I'm gettin it xmas eve - some questions first

kong u

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Any help is much appreciated.

Can photos and videos be transferred to AND from the 920 to a device other than a PC/Mac? flash or external HD?

Can files be sent via bluetooth? batch sending?

What media files can it play? video file types?

When listening to music via the loudspeaker or headphones can the player be accessed without having to go past the lockscreen? shortcuts?

Is there some sort of file explorer? If yes, then is this how files can be transferred as mentioned in my first question?

I'm going on holiday and intend to use the nokia as my dedicated camera and camcorder. I'm anticipating that I will not have enough storage for the whole 2 weeks. What are my options for transferring files from the 920 to free up space?

Is there an English to Japanese voice or written translator?

Has the camera update made noticeable difference? I have read the dedicated thread but people seem to have mixed reviews. Will I be able to apply the camera update in time for 23 Feb if I'm buying from the UK?

Thanks for your time

Last edited:

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not aware of flash or storage driver for phone or anything along those lines. Sounds like you need a Skydrive account. Is it available in UK? You get 7gig free and for $25 a year you get additional 50gig. It will auto upload pics and video over WiFi. If you won't have access to WiFi, may not work for your situation. I have Surface and transfer back and forth to SD card or flash drive all the time. Still requires a device though.

Video formats? Don't know what it will, but I have yet to run across any that wouldn't play.

Basic controls on start screen. Play/pause and skip back and forward.

File explorer, yes. Fully featured, not quite. It will recognize standard format files, but I don't think it can be used as mass media. I may be wrong as I use Skydrive for everything.

Camera update definitely has made images sharper, but I haven't tried low light situation. I still think my Razr Max has better quality photos because I don't have to post edit glowing eye syndrome. Don't know when update is available in UK.

It's a great phone, but still has a few bugs and battery life isn't quite of par with other phones.

Josh Mackey

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: I'm intending to get the 920 but want to iron out a few uncertainties first.

Let me see what I can do to answer these.

1. Other than a PC/Mac, you can also upload pictures and videos to Skydrive.
2. Files can indeed be sent via bluetooth. When you use the "share" functionality of whatever app you're in, bluetooth will be an option. No the batch sending I believe.
3. http://cdn.cnet.com.au/story_media/339340920/wp8-codecs.jpg The linked image shows all the codecs that are supported by WP8. If the phone doesn't support it, you're prompted to auto convert it first before it will transfer. Also note that VLC is working on a WP8 app which should play everything you throw at it.
4. When listening to music on any device, playback controls are available on the lock screen.
5. When connected to a Windows machine, WP8 devices show up as a drive which you can browse like any file system. This is one option for syncing music, videos, pictures, documents, and ringtones.
6. See 1.
7. Not built in but its a free App called Translate. It can do OCR, Voice, and Keyboard translates from English to many different languages including Japanese.
8. I can't answer this. I never noticed any real problem with the camera to begin with. I'm also in Canada, so I can't speak for the UK devices.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: I'm intending to get the 920 but want to iron out a few uncertainties first.

1 and five no, 2, yes to bluetooth no to batch, 4 yes hit vol. button then click on the media player , 6, best way is to make sure you have your skydrive set up and then have your media uploaded to skydrive, this will keep storage memory usage down, you can also share the folders with friends so they can access your pics and vids without having to send them via txt or email 7, yes there are severl translator apps avail. 8 yes, the new update has greatly improved the camara, as far as media files go, goto windowsphone.com, they list all compatible file formats, hope this helps

kong u

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for your help guys.

To the people who use skydrive; how long would it take to transfer say 1gb from phone to skydrive?

Also what size in MB do the highest resolution photos come in at? Get a feel for how many photos can be stored in total?

Same for say a 20sec vid at highest quality?

The hotel I'm staying at has free WiFi so can transfer every night throughout the night. I'm alright with this as a storage solution but just hope it works in practice.

The 920 will hopefully be my first Windows Phone so I hope the change from Android to WP isnt restricting, if at all.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Any help is much appreciated.

Can photos and videos be transferred to AND from the 920 to a device other than a PC/Mac? flash or external HD?
yes. no direct flash/ehdd, but can always sync to skydrive if you have wifi.

Can files be sent via bluetooth? batch sending?
yes. no batch

What media files can it play? video file types?
no rmvb
[h=4]Codecs[/h]
  • MP3
  • AMR-WB
  • AMR-NB
  • WMA 10 Pro
  • WMA 9
  • AAC LC
  • AAC+/HEAAC
  • eAAC+/HEAACv2
[h=4]Audio playback file formats[/h]
  • ASF
  • WAV
  • MP4
  • AAC
  • AMR
  • MP3
  • M4A
  • WMA
  • 3GP
  • 3G2

When listening to music via the loudspeaker or headphones can the player be accessed without having to go past the lockscreen? shortcuts?
yes hit the volume there will be a drop down bar even its locked

Is there some sort of file explorer? If yes, then is this how files can be transferred as mentioned in my first question?
since there is sdc in 920, so function disabled, but i believe there are some in app store.

I'm going on holiday and intend to use the nokia as my dedicated camera and camcorder. I'm anticipating that I will not have enough storage for the whole 2 weeks. What are my options for transferring files from the 920 to free up space?
skydrive is your bet, unless u have a laptop.

Is there an English to Japanese voice or written translator?
u have to check app store, from my knowledge, no

Has the camera update made noticeable difference? I have read the dedicated thread but people seem to have mixed reviews. Will I be able to apply the camera update in time for 23 Feb if I'm buying from the UK?
Yes, imo. not sure about update thou. without it should be fine for regular size 5:4 pictures. I have some great example but wpc does allow me to share here. So you may pm me.

Thanks for your time
my pleasure. love 920

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

For that Translator. Thing. I have an App. Called Translator. It's from MS. you can use you voice, Camera and Keyboard to translate stuff back to you.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for your help guys.sec vid at highest quality?
The 920 will hopefully be my first Windows Phone so I hope the change from Android to WP isnt restricting, if at all.

I think you have to be prepared that it WILL be more restrictive than Android. There are going to be things you do differently and a couple of things that don't work yet or may not be planned. The tradeoff is that you'll get great hardware, beautiful, clean OS, Nokia app ecosystem, oustanding vendor support etc.

If you are a power user, you need to really make sure you know the limitations of the OS so that you don't get dissapointed.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help guys.

To the people who use skydrive; how long would it take to transfer say 1gb from phone to skydrive?

Also what size in MB do the highest resolution photos come in at? Get a feel for how many photos can be stored in total?

Same for say a 20sec vid at highest quality?

The hotel I'm staying at has free WiFi so can transfer every night throughout the night. I'm alright with this as a storage solution but just hope it works in practice.

there is a size limit uploading to SkyDrive not exactly sure of the limit but I believe it's something like half a gig, as far as file sizes go that would depend on several factors 720p vs 1080p ECT same with pics, on average a pic is some where between 1-3 megs, a 10 min vid at 720p on my 920 came in at 485 megs, on average as far as upload speeds that's dependent on the WIFI your on

kong u

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

there is a size limit uploading to SkyDrive not exactly sure of the limit but I believe it's something like half a gig, as far as file sizes go that would depend on several factors 720p vs 1080p ECT same with pics, on average a pic is some where between 1-3 megs, a 10 min vid at 720p on my 920 came in at 485 megs, on average as far as upload speeds that's dependent on the WIFI your on

How much can be transferred over a nights sleep(6-8hrs)? Im guessing in Japan they will have strong wifi connections but just want to know if I can shift enough files off my phone onto skydrive if I need the space the next day.

I think you have to be prepared that it WILL be more restrictive than Android. There are going to be things you do differently and a couple of things that don't work yet or may not be planned. The tradeoff is that you'll get great hardware, beautiful, clean OS, Nokia app ecosystem, oustanding vendor support etc.

If you are a power user, you need to really make sure you know the limitations of the OS so that you don't get dissapointed.

I wouldn't say I'm much of a power user. Not much of a mobile gamer, sometimes have a quick go to pass time but on the whole I stick to my 360 for games. My main uses aside phoning and texting will be the camera, browsing internet, watching some episodes and maybe a film here and there.

Is using the phone as an external device to save files from my work mac possible? That is can I transfer files using simple drag and drop from my iMac to the 920.

Does WP have the ability to share files via certain apps like Android can do? Say I'm in my photo gallery or my music playlist, is there a shortcut option to send that photo or song via Whatsapp, dropbox (without having to go into the program first and then search for the file)

I'm not that fussed on the limited customisation with the Windows tile interface compared to the likes of Android. What major limitations are there compared to Android?

Thanks for responding in such short time guys. Good to know you can get answers as accurate and as speedy as this!

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

your skydrive is limited to 7 or 24gb - so that's your limit (without purchasing additional space.)

Assuming a fast broadband available via wifi (802.11n - I can max out my 4mbps uplink easy... for easy math I will assume 5mbit up), you should be able to more or less fill your skydrive as follows

(7 gigabytes) / (5 Mbps) = 3.18577778 hours
(24 gigabytes) / (5 Mbps) = 10.9226667 hours

So, um. You might want to bring along a laptop. Or a surface. Yeah. A surface + an external USB disk drive. That would do it. Then just copy off stuff via USB, which goes very fast indeed.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I was referring to the max size of 1 file, if you had SkyDrive before June 2012 you were given 25 gigs free, after June 2012 they dropped the space to 7 gigs free, I'm not sure but I believe that they were giving up 24 gigs free if you bought a surface, but don't quote me on that

kong u

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Just read this Skydrive info on Wiki:

files up to 300 MB can be uploaded via drag and drop into the web browser,[5] or up to 2 GB via the SkyDrive desktop application for Microsoft Windows and OS X.[6]

I haven't got a laptop or surface tablet so any videos over 300mb will not transfer. This is a big shame and a little disappointing as I do not want to be limited to sub 5min 1080p files. If anybody could share their 1080p file sizes both in MB and minutes that would give me a clearer indication of what I'll be dealing with.

From the uploading times given by johninsj I'm confident that I can free up enough space every night to keep a cycle going. It's just that 300MB file size limit!
I don't mind purchasing extra space as it is only a small annual fee and would create peace of mind for capturing a great amount of video and photos.

Has anybody tried one of these:

Genuine Nokia Adapter Cable USB OTG For Lumia 920 | eBay

Do they actually work if the 920 doesnt actually support USB OTG? If it does then things are looking brighter! I know my mate bought a USB OTG cable for his Galaxy S2 and that works like a charm.

Does the 920 show up as a mass storage device on Macs? With the ability to simply drag and drop files to and from?

kong u

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

As well as my questions above, will I need to install drivers onto whatever mac/pc I want to use the 920 with?

kong u

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Going into a store to have a play around. Will ask as many questions relating to my thread and post results later.

Only thing is im not holding my breath for valid answers since usually phones4u staff are morons

kong u

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

So went in store and just as i thought they knew F all about the phone.

Think im going to take the plunge and go for it tomorrow tho. Im fed up of constantly thinking and researching. Just want it to be mine!

If someone could answer my remaining questions in my later posts in the next 12hours that would be sweet.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: I'm hopefully getting the 920 tomorrow but wnt to iron out a few uncertainties first.

There is also a Nokia app that is available that may be of use. It is called yousendit. Not used it myself, but may be worth a look.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05