Importing music manually, albums are not set properly (ID3 tag Issue?)

adza33

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I just purchased a Lumia 920 and it is great, i love the OS and how everything works together...

One issue though is manually copying music from my collection, I have already transferred a bunch of albums which all display correctly in the Xbox Music app, however I just copied another album which for some weird reason comes up multiple times in the album section...

I have used a program called TagScan to ensure all of these songs in the album have the same album tag, but nope Windows Phone 8 or Xbox Music app (whichever reads MP3's) creates an album line item for almost every artist in the album....

This is really really weird... Its really annoying as now I cant play that album from start to finish as its spread across a heap of albums....

Anyone have this issue, or knows how to fix?

Thanks in advance

Adam

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I had that happen about a year ago with my HTC 7 Trophy with an album I bought from Amazon a couple of years ago (all the other Amazon albums worked fine). At that time I couldn't find a solution, so I just dumped it, Maybe someone else will have a solution now.

adza33

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Thank for the replies. This specific album is like a podcast with multiple artists. However I have other similar albums with multiple artists which display fine.

I have searched the windows phone website trying to find the format it uses (ID3V1, ID3V2 etc) with no success.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Could you post the Album Artist, Album, and Artist tags from a couple of tracks so we can see what you have?

In my experience, the album artist/album needs to be consistent and then you can vary the artist/contributing artist tags. For a compilation I normally just use something like Various Artists as the Album Artist.

adza33

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Mate you're a legend, it works perfectly now that I am populating the 'Album Artist'....

I have even gone one better to make the album artist the 'album title' with the various discs 'albums' inside that folder....

Awesome, this looks so nice within this xbox app...

Thanks for your help guys

Adam

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I use MP3Tag and 2 songs off an album show as a different artist even though all tags are the same artist.
I have deleted all tags and started again but still the name changes - i tried drag n drop and using win media player and WP pc software to copy over and still have the same issue.
Weird!!

nizzon

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if any of you had a WP7-device but over the two years I had my Omnia7 my mp3 library got more and more albums split over time. They were fine from the start but suddenly albums got split.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey I guys, I'm new to the WP world and having some issues with music transfer as well. When ur talking about changing the 'tags' what exactly do u mean and how do I do this? I have some albums split into two albums with half the songs on one and half on the other. And I don't know why the album covers aren't transferring over. I have manually dragged and dropped files as well as that beta sync system they have. It's pretty annoying.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey I guys, I'm new to the WP world and having some issues with music transfer as well. When ur talking about changing the 'tags' what exactly do u mean and how do I do this? I have some albums split into two albums with half the songs on one and half on the other. And I don't know why the album covers aren't transferring over. I have manually dragged and dropped files as well as that beta sync system they have. It's pretty annoying.

mp3s files have a number of different attributes or 'tags' associated with them. You can see a lot of them in Windows by just right clicking on the file, going to Properties, then Details. Sometimes it is useful to modify a batch of these at a time (say for an album), I use the program Mp3Tag for that.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh, so I should download a program to change the tag? Or could I go to properties, details, then edit it there? If a program is required, the one u mentioned, is that free or purchase required? Thanks!

adza33

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I personally use TagScanner, it is quite comprehensive but also accomplishes my simple tasks...

It is freeware too, Link here --> The Ultimate TagScanner: News

With this program you can, select an entire album and add certain tags (like Album Artist) to all the songs at once to get those splitting albums back together...

Adam

DFB

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
You'll use this type of software for batch editing. You should also give up on syncing with XBox Music while listening on your phone, it's **** and I will not have it. It screwed my tags majorly by changing the artwork/splitting albums/adding parental advisories etc. There's MPA Tools in the WP8 Marketplace that downloads (background) artwork for the player app. IMO a personally managed collection with XBox music syncing turned off is the way to go for now. I also use Mp3Tag.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon