Battery went from 100% to 42% in 6 hours with light usage. Normal?

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
So I left the charger at 100% on 18:24 and left home.

While outside:
- I sent a few WhatsApp messages and received some.
- Browsed the web with IE10 mobile browser.
- Took some photos in full resolution.
- Shot 3 short 10 second videos at 1080p.
- Made and received 2 calls.

Came back home and realized the phone battery is at 42%. More information about my phone below:

Apps installed:
- Battery tile & log
- Flashlight from smallte.ch
- gMaps
- Accurate Tuner Free
- Suggestion Box
- Translator
- Weather Channel
- WhatsApp

Background Tasks:
- Battery tile & log (allowed)
- extras+info (allowed)
- gMaps (blocked)
- Weather Channel (blocked)
- WhatsApp (allowed)

Settings:
- Wifi: On
- Data Connection: 3G On Don't Roam
- NFC: Off
- Bluetooth: Off
- Airplane Mode: Off
- Brightness: Medium (Auto: Off)
- Touch Sensitivity: Normal
- Battery Saver: On

Is the battery suppose to behave like this, or is my settings discharging the battery too quickly? Help is appreciated.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
To put it in a bit of perspective. From my phones battery menu I currently have 32% left on my battery and it's been off the charger a little over 20 hours now. I do a bit of browsing and a ton of BT Music streaming to my car and headset.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
To put it in a bit of perspective. From my phones battery menu I currently have 32% left on my battery and it's been off the charger a little over 20 hours now. I do a bit of browsing and a ton of BT Music streaming to my car and headset.

Do you have the same apps that I have installed on your phone?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
This is normal on mine, and happens every day with less usage than you have posted.

On a side note, I would like to figure out the requirements for light, medium and heavy use.

I find that using the internet for 5 minutes on mine drops the battery percentage about 2%. Playing a game for a few minutes does the same. I do think my battery is not up to par.

For example today, my phone has been off the charger for two hours. No calls, no texts, 4 emails, 2 minutes of internet. I am currently at 91%.

Edit: 10 minutes later down to 88%. All I did was go and look at my background tasks. Nice.

Last edited:

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I've read that gmaps has a glitch where the compass stays on. Try uninstalling gmaps and see if that helps. There may also be a way to disable the compass in gmaps settings.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the same apps that I have installed on your phone?

The only app I have that you have is Weather Channel but it's blocked from running in the Background. I use Weatherflow for my LiveTile/Lock screen and only go into weather channel when I want to see the radar. I also block Nokia Drive from running in the background as well.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I've read that gmaps has a glitch where the compass stays on. Try uninstalling gmaps and see if that helps. There may also be a way to disable the compass in gmaps settings.

Yep, I suspect gMaps as well. I have just uninstalled gMaps and Suggestion Box apps and I will see whether it drops 2% every 10 minutes.

BTW, suggestion box is a completely useless app. I cannot even register inside the app.

I have installed the translator camera lens app.

cruisezero

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Im having similar issues since portico update.. It might not be portico maybe some app sucking the battery, but 10% drain in 40min (only used to check time maybe 3 times in the 40min interval). Its really annoying. Have you found any solutions yet? any culprit $hitty program?? On backgroud tasks I have Accuweather, GasBuddy, Groupon, Nokia Drive+ active and Chase mobile, Metrotube, My expenses, Weave News Reader and Yelp inactive/blocked.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Im having similar issues since portico update.. It might not be portico maybe some app sucking the battery, but 10% drain in 40min (only used to check time maybe 3 times in the 40min interval). Its really annoying. Have you found any solutions yet? any culprit $hitty program?? On backgroud tasks I have Accuweather, GasBuddy, Groupon, Nokia Drive+ active and Chase mobile, Metrotube, My expenses, Weave News Reader and Yelp inactive/blocked.

I believe it's some app made for WP7 that is draining the battery. I am surprised to find just how buggy most apps in the store is. I used to have pretty good battery life when I installed portico.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've seen the battery drop faster than that with no use and then I've seen the battery go strong all day long with moderate usage. On the bright side I have many more good and average days than mega battery drain days.

It's perplexing.

Anirudh Sarma

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

metrotube. Uninstall it and check

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Mine is being somewhat finicky as well. Also, since the Portico update, my GPS/location icon is visible in the status bar EVERY TIME I unlock my phone, and sometimes it takes minutes to go away. The only app I have that's allowed to run in the background is Accu Weather, but even if I block it, the icon is still there when I unlock my phone. I've turned find my phone off and it still shows. No other apps are set to use location services. Turning on airplane mode, rebooting and disabling location and then turning it back on does not fix the issue. Not sure what's causing it, but I am positive this was not the case before I updated.

pdskep

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Mine is being somewhat finicky as well. Also, since the Portico update, my GPS/location icon is visible in the status bar EVERY TIME I unlock my phone,
I have the same issue. It even is on when in airplane mode. It doesn't seem to be affecting the battery life as I see it when there isn't a battery drain and I get good battery life.

Andy Barker

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was actually going to post something very similar. Love the 920 im on my second one. First one was duff due to not being able to install apps. But im too worried about the battery. I get about 10 to 12 hrs till its 2% left. Normal usage. Emails calls odd game etc but my iphone way outlasted this and i don't use it differently. Unfortunately im in UK and on t-mobile and we won't get the new win8 update till feb i believe. Do i wait to get the update or do intake the second 920 back to t-mobile. Only has the contract since the end on November. Will t-mobile even swap it this time? Win 8 rules that's for certain.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

You seem to be right on the ball with gMaps compass staying on after exiting the app. I disabled the compass and the battery drain seemed to have returned to "normal". I will have to do more test to confirm this finding.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Given, today has been a fairly light use day for me, but I'm currently having 88% battery left, 1day 5 hours remaining, time off charger 12 hours. BT and NFC off, WLAN on, one email on push (got other mails redirected to my outlook). A weather app and a few news apps in addition to the "defaults" that check for updates regularly.

Even on a heavy use day (heavy for me might be medium for someone else though) I've never been even close to running out of juice. However I do have to mention that since I got the Surface, my phone usage has dropped somewhat cos I no longer browse so much web on my phone.

Regardless of what is light, medium or heavy, judging from the info OP gave us, that isn't normal battery drain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99