I give up... My Lumia 920 doesn't have enough apps...

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I really don't care what the absolute number of available apps on any platform is. It wouldn't matter if there were 1 million apps for Windows Phone if the big apps people want still weren't there. We need more banking apps. We need the most popular games the same day as iOS and Android. We need a decent Facebook app. We need Instagram (I know you don't use it, you are on Windows Phone, you can't use it). We need these popular apps so people don't feel like they are missing out by choosing Windows Phone over iOS or Android. If consumers feel like they would be missing out on the games and services all their friends are using by choosing Windows Phone, they won't choose Windows Phone.

FnMag

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
ok, theme started said that 700k apps on the actual phone, (now we all know it was a sarcasm). program contains of bits, bits stored in the sectors in hard drive, if it is said that iphone has 32 gb of memory => certain number of sectors. 700k apps need more number of sectors that 32 gb => in classical physics you cannot fit larger volume in smaller volume keeping the both volumes constant. => Unless they make some "black hole" technology in iphone that would not be possible. Here is the physics for you. :)

Thank You. I knew you would explain it for me. 😃

IcyLumia

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
It's proven that having a lot of apps on your phone causes performance issues. I'll stick with a small hanful of nice and useful ones and call it good.

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
You know what? I use my phone as a phone!! I use it to make calls and text. I may have one or to games on it to kill 5 minutes while i take a ****. Wa,wa,wa. So tired of this argument sooooooooooo tired. 💋

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
You know what? I use my phone as a phone!! I use it to make calls and text. I may have one or to games on it to kill 5 minutes while i take a ****. Wa,wa,wa. So tired of this argument sooooooooooo tired. 💋

If we all took this argument, then why even bother with a smartphone? It makes all of this pointless. At the end of the day, these devices are more than just phones. And MS, Google and Apple's investment on these devices and how they fit into their ideas of media consumption is proof of that, whether we want to accept it or not. Otherwise, we should just stick to simple flip phones and call it a day

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Ah, yes, the latest thread on apps.....

Which really sums it up. It is still an issue. If it wasn't, there would be no more threads on it.

First off, thanks to the OP for finding a fun way to start this thread. I respect sarcasm. It is the only way I get through my day. :wink:

Secondly, there is not one person on this or any other thread that does not have a solid point. From the pro-WP side:

-The app selection is so much better from where it was, it seems stupid to keep complaining about it.
-Sales for WP 8 are increasing- this will bring major apps to the platform.
-Truly, there are web sites for most missing apps and some fantastic replacement apps for still missing "name" apps, so relax.
-People know the app situation going in. It is a trade off for what can easily be defended as the best OS in mobile.

All completely true.

From the pro-apps side:

-Making excuses for not having the apps is part of the reason we do not have the apps.
-Microsoft has the means to "strong arm" or help pay for the main apps to be here, and have dropped the ball.
-No way- NO WAY- iOS and Android users come over in large numbers without the same quality of apps they have now.

Again, being honest, all true statements.

I see the uptrend in app development, and enjoy WP more then other OS's, so I am willing to use the internet option on my phone for my banking needs and enjoy what apps have been developed. But I am also not willing to say it does not matter. It does, and even I expect more from WP by the end of 2013. I am hopeful this will be among the last of these threads. At some point, either this is no longer an issue, or a large portion of us will not be WP users. I like my chosen OS to give it the benefit of the doubt, and have seen the app catalog improve to back up that decision. I also believe Windows 8 and Windows RT tablet sales will help.

Or, not. If not, WP will hover in single digit % of smartphone sales, and there are hundreds more threads about apps coming......

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
And let me just add that my post have nothing to do with the lack of certain apps. Its just solely on the lack of features that really should already be on the platform

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Sarcasm seems to be lost in a lot of people.

Seriously, though, I never understood the apps "issue." How many apps does someone really need?

Exactly. It's quality, not quantity. Do you have good apps that you like that serve your needs well? That is what matters. Everything else is irrelevant.

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Another day, another wp8 zealot burying their head in the sand about WP8's biggest flaw.

Where are the "brand name" apps, like banks, airlines, tv networks, or sports leagues? Look at the top 100 apps on android or ios, and where the **** are they for wp8? Instead we have a lot of bad clones and fakes.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
LOL I'm glad I decided to click on this one eventually..! Not what I expected :D
I have 350+ apps on my WP7 and now around 150 for my WP8, yeah, not enough apps for sure, darn.

killzone killzo

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 920 has 32GB of space.
And after the WP8, I have a few GBs less.

At most, I can only install a few thousand apps.
I can't figure out how iPhone and Android users can have 700K apps in their phone.

I am no more fighting with iPhone and Android users on the app issue.
They win.
I have decided to live with around 60 apps in my phone.

Hmmmm. Regardless whether you are a troll or not, lets suppose that each iphone app is about 1mb in size. Now 700k apps means that they have about 700Gb of space. A capacity that won't be available on smart phones at least for a few decades.

Noskal

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Funny how some people mis-treated OP's sarcasm with 'overly' serious argument :))

As for me, i only have and use around 20-25 apps on my lumia... poor me!

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Sarcasm seems to be lost in a lot of people.

Seriously, though, I never understood the apps "issue." How many apps does someone really need?

It's been answered numerous times:

-it's not about the total sum of apps, it's about the fact that each person has their 'core' of apps they like/want/need and these differ from person to person. With iOS/Android more people are going to be able to find those differing apps because there are more to cherry pick from. When you only have a small app selection, those users are less likely to find that magic spot of a set of particular apps that suits them.

-Big name apps. Android/iOS have ALL of them. WP8 does not. This is an easy point.

-this is where it gets more subtle, and this kind of ties in with the first point - tier 2 and tier 3 apps. These aren't the Facebooks or Instagrams, these are more like your file managers, personal organizers, bank apps, fitness trackers etc etc. There's a TON of these tier 2 developers on iOS/Android because the smaller potato guys know that's who butters their bread. It's hard to convince these guys to develop for OS's with a smaller user base, and really, these are the guys are the unmentioned backbone of an app store.

galantnole

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have <20 apps on my 920...

but then again, I am coming from a first gen Blackberry Torch, where, well... I'll just leave it at that. (I'm still discovering the world of usable Apps, though I do miss the Touch messaging app)

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I installed 100k fart aps on my iPhone and now it stinks.....lol :winktongue:

And let me just add that my post have nothing to do with the lack of certain apps. Its just solely on the lack of features that really should already be on the platform

Brow relax WP8 has only been out a couple of months why the constant panic in every thread. We get it there are things missing in WP that you want these things take time. Relax and enjoy the ride. In this thread we are talking facetiously about app quantity nothing serious in this thread at all. Time to stop the thread craping.

Last edited:

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I looked through the Google Play Store at the current crop of applications they had available and I was kind of ho hum about it. I?m sure my kids will be angry because I don?t have a Furby app on my phone anymore but they really need to learn how to feed and take care of their own pets. People don't need 10 different weed growing and smoking apps. Why do they even need one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven