Battery went from 100% to 42% in 6 hours with light usage. Normal?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, location-aware apps run in the background, so if you open Drive and hit the windows key to exit, it will keep going. But if you back all the way out and completely close it, that shouldn't be a problem.

Wrong. It's still in beta and a process is still running even if the app is closed.

I have drive uninstalled from my phone and It still remains. Maybe, it did not uninstall totally.

mwdavis84

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Wrong. It's still in beta and a process is still running even if the app is closed.

I have drive uninstalled from my phone and It still remains. Maybe, it did not uninstall totally.

So you are quite insistent that the problem is Drive - despite the fact that you've uninstalled Drive and still have the problem. That's intriguing

Background tasks in Windows Phone (ones that occur regardless of whether or not the app has been used) fire every 30 minutes and are quite limited. Starting with the WP8 SDK, location-aware apps are permitted to truly run in the background - but the app needs to actually launch for that to happen, hence my above suggestion.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

No you are wrong if you back out of an app using the arrow key the app gets closed and stops running. Only exception is any app that is listed in your background tasks. Nokia drive is one of the apps that can run in the background but you can cancel this in settings.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So you are quite insistent that the problem is Drive - despite the fact that you've uninstalled Drive and still have the problem. That's intriguing

Background tasks in Windows Phone (ones that occur regardless of whether or not the app has been used) fire every 30 minutes and are quite limited. Starting with the WP8 SDK, location-aware apps are permitted to truly run in the background - but the app needs to actually launch for that to happen, hence my above suggestion.

Ok. Well you are right. Nokia is wrong. I mean. It's not like it's THEIR phone. Or THEIR app or anything. Naaahh.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No you are wrong if you back out of an app using the arrow key the app gets closed and stops running. Only exception is any app that is listed in your background tasks. Nokia drive is one of the apps that can run in the background but you can cancel this in settings.

Shhhhhhh. If you back out of an app it's closed. If you don't open it, it's not running.

mwdavis84

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Well you are right. Nokia is wrong. I mean. It's not like it's THEIR phone. Or THEIR app or anything. Naaahh.

Settle down sport. Tell me where Nokia says I'm wrong? I just explained to you how background tasks work in the WP8 SDK. Location aware applications can run in the background - blocking it in the settings prevents that from happening, but if you back all the way out of the application, as opposed to pressing the "home" button, you actually close it, and that prevents it as well. And if you uninstall the application, obviously it can't be running, so your issue is clearly unrelated.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Settle down sport. Tell me where Nokia says I'm wrong? I just explained to you how background tasks work in the WP8 SDK. Location aware applications can run in the background - blocking it in the settings prevents that from happening, but if you back all the way out of the application, as opposed to pressing the "home" button, you actually close it, and that prevents it as well. And if you uninstall the application, obviously it can't be running, so your issue is clearly unrelated.

Ok buddy. Whatever you say.

I never said my issue IS Nokia Drive. I was just making wild guesses because my battery life sucks.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Apps that have Background Tasks enabled will run without you starting the app. That is how things like toast notifications and weather updated are loaded to your device. Once you give permissions in Background Tasks that app will run when it needs to without you doing anything.

mwdavis84

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Apps that have Background Tasks enabled will run without you starting the app. That is how things like toast notifications and weather updated are loaded to your device. Once you give permissions in Background Tasks that app will run when it needs to without you doing anything.

As I mentioned earlier, apps can indeed run independently of the context of the application itself - but they do not have full control to do whatever they want. They are limited by the SDK, for performance and battery purposes. At most, these tasks will run every half hour on battery power, and have a limited subset of APIs available. True "background running" is available to location-aware applications, but only after they've been started. You can read about it on MSDN, the first kind is called a PeriodicTask (http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/upload...sourceintensive-tasks-in-windows-phone-mango/), or for location-aware apps: How to run location-tracking apps in the background for Windows Phone 8

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
As I mentioned earlier, apps can indeed run independently of the context of the application itself - but they do not have full control to do whatever they want. They are limited by the SDK, for performance and battery purposes. At most, these tasks will run every half hour on battery power, and have a limited subset of APIs available. True "background running" is available to location-aware applications, but only after they've been started. You can read about it on MSDN, the first kind is called a PeriodicTask (Periodic and ResourceIntensive Tasks in Windows Phone (Mango)), or for location-aware apps: How to run location-tracking apps in the background for Windows Phone 8

All good factual information thanks for posting it. The main thing we want to do here is make sure people know the facts. Thanks for posting.

fraddy

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Most manufacturers probably WANT their devices to drain batteries fast as those batteries will die faster with the recharging cycles happening more frequently leading to buying new batteries and/or phones more quickly and generating more income for them. Perhaps sometimes they overdo. As customers we should support those companies that provide their phones with huge, replacable batteries - for our own good!

TheRevMikeS

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
920 owner here. It seems Portico update is main culprit for me. Prior to update I was getting 4 days of light use before a recharge was necessary. Now I'm lucky if I get 24 hours. Have now uninstalled WhatsApp. Only turn on network when I must have it (rarely). Went from 80% to 24% overnight. Have Wi-Fi on only about 12 hours out of a 24 hour day. Will see if WhatsApp being uninstalled makes significant improvement. Nope Nokia is getting informed about this!

fraddy

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I suspect most, of not all, manuf.acturers of purposely fitting low-mAh rating batteries in their devices. The faster the approximately 1000 recharging cycles take place, the sooner a new battery/phone needs to be bought. And it'll normally bite after a warranty period has expired. Perhaps some manufacturers don't pay attention to OS/app power consumption for the same reason. If this is true, they will perhaps overdo at times, forcing some consumers to recharge every 10 hours. We as consumers should buy mainly those devices that have batteries with about 3000 mAh batteries which may force the manufacturers to provide us with better user experience in this area.

chandramuralis

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
As some one suggested I made sure to turn off compass in gMaps Pro and then changed the brightness settings to Low and then turn on the automatic light. This phenomenally increased by battery performance. My battery meter shows 86% usage after 6 hours, I'll keep an eye on my batter and will update later.

Andy Barker

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I too set screen to low double checked all.background apps and all that now runs is the weather app. Also uninstalled skype and my battery is much better. Instead of 12 hrs between charging its now. 18 to 24 hrs. Happy new year to all

Andy Barker

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Playing video either files on the phone or via plex to my home server the l920 does use a fair bit of battery. Hate to admit it but the iphone was better with battery while playing videos. BUT!!! The l920 has a far superior screen. So its worth the battery drain;-)

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I only purchased my 920 at the weekend. Here I am at Lunchtime... 25%.

Yes, I have used it for 1 business call and a short Nokia Drive to test that, but 25% by lunchtime is ATROCIOUS.

And this is with NFC OFF, Bluetooth OFF, Usefulness OFF

All updates including all store updates from Nokia are installed. I even went and blocked a couple of background apps to see if that helps.

As I have a 14 day return policy, they'd better announce a fix pretty quick or it's back to my iPhone 4.

As for AT&T not permitting you to change 4G to 3G to assist with battery life.... what a POS. This is my phone. If I want 3G then I should be allowed to use 3G and not 4G.

Andy Barker

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked your background tasks? You also on 4g ig not switch the phone to use 3g. I also found skype to drain the battery. Set screen to low too.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked your background tasks? You also on 4g ig not switch the phone to use 3g. I also found skype to drain the battery. Set screen to low too.

All background tasks that can be blocked, are blocked.

I have no choice to switch 4G/3G. Apparently AT&T did us there. Cellular = on/off. It is on.

Yes, I have apps installed (Skype included) but should I really have to uninstall everything to get a useful working phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa