Lumia 920 truely offline gps?

Pi Sin

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
lol you guys are funny.. GPS in nokia does not require a sim card at all, just take out your sim n try it.. gps signal does that awhile to locate.. use nokia drive 1st n when it get the gps signal then you use nokia maps. thats all Garmin are actually using maps tech lic from nokia.. and most of the GPS system are using nokia technology.

Biostud

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it can combine GPS + cellular data to pinpoint your location. If you switch off data, then it will rely solely on GPS, which is harder to get a signal from inside a building.

foaf

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Seems conflicting reports abound. I tried this in Madrid with a 920 locked to EE (UK). My downloaded maps worked in the Map App, but GPS location came through. Really annoying.

Any fix, as it's obviously possible based on others in this thread. Would unlocking help? Or local sim (with data turned off still)?
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
GPS function is independent of your cellular service. regardless you have a non working sim (out of service area/country), doesn't even have a sim in it, or on flight mode, it just work when you turn on the location option in the Nokia map/ drive setting menu. In short, as long as you have the required map, you will be able to navigate when you get the minimum GPS signal.

Sebz4n

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
GPS does work even if you are in another country... But without the help of phone masts (usually data connection) it takes a good while longer to lock on. With android I start navigation while I'm on Wi-Fi with offline maps, and then it works just fine solely via GPS

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
GPS function is independent of your cellular service. regardless you have a non working sim (out of service area/country), doesn't even have a sim in it, or on flight mode, it just work when you turn on the location option in the Nokia map/ drive setting menu. In short, as long as you have the required map, you will be able to navigate when you get the minimum GPS signal.

Did you not even read the thread? I posted a screenshot of Nokia Drive refusing to work on my no-sim Lumia 920 and you keep saying it doesn't require a SIM.

Technically it doesn't, but Nokia's implementation does. That's the difference here.

Jari P

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Did you not even read the thread? I posted a screenshot of Nokia Drive refusing to work on my no-sim Lumia 920 and you keep saying it doesn't require a SIM.

Technically it doesn't, but Nokia's implementation does. That's the difference here.

Huime is right ... my Lumia 920 works well without SIM card - YES, I just tested Drive+ and it catched GPS signal almost imm. (without SIM card) ... but I do not know what is wrong with your Lumia 920 ...

forzahog

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Do you have your maps downloaded for offline use?

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Huime is right ... my Lumia 920 works well without SIM card - YES, I just tested Drive+ and it catched GPS signal almost imm. (without SIM card) ... but I do not know what is wrong with your Lumia 920 ...
I use it all the time when travel, with or without sim.
Even your phone force you to have a sim, wouldn't your regular sim already inside the phone, don't see where you are going here either.

homieson89

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
This isnt true. I brought mine to mexico and was using it just fine.what i did was DL the maps i needed went to mexico. Used wifi only once to make sure of any updates. After that it worked flawlessly

Br_Mpto

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Everybody can test it easily ... disable your WLAN (wi-fi) and disable your cellular data connection, then you are OFFLINE (no any data from internet) ... and check that your location service is enabled and you have downloaded a country map where are you just now ... and then, open Nokia Drive+ or Nokia maps .... if you open Nokia Drive+, it will state "looking for GPS" and then, it will catch GPS signal (green arrow) ... remark: Nokia Drive+ can be used online or offline (change from settings) ...

EDIT: - it is harder to get GPS signal, if you are inside in building ... so you should go outside to check it ...

Not that easy man...the point is not if it works without data connection but if it works without any cellular signal. I understood that Lumia 920 uses A-GPS as well as other smartphones. It means that not only GPS satellites are used to locate yourself but a combination of GPS AND Cellular Antennas signals are used to determine your location.
So, we have to take off the sim card of the phone to test. And even if it works I still have doubt if at least from a very first time it is needed to be connected to a cellular antenna to acquire/accurate the position. I.e. maybe when traveling abroad we have to connect our smartphone at least once to a cellular network or a wifi to acquire our position and so we will be able to navigate without any data and cellular connection.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Not that easy man...the point is not if it works without data connection but if it works without any cellular signal. I understood that Lumia 920 uses A-GPS as well as other smartphones. It means that not only GPS satellites are used to locate yourself but a combination of GPS AND Cellular Antennas signals are used to determine your location.
So, we have to take off the sim card of the phone to test. And even if it works I still have doubt if at least from a very first time it is needed to be connected to a cellular antenna to acquire/accurate the position. I.e. maybe when traveling abroad we have to connect our smartphone at least once to a cellular network or a wifi to acquire our position and so we will be able to navigate without any data and cellular connection.

Works well for me ... and I had a christmas and new year holiday in Philippines - it was working just great, it found GPS signal very fast (and sure, no wi-fi, no data connection and no roaming) ... and I have tested it without SIM card too, it works well (outside very well, inside is depenging on a building) ... well, I have downloaded the proper maps and I am not using any case for my Lumia 920 ... and I am not a customer of AT&T :)

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 920 uses a-GPS, as well as the Russian equivalent. Traditional GPS, when in a new location, can take up to 15 or 20 minutes to properly fix your location by acquiring the right satellite signals.

A-GPS speeds this up by getting its location from the wireless network first, figuring out which of the hundreds of satellites it should be getting a signal from, and only using those. It cuts that 20 minutes to 20 seconds.

The Lumia location services will work with no data or cellular signal, but again, may take up to 20 minutes to get an accurate fix. This may be why many of you seem to believe it doesn't. We are bred with short attention spans these days.

Those who find it worked well, may have just gotten a faster location fix because their phone found a satellite signal faster.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not a concern at all. OVI/nokia/here/whatever they call it now does not need any form of assist other than the GPS/Glonass chip itself. Even my oldie 5800 gets a lock within a minute.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss