We Love Our Nokia 920's

MS_SURVEYOR

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I posted earlier than my wife and I were getting 920's. We got them Saturday night. I asked for help on how to setup a new Nokia 920, and jdhooghe came to my aid. Thank you jdhooghe.

1) hard reset at the beginning. Even if this isn't necessary it seems to make a difference. Also, it is good to know that your phone is able to handle it without bricking.

2) The glass is hit or miss. Sometimes it scratches easily. Get screen protectors once you know your phone is fine.

3) disable NFC

4) (This will take a while) but make sure dust is not able to get into the FFC

5) Discharge fully the first charge to condition the battery. Do this a few times.

6) Battery should go down 1% every hour on idle normally. Check this before installing apps

7) Firmware takes anywhere from half an hour to 10 min to install fully

8) Make sure there is no rebooting after you install the latest firmware

9) Sometimes the top or bottom creak. Make sure this doesn't bother you.

10) Make sure the camera works properly without kicking you back to the start screen. This is my own personal experience. I was able to fix it at first with a soft reset but it later only a hard reset would work.

Things are going quite well. Battery life is good. No problems before or after the firmware update to (1232.5951.1249.0001). Call quality using Jawbone Era bluetooth is just outstanding. Just as clear as someone standing right in front of you. Plenty of volume head room. I imported my contacts over from an old Moto W385 seamlessly. I was on a Blackberry for a year and 9 months until my wife's BB died. I gave her mine, and used the old Moto just to get by. We still have the plastic wrap on the Nokia's. Haven't had time to play much yet. But we will.

Thanks for all the help keeping this site moving.

ms

Last edited:

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
That's awesome, but, I'm finding it hard to love a phone where I need to turn off half the features to make it work half decently.. NFC is a huge selling feature, yet, I need to shut it off. What's the point? I had NFC on my Nokia N9, HTC One X etc and never had these types of issues..

The def star

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I have Bluetooth, NFC and Wifi on and my phone last me a full days charge. It sucks hearing people having inconsistent experiences with their battery life. So far though my red 920 has been great.

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
My battery life has been great in the month and half I've had mine and I leave the NFC, Bluetooth, location services, most background services (except Drive beta), and WFi on all the time. And I have several live tiles.

I am thinking that leaving wifi on when the screen goes off is a real battery hog. I tried that and was down to 60% and haven't even used my phone. I'm in the process of trying the same thing over the next 4 hours with that turned off. If my phone goes back to my really good battery life I'll know that's the culprit if not, well then it was Portico. Sigh...that would be a bummer. I'll post a thread when I'm done (in about 3 more hours). Yes, I'm a night owl plus I still have several gifts to wrap.

abhibh

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok quick questions
Volume down + Power button = Soft reset or hard reset ?
OR
Volume up + Volume Down + Power Button = Soft Reset ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750