Those recent Engaget-Examples ... why 96dpi vertical resolution?

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It looks like they used higher quality setting for JPEG compression for both before and after shots. Why? I don't know, but probably because they were running a test firmware. Now, before everyone freaks out, 2MB JPEG is plenty enough to capture all the details in a 8MP picture as long as they use a decent JPEG engine software. I shoot Nikon D7000 DSLR (16MP) in RAW and when I convert to JPEG for archiving, I use either low to medium quality setting and I get about 2-3MB size output. I do that because it's basically impossible to tell the difference between that and the 8-9MB output I get with "high" JPEG setting and smaller file size allows faster copying or streaming in my home network. 8MB pictures make slideshows over wifi unbearable.

PPI (or DPI) number is just a EXIF number that can be set to an arbitrary value by JPEG creator. It's supposed to be a guide number for printing but it's usually ignored in practice.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your answer.

I've experimented a little. After editing a picture with Creative Studio (Sharpening, Brightness), its vertical resolution changed to 96 ppi and the size went from 2 to 6 MB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro