Battery went from 100% to 42% in 6 hours with light usage. Normal?

gaaaaaaaaabriel

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
my battery dies in 8 hours with light usage. and that is - deliberately conserving battery life because i know its gonna run out. gonna send it to nokia once i get back to australia

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have excellent battery performance (2 days on a single charge with light usage), however, I have found if I accidentally leave certain apps running it can kill my battery. Dungeon Stalker for one killed my battery in less than 2 hours (not that it's a bad game, I love it and have the paid version). I don't have it enabled for background but regardless it kills my battery.

Rajesh Rajendran

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
i totally agree on that. i dont use GMaps but i use whatsapp. i can feel the phone gets hot like within 5 mins of whatsapping. use the camera for more than 3 mins you can start feeling the heat. using twitter and opening random links from the twitter posts also makes the phone hot. playing a pretty basic game like wordament also heats up the phone and drains the battery.

Did anyone tried to use the phone setting the "higher connection speed to 3G" under the Settings-->Mobile network? if so.. what noticeable changes you found on the overheating issues? May be i will try using the phone under 3G settings for a day and see what i can find.

As of now to me these are the serious OS issues that microsoft needs to address asap to make customers not regret their decision to get an windows phone.

#switched from iphone to Lumia920 yellow

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Mate, I maybe a stupid man and ask a silly question. How to turn off the compress in GMaps and kill music API in Whatapps? I don't see those settings respectively
The compass in Gmaps is the icon you see on the right side (I don't see it anymore, it now only shows like three white things on top of each other). And Stop The Music is an app you have to download from the store: Stop the Music! | Windows Phone Apps & games Store (Nederland) Just download the trail, it's fully functional. Pin the Stop The Music button from within the app to your start screen (that will stop the music immediately without entering the app itself)

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if my battery life has been "fixed"

I've had it idle for an hour and it's still at 100%. I had the network on 2g, bt off, nfc off, wireless off, no backround tasks except extras and info and screen brightness was set to low.

Have a look at my sky drive folder with a couple shots.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5B700CA437579731!193&authkey=!APonigLF485BCvY

Now the first one shows the 100% after an hour. If you look at the other three.. Look at the time stamps in the top right hand corner. And look at how the battery is draining. This is also being idle. In addition, it is in airplane mode, so cellular data is switched off.

Edit. Before I posted this up, I put on my wifi and checked 2 facebook notifications. Battery dropped to 99%

The time in the 100% shot is 1:57. It's 2:13 now and i'm down to 98%. This was witth the phone being idle, but wifi was on. I just switched off wifi and will continue to monitor.

Man. This is annoying..

bt66

May 26, 2011
Visit site
not sure bout other people...but I have noticed that if I open an app that either needs to use the GPS or games, is when I get the big battery drain. If I use the phone normal email, web browsing, etc. I get excellent battery life.

My suspicion is that even though the app looks closed visually something in it doesn't close properly and continues to run in the background till the memory that it is in has been cleared.

To test this I used crimson dragon for a short period of time (GPS used in game), closed it the phone stays warm long after I closed the application...did a restart and phone goes back to normal temp. So something is still running in the background.

End result we need a task manager or a way to force programs closed.

I agree. I noticed something very similar & was wondering why my phone is so warm even after exiting an app. One day I noticed my battery drop 40% after using Geekbyte app. Very odd. But I think the GPS issue is a big one. SO now, I try to reboot my phone when i notice it stays warm after exiting an app after 2 or 3 minutes,. I have noticed the drop also just browsing for 5 minutes or so. It also gets fairly warm just browsing. OS seems to be fairly buggy still.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if my battery life has been "fixed"

I've had it idle for an hour and it's still at 100%. I had the network on 2g, bt off, nfc off, wireless off, no backround tasks except extras and info and screen brightness was set to low.

Have a look at my sky drive folder with a couple shots.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5B700CA437579731!193&authkey=!APonigLF485BCvY

Now the first one shows the 100% after an hour. If you look at the other three.. Look at the time stamps in the top right hand corner. And look at how the battery is draining. This is also being idle. In addition, it is in airplane mode, so cellular data is switched off.

Edit. Before I posted this up, I put on my wifi and checked 2 facebook notifications. Battery dropped to 99%

The time in the 100% shot is 1:57. It's 2:13 now and i'm down to 98%. This was witth the phone being idle, but wifi was on. I just switched off wifi and will continue to monitor.

Man. This is annoying..

Yes. Im quoting my self. My battery is now at 96%!!!

Did a soft reset and now it's at 91%!
Ugh.

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
That's really crazy. I charged my phone 2 hours before going to bed last night, I didn't use the phone from then till I woke up (it was connected with 2G and WIFI, but nobody called or Whatsapped me and I didn't browse the internet) and when I woke up it was still at 100%... 12 hours later!! I've had this happen before and in the end I didn't get more than 2 days of usage. The battery saver information is just nuts and you can't trust it a bit.

bt66

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree. That's what I have been doing. I think it's an OS issue. there are some apps causing it...but in general, it's the way the OS is handling the opening & closing of apps I think. On my 900 overall the battery was an issue, but I never had to rest the phone or had any freeze issues. WIth WP8 it's very different or the 920 manufacturing is an issue.

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I was getting amazing battery life before the update. I think it could be gMaps causing my battery drain. I opened gMaps 4 hours ago and my phone has drained to 56% with very little usage. Rebooted my phone 30 minutes ago and the percentage hasn't moved. I use gMaps for Google Latitude, just to see where my friends are. Hopefully a real Google Latitude client will be coming soon.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
So here's something I was surprised by. Shut down my phone for 30 minutes with 43% battery juice left. When I turned it on, it increased to 53%! Going to settings -> battery reveals the screenshot below:

wpbattery.jpg

I've just unplugged the charger 35 minutes ago and yet it is saying otherwise. This is a huge WP8 bug.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I purposely charged my phone 100% and let it sit all night while i slept.

After 6 hours, it was 75% without no use at all. After checking people hub some and went back to sleep, after 2 hours, it was 53%. Im in afternoon and have to recharge again.

I saw something about alpha jax, i had a 920 phone that had no battery drain and I had alphajax installed and running 2 games at the same time with notifications, so i'd say it is not alphajax.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
My battery has gone from 100% to 11% in 5 hours. I've been online a lot, taken a few pics and I'm in an LTE area. My battery life has been pretty bad for about a week. I installed Portico a couple days ago.

anon(5329748)

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I haven't read through all of the posts yet, but I wanted to share what happened with my phone.

I think you're on to something with it being the GPS. I changed WeatherFlow from using Location to using a specific city, and MyBattery app is showing 2 Days, 2 hours, 36 minutes of runtime left at 82%. Since I made the change approximately 5 hours ago, I have only lost 4% battery. Previously, I would lose 10% an hour, and considering I had WeatherFlow set to update hourly, it would make sense why I had such a battery drain. Friday between 9:30 and 4:30, I went from 100% charge to critical (5%), and that time includes when the battery saver kicked in from 20% to 5%.

Thanks for the heads up on the GPS.

mwdavis84

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My battery life has been really bad the past few days, and I haven't been doing anything different, which I find a bit off. The other night, I forgot to put it on the charger, but it was at 70% - should last through the night without any issue. It didn't, it burned down fast and died. Since then I've seen pretty crazy burn rates...no good. Making me yearn for the 8x...

wp_ss_20121230_0001.jpg

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Seeing all these other bad battery posts makes me wanna keep my phone and wait for another update rather than returning it.
What do we do guys?!

TroySchuster

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Im having similar issues since portico update.. It might not be portico maybe some app sucking the battery, but 10% drain in 40min (only used to check time maybe 3 times in the 40min interval). Its really annoying. Have you found any solutions yet? any culprit $hitty program?? On backgroud tasks I have Accuweather, GasBuddy, Groupon, Nokia Drive+ active and Chase mobile, Metrotube, My expenses, Weave News Reader and Yelp inactive/blocked.

cruisezero, Nokia's website suggests blocking Nokia Drive+ (beta) as that is known to suck battery power, even if it isn't actually running. Try that n see if that helps...

mwdavis84

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
cruisezero, Nokia's website suggests blocking Nokia Drive+ (beta) as that is known to suck battery power, even if it isn't actually running. Try that n see if that helps...

Well, location-aware apps run in the background, so if you open Drive and hit the windows key to exit, it will keep going. But if you back all the way out and completely close it, that shouldn't be a problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire