that whole debacle, this has been a disaster from the very beginning.
    01-05-2013 02:30 PM
60 123