Lumia 920 become hot above the camera.

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
ok so this phone runs hot. everyone's phone is doing the same, unless there is a change in the next update (if that even possible) it will continue to happen.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 920 did this , once I updated to Portico it all went away , I used to deactivate everything and today I activate almost every feature and still the phone doesn't get hot unless its on the wireless charger.

chinlj

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 920 did this , once I updated to Portico it all went away , I used to deactivate everything and today I activate almost every feature and still the phone doesn't get hot unless its on the wireless charger.
that's a very good news. Would like to hear more people who can confirm this. Otherwise this is just an isolated case.

Ted Ritsick

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem since Day 1, returned it to the store, got another one and the guy said it was "normal" when it happened on the second one. I have everything basically off. Portico came and I have the same problem. My back heats up when using network data especially LTE. I flashed once after a failed software reset too and that did not help. I'm trying another software reset tonight and going from there.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
i noticed that it gets particularly hot when surfing the net or when it's trying to search for networks constantly.

True, it will get hot whenever I'm in the area where the signal is not good or no signal at all. Really hope that Nokia will fix this problem, as I'm using other phone and the same provider but the phone didn't get hot. It's just normal.

Great to hear that. Hoping to hear from others who have updated to Portico as well.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem since Day 1, returned it to the store, got another one and the guy said it was "normal" when it happened on the second one. I have everything basically off. Portico came and I have the same problem. My back heats up when using network data especially LTE. I flashed once after a failed software reset too and that did not help. I'm trying another software reset tonight and going from there.

I thought it is normal if it heats up when using network data, especially LTE? As it will consume more power hence more heat.
I have other phone that if it uses HSDPA, it will heat up as well at the back. But if I turn the HSDPA off and just use the 3G, it won't heat up at all.

Ted Ritsick

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that it gets very noticeable hot and will destroy my battery. Even with 4g without LTE ig still heats up. I went skiing today with a full charge. Everything except for cell data was off with the exception of the little but of time I used Nokia drive. Their batteries, at 75% amd like 45 outlasted mine. I also did not have drive enabled in the background and had data off In the lodge where the battery dropped a percent per hour. I'm not playing intensive games or anything either.. The worst I'll get is Alphajax and a few small YouTube videos.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that it gets very noticeable hot and will destroy my battery. Even with 4g without LTE ig still heats up. I went skiing today with a full charge. Everything except for cell data was off with the exception of the little but of time I used Nokia drive. Their batteries, at 75% amd like 45 outlasted mine. I also did not have drive enabled in the background and had data off In the lodge where the battery dropped a percent per hour. I'm not playing intensive games or anything either.. The worst I'll get is Alphajax and a few small YouTube videos.

Yeap, mine was also unbelievably hot. Believe me or not, it was too hot to even touch it. It is just like the car's engine hood. I quickly turned on the airplane mode and it cooled down.
Have you tried to block the Nokia Drive from the Settings -> Application -> Background tasks ?

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
No, there is something definitely wrong. It's not just Nokia Drive- there is clearly something going on incorrectly in the OS.

Pre-Portico update, had very good battery life- with no use, I could go almost 40 hours. Now, I'm getting 2-3 hours. The phone is hot above the camera, as reported. Note items below:
1) I do not have Nokia Drive installed at all
2) If I block everything in background apps, things seem to go back to normal, but this makes having a smartphone pointless. I have turned on programs one by one, and there is no single program that seems to cause this issue. It seems to just start randomly and once it starts, the phone remains hot and the battery is useless.
3) I have another 920 next to this one. Same update, same firmware, does not exhibit the same battery drain/heat issues.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If I'm not using my phone it will cool off.
I can pick it up, send a couple messages and it will start to run warm. I have no problem with it running warm or even hot.

My problem is how fast my battery dies. my battery goes down at an alarming rate. I'm convinced it's a bug in the OS as I experienced this straight out the box (with no apps installed and bloatware removed ). I did not even have a sim card in and it was running warm. I think there is a process that is stuck that is jamming the CPU...

I'm torn now between sending it back to be replaced which is very difficult for me or waiting on a firmware update... Apart from that the phone works flawlessly. I don't want to replace and get a phone with a whole heap of other problems.. UGH.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
So uh... Just a head up. Your network antennas are located on the sides of the phone. Above the camera is the vibrate motor and heat sink for the system board. You're either using a lot of cycle time in the CPU or a good bit of memory.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So uh... Just a head up. Your network antennas are located on the sides of the phone. Above the camera is the vibrate motor and heat sink for the system board. You're either using a lot of cycle time in the CPU or a good bit of memory.

Or Nokia could release a firmware update to fix this.

Or Microsoft fix their buggy OS. :/

xcen

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My phone's usually cool unless I stress it with lots of web browsing, then it gets hot above the camera. Otherwise, cool.

Evlkud

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
My first lumia had this heat issue, it would heat up with no background apps, nfc off, no nokia drive. It would be sitting in my pocket and i'd feel it heat up. Returned it my next one had super bad battery drain! wouldnt last 6hours in "battery saver" mode. Im currently awaiting on my 3rd 920, but im not holding my breath, it appears alot of these phones have serious issues

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What is there to fix? The heat sink is doing it's job, right? As long as you're still connected to the world, that's all that matters

Obviously it's not doing it well enough. I would like to be connected to the world for more than 5 hours ;)

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
So I tried to uninstall this particular awesome app: 1st4 Live Manchester United. I was surprised on how well the developer made this app. It is a very good app. The only drawback is on the app settings, there is an option to set the refresh interval to 30 minutes. But whenever I changed to it, it won't apply the changes. It will always stuck in 1 minute. I suspect this must be one of the reason why the battery drained pretty quick thus the phone becomes very hot whenever it can't find signal.
Then I turn off the phone and turn it on back again.

Now on the battery info:
Remaining battery life: 87%
Estimated time remaining: 2 days 7 hours.
Time since last charge: 10 hours.

Usually, the Estimated time remaining won't even touch 2 days. Always stuck in 1 day 7 hours.
Will try and see again in few days. And probably the network provider might contribute to this longer battery life. As I reported to them that in my area the signal has not been very stable like it used to. And in the last few days, I can see the signal is much more stable.

And under the Background Tasks -> Advanced, now I still have 7 apps listed.

Last edited:

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the phone gets hot there because thats where the heatsink is. There was a blog post a couple weeks ago on WPCentral about how to repair your Lumia 920. I wondered why the phone always became hot right there. Then I saw the video and it all made sense. After using the phone for awhile it wants to dissapate all the heat right above the camera. I wish it was diverted to more places though. After using the camera for an extended period of time, it becomes to hot to hold.

Found the article: http://www.windowscentral.com/how-take-lumia-920-apart-diy-crowd

Last edited:

tonyluo2001

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I used the phone for almost 10 days now, no portico update yet. No reboot problem for me(though I manually reboot it for many times just to view marketplace with different region settings). Heat problem yes. As long as I play angry bird or breeze, both are xbox game, it warm up significantly on the back (around the CPU location), but not very hot (maybe because it's cold here). However, couple days ago when I was out having lunch, it just heat up in my jean out of no reason. I am wonder if it is a network problem or I accidentally activate the camera. After that, never experienced any glitch

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss