Battery went from 100% to 42% in 6 hours with light usage. Normal?

Wit Stwosz

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
From my personal usage? When i successfuly turned the phone on, there still was 22% of battery (at least that is what the indicator was showing me). Bad idea? I'm not an expert, but now I'm getting 2 full days of usage, opposing to miserable 10-12 hours before.

We need screen shots of your battery meter. Are you sure you are using a WP?

No, it's iOS 2.0 and I was sent here by Apple to destroy all your phone batteries :lol:.

I mean come on, why do you accuse me of lying? Since completely draining my battery, I'm getting 2 days of usage.

Period.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
From my personal usage? When i successfuly turned the phone on, there still was 22% of battery (at least that is what the indicator was showing me). Bad idea? I'm not an expert, but now I'm getting 2 full days of usage, opposing to miserable 10-12 hours before.

No, it's iOS 2.0 and I was sent here by Apple to destroy all your phone batteries :lol:.

I mean come on, why do you accuse me of lying? Since completely draining my battery, I'm getting 2 days of usage.

Period.

You cant be talking about an iPhone you wouldn't be getting that kind of battery life from one of those devices either.

The 2000 mAh LiPoly battery on the L920 is protected from dropping below a certain voltage to keep from harming the battery if you are doing this on propose you will damage your battery. These batteries do not need conditioning they respond better and last longer when kept topped off or closer to fully charged.

What would be the harm in providing us a screen shot of your battery life. I have used these devices for a long time to expect the battery life you are calming is suspect to me. I could indeed be wrong. Why not install battery level app on your L920 and give us a 30 hour graph of your battery consumption so we can all see how you are doing it.

Wit Stwosz

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
2 days on iPhone 4 is impossible with normal usage? Good to know.

What would be the harm in providing us a screen shot of your battery life. I have used these devices for a long time to expect the battery life you are calming is suspect to me. I could indeed be wrong. Why not install battery level app on your L920 and give us a 30 hour graph of your battery consumption so we can all see how you are doing it.

No problem good sir. I'm going to sleep now, but tomorrow in the morning I will download this app and report back after 30 hours. If I don't deliever, you can call me a liar.

edit: Oh, and about this Battery Level app: I assume battery doesn't take a hit because of it? I remember reading a while ago, that there were some problem with one app which was connected to battery.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
To the OP I want to tell you my daily usage of my L920. I use my device I don't worry about batter much. I pick up my phone at 5:30 am before lunch I make about 10 to 30 calls between calls I listen to music. I use a Bluetooth headset so Bluetooth is on. I have a charging stand I use so NFC is on. I use WIFI at home so WIFI is on I never turn anything off. I have 2 emails one on push at all times the other pulls mail every 2 hours.

Background Tasks I have running:
Accuweather
Amazing weather HD
Battery Level
Locksider+
Nolia Drive
USA Today
Weather (Weather Channel app)
WeatherMaster
WPCentral

All running in the background. I am a bit of a weather nut.
I have 73 apps in my app list. I use my device. I will surf some between calls, I also use the WPC app a few times a day and music. When I sit down at lunch my phone is usually between 50%-80% depending on the number of calls. More longer calls less battery. I charge for around 30 minutes while I eat my lunch. Then at the end of the day after another 10 to 20 calls and listening to music surfing, using the WPC app, I can expect to sit down at my chair around 6 pm with my battery at around 20% to 30%.

I have had days where I will notice that my battery is draining more quickly. Its not all the time I am not sure what causes it. It doesn't happen enough for me to develop a pattern. When I see that I have lost more than 10% battery in a hour I reset my device. This seams to end the battery drain for me.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
2 days on iPhone 4 is impossible with normal usage? Good to know.

No problem good sir. I'm going to sleep now, but tomorrow in the morning I will download this app and report back after 30 hours. If I don't deliever, you can call me a liar.

edit: Oh, and about this Battery Level app: I assume battery doesn't take a hit because of it? I remember reading a while ago, that there were some problem with one app which was connected to battery.

I just noticed your edit. Not that I am aware of I have had it on my Lumia sense the app was releaser I haven't noticed any issues with it. You might like the app its nice to have when you want to monitor the battery on your device.

ale2999

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think that you are the closest to an answer.
I also started using an app and the phone started getting warm and drawing the battery. The first time that this occurred I exited the app, however it kept draining and killed the phone quickly.
When it occurred on a different day, I restarted the phone, and it cooled off.
I firmly believe that some api/process gets stuck using 100% of the processing power.

Has any other of the wp8 exhibited this problem? If no, then it is nokia's to fix. If it is occurring on other models, it is Microsoft.

Venugopal Jakhotiya

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think the API solution is best one... Apps like IM+, Mybatterystatus , Facebook(yes the updated version) all have this kind of effect on the phone.. after uninstalling these apps I did a soft reset .. Getting close to 14 hours battery life with medium use.
Another thing, the whatsapp for wp8 is really buggy and slow as it is .. on top of that it even drains battery pretty heavily.. whenever I used it for extended periods there was significant amount of battery drain.. On the other hand, whenever I avoided whatsapp and continued using IE, Metrotube, Twitter, Weave, Messaging the battery life as pretty good...
I have always been a bit reluctant about getting my phone reset. That's why I tried out multiple solutions and I guess they have worked.
P.S.: Still need a good messenger app for Gtalk and a better whatsapp. However bad Android might be, whatsapp for Android is way better than that on WP. Hope it gets updated soon to the said 'six times faster' levels.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
At 11 hours and 75% battery. This is after uninstalling whatsapp. Yesterday with the same usage I was at 14% at 10 hours.

Mr37

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well guys I had my old sprint HTC as well AT&T lumia for a month, HTC was the main phone. I wanted to test out LUMIA and AT&T before the switch but I was really busy with work so I couldn't experiment with it too much. That being said I was getting REALLY good stand-by times with 920. Now the only new app I am using on top of everything I previously had on my phone is " whatsapp ". My idle charge went down drastically so I am going to uninstall that and see what happens.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
To the OP I want to tell you my daily usage of my L920. I use my device I don't worry about batter much. I pick up my phone at 5:30 am before lunch I make about 10 to 30 calls between calls I listen to music. I use a Bluetooth headset so Bluetooth is on. I have a charging stand I use so NFC is on. I use WIFI at home so WIFI is on I never turn anything off. I have 2 emails one on push at all times the other pulls mail every 2 hours.

Background Tasks I have running:
Accuweather
Amazing weather HD
Battery Level
Locksider+
Nolia Drive
USA Today
Weather (Weather Channel app)
WeatherMaster
WPCentral

All running in the background. I am a bit of a weather nut.
I have 73 apps in my app list. I use my device. I will surf some between calls, I also use the WPC app a few times a day and music. When I sit down at lunch my phone is usually between 50%-80% depending on the number of calls. More longer calls less battery. I charge for around 30 minutes while I eat my lunch. Then at the end of the day after another 10 to 20 calls and listening to music surfing, using the WPC app, I can expect to sit down at my chair around 6 pm with my battery at around 20% to 30%.

I have had days where I will notice that my battery is draining more quickly. Its not all the time I am not sure what causes it. It doesn't happen enough for me to develop a pattern. When I see that I have lost more than 10% battery in a hour I reset my device. This seams to end the battery drain for me.

To me, this sounds much more like a realistic battery report. I am sure this is what I get. We'll have to see about the guy going for over 30 hours without a charge and still have 48% left.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I think the API solution is best one... Apps like IM+, Mybatterystatus , Facebook(yes the updated version) all have this kind of effect on the phone.. after uninstalling these apps I did a soft reset .. Getting close to 14 hours battery life with medium use.
Another thing, the whatsapp for wp8 is really buggy and slow as it is .. on top of that it even drains battery pretty heavily.. whenever I used it for extended periods there was significant amount of battery drain.. On the other hand, whenever I avoided whatsapp and continued using IE, Metrotube, Twitter, Weave, Messaging the battery life as pretty good...
I have always been a bit reluctant about getting my phone reset. That's why I tried out multiple solutions and I guess they have worked.
P.S.: Still need a good messenger app for Gtalk and a better whatsapp. However bad Android might be, whatsapp for Android is way better than that on WP. Hope it gets updated soon to the said 'six times faster' levels.

Yeah Android's pretty bad in most aspects, enough said.

Problem with soft reset for me is the date and time gets reset as well. The Auto date correction does not do a darn thing!

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone explain why my phone went from 50% to 75% after a reboot? Went through the day with some light usage. Decided to reboot to fix a minor problem I was having. Battery jumps back up in the process.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone explain why my phone went from 50% to 75% after a reboot? Went through the day with some light usage. Decided to reboot to fix a minor problem I was having. Battery jumps back up in the process.

You probably had more battery juice than indicated before the reboot.

Venugopal Jakhotiya

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah Android's pretty bad in most aspects, enough said.

Problem with soft reset for me is the date and time gets reset as well. The Auto date correction does not do a darn thing!
The auto date correction works for me ... the date only gets reset for a couple of minutes and then the auto date correction kicks in and the date is set back to normal..
Have performed the soft reset twice till now.. Auto Date correction worked both times

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have two apps on my phone that have caused a drain: GMaps and Whatsapp. I really need both as I can't live without Google Maps and Whatsapp is the number one mobile communication method in my country. After many tests I found out that disabling the compass in GMaps stopped the drain caused by it and that using Stop The Music after exiting Whatsapp stopped that drain.

I don't know what the compass has to do with GMaps draining the battery when I have the background task disabled in settings and the live tile and latitude disabled in the app, but it works for me. I just noticed that GMaps would always say that I have to recalibrate my compass when I started the app, so maybe it starts a process waiting for the compass to be recalibrated, I really don't know. With Whatsapp the drain is much clearer. They stream a sound via the music API so that WIFI doesn't turn itself off when you put the phone in standby, so it's logical that it drains the battery. Stop The Music kills the stream and therefore the drain will stop.

But like said before, it almost looks like everyone has a battery drain with a different app, so it's definitely an OS problem which Microsoft needs to fix asap.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Since I've gotten my lumia 920 and experiencing heat/crazy battery drain I said to my self that it has to be a bug. A process is stuck that is jamming the CPU and causing the battery to drain.

Part of me wants to send back my lumia and get a replacement. The other part of me wants to keep it and wait for a software/firmware update. I'm torn right now and don't know what to do. I have about 24hrs to make a decision :(

I get no other issues with my phone. Would hate to get a replacement and suffer from other problems like the proximity sensor/vibrate rattle/dust under FFC/poor build design etc.

SIGH.

If Microsoft/nokia would say something. At least that an update is coming soon. I would wait :(

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I think that you are the closest to an answer.
I also started using an app and the phone started getting warm and drawing the battery. The first time that this occurred I exited the app, however it kept draining and killed the phone quickly.
When it occurred on a different day, I restarted the phone, and it cooled off.
I firmly believe that some api/process gets stuck using 100% of the processing power.

Has any other of the wp8 exhibited this problem? If no, then it is nokia's to fix. If it is occurring on other models, it is Microsoft.

I have had this problem recently with the Mmm Beer app with API for Untappd, even if not running in the background. I charge to 100% by 12am and my phone usually has 98% charge when I wake up. It was dead the 4 days each morning this app was installed.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The auto date correction works for me ... the date only gets reset for a couple of minutes and then the auto date correction kicks in and the date is set back to normal..
Have performed the soft reset twice till now.. Auto Date correction worked both times

Okay, it got the time right, but the date wrong!

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Mate, I maybe a stupid man and ask a silly question. How to turn off the compress in GMaps and kill music API in Whatapps? I don't see those settings respectively

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo