12-28-2012 06:26 AM
65 123
tools
    I think the surprising stories are the WP7 dev 's that we new WP8 users hear about who are announcing they're jumping ship. Long time developers bailing. To someone who is switching from iOS or android and sees that it sounds an alarm in our minds that if MS can't keep the developers it had on 7, what's that say for the likely scenario of it attracting the ones we all want quickly on WP period.
    Who are these developers, and where are they making these announcements? I'm serious - other than this thread I apparently missed all these announcements
    12-25-2012 10:43 AM
    The thing is, many live tiles don't exactly tell you what the notification was about. Just that there was one. Live tiles work great for glancing at readily available info. Not necessarily for info you might have missed. I am not dead set against needing a notification center. But having used a Android for a bit this summer, it was nice to have
    They were building one, but ran out of time for the final build. Apparently it's coming.
    Microsoft "ran out of time" on WP8 notification center
    12-25-2012 11:07 AM
    Getting tired of developers leaving when is windows phone going to pick up? Tired of not getting apps like other platforms. I feel like sometimes I'm just wasting my time. MS needs to do more. Don't get me wrong I love windows phone. I've been with windows since I first had my first phone.
    Unfortunately, many developers are narrow-minded, nerdy bandwagon jumpers. Harsh, but true.

There have been a number of surveys and articles out about how Windows Phone developers *on average* make far more money than Android developers, and even a bit more than iOS developers (someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that last part).

So there is a lot more potential for developers to make money with Windows Phone than the competitor platforms, and developing has never been easier since Windows Phone 8 is far easier to code for than Windows Phone 7.

So there isn't really a strong logical reason for a few developers to suddenly be leaving Windows Phone. Either they are getting paid to leave by competitors, or they are simply bandwagon jumpers.
    based_graham and Cellus13 like this.
    12-25-2012 06:59 PM
    If you have NO interest in changing services, why would you change your cell phone then? You need to sell your Lumia asap and grab an iphone. To get a new phone wth a new and exciting OS, yet expecting this "new" phone to work exactly the same as your 5 year old iphone is tomfoolery.
    12-25-2012 08:56 PM
    Think of it this way: The number of app relative to market share.
    Sure, Windows Phone may have 150K apps, but assume the market share is 5%.
    That's 30K apps for every 1% of the market share.
    Well, assume Android has 750K apps, and the market share is 40%.
    That's ~13K apps for every 1% of market share.

At least, that's my theory.
    12-25-2012 09:10 PM
    So there is a lot more potential for developers to make money with Windows Phone than the competitor platforms, and developing has never been easier since Windows Phone 8 is far easier to code for than Windows Phone 7.
    Take note that you can code for WP8, and just port it over (with ease, I may add) to W8/WinRT, since the Operating Systems share the same NT Kernel.
    12-25-2012 09:16 PM
    Think of it this way: The number of app relative to market share.
    Sure, Windows Phone may have 150K apps, but assume the market share is 5%.
    That's 30K apps for every 1% of the market share.
    Well, assume Android has 750K apps, and the market share is 40%.
    That's ~13K apps for every 1% of market share.

At least, that's my theory.
    How about this way?
    all 750k can be side loaded
    all 750k is also open to all available market.
    therefore you are directly competing against 750k, plus losing sales in side load.
    good rating ones will snow ball and project cross platform influence, while new comers sink into the bottom never be found again.
    unless you are big players, which they will excel in any market anyways, or less it is wise to explorer new market.
    be the best in small circle is better than eating dirt in a big league.
    12-25-2012 10:16 PM
    Tekhna... why don't you just use your GS3 you got back in October?

MS doesn't need to bend to Google. As Windows 8 becomes more popular the integration of MS services in both the WP8 platform and the Win8 platform will create incentive for people to transition. I use skydrive on my phone, PCs, and surface... same information is accessible on all of them, same with contacts, calendar, mail, ect...

To everybody else, you need to take a look at Tekhna's posting history to get an idea of what he is trying to bring to the conversation..
    12-26-2012 01:14 AM
    How many devs are actually leaving? I follow the wp news fairly closely, and I've only read about a couple, all of which have apps that aren't selling, and lots of competition. I don't see the problem. Devs come and go from ios and android every day too, for exactly the same reasons.
    Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express
    12-26-2012 01:44 AM
    Windows Phone CAN'T succeed without things like gmail syncing. Period. End of story. Just as an example, the University of California is moving towards a gmail system for every campus. That's hundreds of thousands of students, faculty, and staff who can't sync their school/work email to their phone. Corporations are moving to gmail, schools are moving to gmail, 425 million people use gmail. Not optional.
    It's not just gmail though. 100 million people use dropbox. If you can't support dropbox, you need to get serious.
    You think a University is going to rely on CalDAV for their syncing needs? No, they'll ask for EAS and EAS they shall receive. So WP8 will cover their needs just fine. Google is dropping ActiveSync for individual consumer accounts, and only those that sign up after January 15th, or whenever their cutoff date is. Current users will still get EAS syncing just fine. On the other hand, MS might add CalDAV support via a future update, as they've not said anything except that they're "surprised" by Google's decision.

DropBox is a nice service, I agree, but it's not like MS isn't trying to get them to develop for WP8. In the meantime, there's SkyDrive which offers 7GB of storage for free. When DropBox decides to develop for WP8, I'm sure MS will welcome them to the ecosystem; it shouldn't be long now, I think, as they'll have to develop a Metro version of their desktop app for Windows 8 and that might get them to look at WP8.
    12-27-2012 06:22 AM
    How about this way?
    all 750k is also open to all available market.
    Yeah, no they're not.
    12-27-2012 06:24 AM
    Would like to see a sonus app soon.
    12-27-2012 06:33 AM
    I do share the same feeling as OP. I have to resort to Internet Explorer for most of my favorite sites which have apps on other platforms and even then the mobile sites are mostly rendered really badly because of the fact that they are almost all Webkit optimized. Just a list of my app problems:

- The Facebook app isn't complete and the mobile site feels really cheap and slow if your compare it to iOS or Android
    - IMDB is really lacking while this was one of the showcase apps back in the WP7 days. There isn't even a login possibilty (IMDB is useless to me without my Watchlist)
    - No The Verge app... and the site doesn't work well because of Webkit optimization (it's my favorite site)
    - No localized sites (Autoblog, Autoweek, Tweakers, NUsport, etc)
    - No Google apps (Gmail, Youtube (MetroTube doesn't show all videos just like the old iOS app and the mobile site has quirks), Google Maps (GMaps isn't a good solution))
    - Most banking apps in my country aren't available
    - Whatsapp is implemented really badly with the draining WIFI hack and bugs (I have almost 160 Whatsapp contacts, it's the number one communication method on phones in my country)

I could go on :) I feel like I'm really making a lot of compromises in day to day usage. In my opinion unnecessary compromises as on iOS and Android these problems don't exist. And still I love Windows Phone, but I'm seriously doubting if I should just get an iPhone 5 for and try Windows Phone in a year or so again.
    12-27-2012 09:12 AM
    A Company or University shouldn't use the free Gmail-service, they should atleast use the "premium" service to be able to somehow administrate the accounts. From what I understand, these services will work as they Always have.
    12-28-2012 05:27 AM
    I guess you missed the part where I said I was happy with what I had, and had no interest whatsoever in changing my workflow? No to mention the fact that everybody I talk to is signed into gtalk all the time.
    I guess you missed the part where he said "I'm not trying to sell you on switching. I just want you to be educated." /facepalm
    12-28-2012 06:26 AM
65 123