Hi,

Out of curiositiy, I made the effort to download the before-and-after-Firmware-upgrade example pictures from this engadget post:

Nokia Lumia 920 camera fuzziness getting fixed in PR1.1 update

Why are they so big (6 to 8MB) and why is the vertical resolution 96ppi? My Lumia 920 pictures are all about 2MB and their vertical resolution is 72ppi ... not wanting to start a flamewar here, but I'm wondering.
    12-20-2012 10:57 PM
    It looks like they used higher quality setting for JPEG compression for both before and after shots. Why? I don't know, but probably because they were running a test firmware. Now, before everyone freaks out, 2MB JPEG is plenty enough to capture all the details in a 8MP picture as long as they use a decent JPEG engine software. I shoot Nikon D7000 DSLR (16MP) in RAW and when I convert to JPEG for archiving, I use either low to medium quality setting and I get about 2-3MB size output. I do that because it's basically impossible to tell the difference between that and the 8-9MB output I get with "high" JPEG setting and smaller file size allows faster copying or streaming in my home network. 8MB pictures make slideshows over wifi unbearable.

PPI (or DPI) number is just a EXIF number that can be set to an arbitrary value by JPEG creator. It's supposed to be a guide number for printing but it's usually ignored in practice.
    12-20-2012 11:25 PM
    Thanks for your answer.

I've experimented a little. After editing a picture with Creative Studio (Sharpening, Brightness), its vertical resolution changed to 96 ppi and the size went from 2 to 6 MB.
    12-20-2012 11:33 PM