Problem: Nokia Drive Turn by Turn and Bluetooth Audio

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I use Nokia Drive regularly. I also have Bluetooth in my car.
I have connected bluetooth in my car with my Lumia 920 and regularly use it for phone calls and also for streaming music.
I've noticed that when I am using Nokia Drive, in order to listen to turn by turn directions, I am forced to stream audio from bluetooth. In other words, if my phone is connected to my car via bluetooth and I am using Nokia Drive, I cannot listen to the Radio or CDs if I want audible turn by turn directions. If I do listen to the Radio or CDs, I do not get turn by turn vocal directions.
Has anyone else also faced this problem? I have a Toyota, so I am wondering if it is a Toyota thing or is this an issue with other cars as well.
Also, i have no other bluetooth problems. If I want to stream music alone, it works flawlessly every time. Its just this combination of Nokia Drive and Bluetooth streaming that seems to be a problem

jrjr488

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a Camry and it does the same thing. No spoken directions when connected to phone only Bluetooth but I get spoken directions if streaming music from the phone.

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
This is the response I got from NokiaCare. I dont think they understood my question.

We understand that you are having issues in using Nokia Drive and your car kit. Kindly be informed that car kits are compatibility sensitive devices. Meaning, in order for them to work properly for your device, then the manufacturer of the car kit must officially support the phone and had the car kit intended to work with the specific device. From our part, we can only guarantee the compatibility of your Nokia phone with Nokia car kits. The best course of action in this matter is to contact Toyota support and ask them if your car kit officially supports Nokia Lumia 920 so that we would know what action to take.

For your referrence, here are the Bluetooth profiles that are supported by the said handset:

Object Push Profile (OPP)
Hands-Free Profile (HFP)
Generic Object Exchange Profile (GOEP)
General Access Profile
Serial Port Profile (SPP)
Headset Profile
Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
Generic Audio/Video Distribution Profile
Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP, PBA)
Service Discovery Application Profile (SDAP)

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks jrjr488.
Can anyone confirm if Nokia Drive IS indeed working if you are not streaming music using bluetooth? That may point to something going on with Toyota and 920 compatibility

JakubLukes

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I have Skoda Octavia 2010, Samsung Ativ S, and I bought nokia drive+ and have the same problem. Do you have any soulution about it?

naganumolu

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I have same problem with my Ford and L720. The problem exists with Android also. Only thing we need is a option which medium the maps should use. Bluetooth or Phone Speaker for playing the voice.

Sent from my NL720 using Tapatalk

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This has been a feature from Nokia's Symbian days. You are unable to have navigation prompts WITHOUT music being streamed. No reasonable explanation has been given but it's pants on Nokia's part. Only way some do it is to stream a silent music file on repeat or just stream and be interrupted.

Antchexec

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The best solution, for me, would be to have BT music (or via USB) streamed to the car speakers, with calls and directions through a BT earpiece. In that way, passengers could listen to music and I could get directions, privately. I can't see a need for passengers to receive directions; and I can hold phone conversations without passengers hearing the entire conversation, which is far more preferable, to me. This is how it was with my N95, by and large.

Perhaps no-one at Nokia (or is it MS?) ever carries passengers, or cares if anyone hears both sides of every conversation. I would prefer it otherwise; and I also like to listen to music AND receive earpiece instructions, even when alone. It seems pointless for music to be interupted for directions, when I can comfortably hear both.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. I currently have a Pioneer Bluetooth head unit in my car. The head unit has a Bluetooth "audio" source for streaming music and a "headset" source for calls which I can skip through.

The problem is, Nokia uses the A2DP profile (the same profile used for Bluetooth audio) for streaming the navigation turn-by-turn directions. If I have it on radio or CD, I will not hear the navigation, and if I am streaming music to my head unit though the Bluetooth audio source, I will get the spoken directions. When a phone call comes in, the "headset" source automatically activates and calls come in fine. So, the only way this will work correctly is if Nokia changes the app to use the "headset" profile which will automatically activate the "headset" source on the head unit and speak the directions.

I think this might be a limitation of the API's available on WP8 as one might not be able to use the headset profile. Maybe someone else can clarify that.

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Some handsfree (like the parrot mki9200) you can choose between streaming and phone (headset) in settings. The main reason for me to choose streaming is the ability to change volume on the radio and live with I have to use aux to hear anything.

On android you can disable ad2p , but I cannot find this on wp8

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk

jayman713

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
This is not just Nokia Drive, this all navigation apps. I have Navigon, have had it since WP 7 on a Samsung Focus and it has always worked this way. I now have the Nokia Lumia 820 and it works the same way with both Navigon and Nokia Drive. It is the Bluetooth Protocols, all app audio is sent over the same Bluetooth protocol as music. I believe this is how it works in all smart phones not just WP. I do not know if they can send app audio over the same Bluetooth protocol as phone call audio, this may be a limitation of Bluetooth. They may need to add new protocols for this, like a 3rd channel, music audio, phone call audio, app audio and then update the apps, phones, and car radios to use the new protocols. 3 years ago I dealt with Samsung on this, was told that app audio could not be heard over Bluetooth unless you were also streaming music from the device.

imprezart

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
This seems to be resolved with 8.1, I'm using the developers preview and can have navigation audio thru my speakers during radio, cd or Bluetooth streaming audio. When an audio command is given the phone now treats it as an incoming call or text and outputs the audio and mutes whatever is playing. I only have Here+ navigation. Works nicely using the 920 and Subaru Impreza 2012 with their basic radio with Bluetooth.

DMelan

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Resolved for some people, broken for others. Requiring you to be on a particular input may not have been ideal, but it worked and it was good enough for many of us. Switching from the Bluetooth streaming profile to the phone profile makes it completely unusable for systems that weren't designed to handle short messages over that profile. The UConnect system that came with my 2013 Chrysler takes a second or two to switch the audio to phone mode. Not a problem when all you're missing is 2 seconds of your phone ringing. A big problem when the message is only 2 seconds long. And every navigation message is followed by the system saying "phone call completed." Here's a typical navigation session since I got the 8.1 update:

"...ckle Boulevard...Phone call completed."
"...Phone call completed"
"...Phone call completed"
"...and make a U Turn...phone call completed"
"...phone call completed"
"...phone call completed"
"... your destination...Phone call completed"
"...stination...Phone call completed"

Obviously a horrible and unusable experience. It worked fine pre-8.1. Yes, I had to have music streaming from my phone instead of listening to the radio (which I didn't mind at all), but at least I could hear the directions.

NutmegState

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, I will have try music streaming and see if it works

On my 2014 Dodge Durango SXT with UConnect it never worked. On an Android device I have, I can toggle Bluetooth Profiles and if I turn off music streaming, then it works. On BMW I can turn off music streaming from the radio and navigation works.

The problem with UConnect is that it pairs the phone as both a phone and a music device

It is such a PITA, I find myself toggling Bluetooth because it is easier

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs