Lumia 920 become hot above the camera.

tonyluo2001

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I used the phone for almost 10 days now, no portico update yet. No reboot problem for me(though I manually reboot it for many times just to view marketplace with different region settings). Heat problem yes. As long as I play angry bird or breeze, both are xbox game, it warm up significantly on the back (around the CPU location), but not very hot (maybe because it's cold here). However, couple days ago when I was out having lunch, it just heat up in my jean out of no reason, and it's really really hot on both sides. I am wondering if it is a network problem or I accidentally activate the camera. After that, never experienced any glitch

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
don't use phone while charging.
this applies to laptops and tablets as well

That makes no sense. The only thing that happens when using a device while charging it is that the battery may not charge as fast. If the device can't be used while charging it wasn't designed correctly. I have used many battery powered devices for years and none of them have problems charging and being used at the same time.

David D. Nelson

fabianloing

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I just want to chip in too that I am experiencing similar problem with my Lumia 920.
Sometimes it can get really hot to the point it is definitely uncomfortable to hold.

There was once where I was in the middle of installing a few application where a phone call came in, it was pretty difficult to keep my phone to my ear as it was heating up pretty badly.

I sincerely hope Nokia / Microsoft could somehow come up with a solution.

Thank you.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
My 920 never got hot, just a little warm.

You want a phone that gets HOT? Try the original Sprint Palm Pre. That would take your skin off if you ran Telenav on it.

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, I think my phone knew I was talking bad about it. After I posted about mine getting hot, it decided to do it again. It had been on the wireless charger for a couple hours and when I went to bed I put it on the cord. When I woke up, I saw my phone in a constant restart phase. I took it off the charger and it eventually came back on. Hoever, it is stuck in Airplane mode and no haptic feedback. I did a soft reset and it vibrated so I know the motor isn't broke. But still once it was fully powered on again, it won't leave airplane mode and no haptic feedback. And it won't let me take screenshots either, so I know how my homescreen looked after I go repleace the phone today.

And it looks like the battery is discharging. I plugged it into my PC to get the screenshots (vibration finally came back and I could take screenshots) and even though it's still plugged in I'm down to 18%. So for me it looks like the phone getting hot above the camera turned out to be a big deal. I just hope the AT&T store will give me a new phone since I all I have is the phone and charger and won't be back home till after the new year.

Last edited:

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I guess one of the way to find out whether the network provider cause the problem is to use 2 different network providers. Try one provider with the most stable signal in your area. Didn't manage to get the new SIM card from the other provider to test it today. Will try to get it tomorrow.

datisdesign

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
while your phone becomes too hot please test your camera, open it choose different lenses and play with it. see if this make your phone reset or not

blnwp

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm almost sure the phone warm/hot issue is a firmware problem.

Right out the door of ATT shop, my phone started becoming super hot. All it was doing was the initial setup of the phone and syncing my settings from my previous defective 920. It was using LTE to download the settings and that must be the primary reason for this problem.

This is embarrassing for a flagship product from Nokia. My LTE iPad runs cool all along even after 3-4 hrs of continuous LTE usage. Not to discount the countless iPhone 5s and other LTE android phones on market. I hope it's not hardware related and MS and Nokia fix whatever the issue is in firmware/software.

fabianloing

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm almost sure the phone warm/hot issue is a firmware problem.

Right out the door of ATT shop, my phone started becoming super hot. All it was doing was the initial setup of the phone and syncing my settings from my previous defective 920. It was using LTE to download the settings and that must be the primary reason for this problem.

This is embarrassing for a flagship product from Nokia. My LTE iPad runs cool all along even after 3-4 hrs of continuous LTE usage. Not to discount the countless iPhone 5s and other LTE android phones on market. I hope it's not hardware related and MS and Nokia fix whatever the issue is in firmware/software.

I'm totally hoping the same thing too. In fact, i was just updating some of the currently installed apps on my Lumia 920 and it got quite hot.

I really really hope its a firmware issue that wil be addressed soon.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind the heat/warmth/whatever.

My problem is the stupid battery drain. I'm going to have to take this bad boy back :( I've tried almost everything

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
So after I switch to different provider that has much more stable signal in my area, as expected, the Lumia 920 doesn't feel hot as it was. Apart from uninstalling a particular app, the previous provider will cause the phone to become warm even when I don't use it.
Not only it doesn't feel hot, but the battery life increase significantly :love:
After 12 hours since last charge, the remaining battery still at 90% with estimated time remaining 5 days and 17 hours.

I am not using it heavily, just use a few apps, and leave it idle most of the time, just to compared it with the previous provider.

carlosrdd

May 31, 2012
Visit site
The Heat problem is very serious, I can't play any game for longer than 15mins without it getting super hot. Nokia or MS has to do something ASAP.... This is a very embarrassing problem to have.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The Heat problem is very serious, I can't play any game for longer than 15mins without it getting super hot. Nokia or MS has to do something ASAP.... This is a very embarrassing problem to have.

Or at least say something. Give us a glimmer of hope that they are aware of the problem and they are working on it..

joergi69

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issues :-( too hot , dust under the front facing camera , annoying rattle with the vibrate alert :-( i gave up after the 2nd replacement. My new HTC 8x limelight yellow is coming tomorrow. I'm sorry Nokia! but it was my last handset made by you!

K Rad

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Have had this problem - specially when GPS or 3G gets worked up, but not during gaming and all. A sign of battery drain happening too and you know you've got to switch off Location and/or 3G.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the phone gets hot there because thats where the heatsink is. There was a blog post a couple weeks ago on WPCentral about how to repair your Lumia 920. I wondered why the phone always became hot right there. Then I saw the video and it all made sense. After using the phone for awhile it wants to dissapate all the heat right above the camera. I wish it was diverted to more places though. After using the camera for an extended period of time, it becomes to hot to hold.

Found the article: How to take the Nokia Lumia 920 apart - for the DIY crowd | Windows Phone Central
I mentioned using the camera led to phone the getting hot and battery drain about 3 weeks ago, I am still having the same issue every time I take a few photos the phone heats up and stays hot unless I switch it off. I will be returning this phone as soon as I get back from holidays. unfortunately Thailand dose not have a 30 day replacement policy. and replacing the damaged parts will be the only option they give me. If the replacement is no better I will have to give HTC a try. I am not waiting for Nokia to sort these issues out I had 3 Lumia 900s before all issues were resolved.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
By the way, has anybody tried to download just using the wifi? Just want to compared which one that cause the heat more, wifi or the cellular? Because my wifi speed is just limited to 1 Mbps, so I can't really compare it to using cellular. As my cellular can reach up to 7.2 Mbps (theoretically) and I haven't found any app that can measure the actual speed yet.
When I download using the current network provider, it will become warm but still very comfortable to hold. The previous provider which can reach 14.4 Mbps (theoretically) will cause the phone to become very hot.

And again, at least, Microsoft/Nokia need to aware of this issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99