Idle Drain Frustrations

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone with Portico have any issues with idle drain on their 920's? I performed a hard reset on my replacement and even drained the battery twice this week, and I'm still seeing considerable idle drain. Without ANY use whatsoever, my 920 went from 100 to 85 in a matter of three hours. This isn't nearly as horrible as some of you guys out there, but I never experienced this issue before the Portico update. I had these apps running in the background: Weather Channel, Weave, and WPCentral. But after blocking them I still get about a 2% drop every thirty minutes. NFC, Bluetooth, GPS, was off. Just Wifi. What gives? My sister's Iphone 4 only dropped 5% in 4 hours, and she was actually using hers. What's the point of having live tiles if it leaves your phone dead in a few hours?

I'm really trying to get past these issues and not join the rest of us who are ranting about their phone issues, but this is becoming really annoying. So, has anyone found a fix to this? I'm getting really disappointed with Microsoft, as this seems to be a software issue.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh. 2% every thirty minutes? I would kill for that. I lose about 1% every couple minutes.

I'm trying really hard not to send this back. How was yours before the portico update? If it was good, just manually flash it back to the previous version.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Why not whack your phone in airplane mode, turn off all background tasks, and gradually ramp stuff back in until you find the problem.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone with Portico have any issues with idle drain on their 920's? I performed a hard reset on my replacement and even drained the battery twice this week, and I'm still seeing considerable idle drain. Without ANY use whatsoever, my 920 went from 100 to 85 in a matter of three hours. This isn't nearly as horrible as some of you guys out there, but I never experienced this issue before the Portico update. I had these apps running in the background: Weather Channel, Weave, and WPCentral. But after blocking them I still get about a 2% drop every thirty minutes. NFC, Bluetooth, GPS, was off. Just Wifi. What gives? My sister's Iphone 4 only dropped 5% in 4 hours, and she was actually using hers. What's the point of having live tiles if it leaves your phone dead in a few hours?

I'm really trying to get past these issues and not join the rest of us who are ranting about their phone issues, but this is becoming really annoying. So, has anyone found a fix to this? I'm getting really disappointed with Microsoft, as this seems to be a software issue.

What apps do you have installed?

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Most used apps are:
WPCentral, Weave, Metrotube, IE10 and a couple of games. I also have Mixtapes, Paypal, eBay, and Craigslist. From what I've read none of these tend to drain the battery.

I uninstalled FB but I still have Nokia Drive, although it is blocked. The only other suspects are Locksider+ (blocked, not being used) and the email app, which is set to manual for Gmail and every 2 hours for Hotmail.

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh. 2% every thirty minutes? I would kill for that. I lose about 1% every couple minutes.

I'm trying really hard not to send this back. How was yours before the portico update? If it was good, just manually flash it back to the previous version.

I can't really say since my old one only had Portica for three days, but from what I observed it also suffered major drain issues after the update. What would happen is that the battery life would stay great percentage wise when not in use, but dropped drastically as soon as I started using it. I'm talking 87% to 63% with 30 minutes browsing (that one was particularly bad lol)

This doesn't seem to he the case with my replacement, which actually drops when its idle.

pdskep

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
My sister's Iphone 4 only dropped 5% in 4 hours, and she was actually using hers. What's the point of having live tiles if it leaves your phone dead in a few hours?

I've had mine drop only a few percent after 4 hours and other times it drains 15%/hour. It's very intermittent.

Your battery loss doesn’t sound all that bad. 4% per hour would give you a battery life of over 24 hours. You might try downloading a battery log app like ‘Battery Tile and Log’ to get a better idea how your battery drains.

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine drop only a few percent after 4 hours and other times it drains 15%/hour. It's very intermittent.

Your battery loss doesn?t sound all that bad. 4% per hour would give you a battery life of over 24 hours. You might try downloading a battery log app like ?Battery Tile and Log? to get a better idea how your battery drains.

I wouldn't mind, but this is idle, with everything disabled. Battery goes down even faster when I use it. For example in writing this through the WPcentral app. I've been on the app for ten minutes and already my battery dropped from 86 to 78

pdskep

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't mind, but this is idle, with everything disabled. Battery goes down even faster when I use it. For example in writing this through the WPcentral app. I've been on the app for ten minutes and already my battery dropped from 86 to 78
Turn on airplane mode and see what the drain is and use your phone. Without internet of course. Then turn on wifi etc...

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Just get another one. All of these phones are supposed to have superior battery life - ranging in the 72-96 hour range. If your phone isn't equipped with over a dozen radios and can't **** contract subsidies every 18 months...well you've got a dud.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
just got a replacement, been using a loaner from nokia for the last month and the battery on my replacement is not even close to what i get on my loaner. Hmm, maybe i should just keep the loaner...

Its only been one day though, but im at 20% already at 4 pm here. 4pm with my laoner i'd be at 50% or more.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Try a factory reset and manually install latest version as described in "flash" forum. Went from 7-9% pre and post Portico to 3-4% post factory reset. Portico only resolved random battery drain issues for me and with LTE, 3-4% is going to be about as good as it gets. May be better in 3g areas. ONLY improvement I've had is with factory reset. It's only been 5 days, but I have seen an considerable improvement. Your apps seem pretty much in line with mine except I have 3 MS accounts on push and I removed Gmail account a long time ago.

Why do I feel like I left BB and necessary tinkering only to end up tinkering on a WP?;) I am sold on WP but my next purchase will require no fixes. It better work out of the box or I may have to suffer through an iPhone.:/ Hope you find a solution that works.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm couple of questions ... Are you online ? (in the me tile ) , are you charging using wireless charging ?

BTW , ironically I noticed that turning on locations actually helps battery life (it seems the software loops the process of asking for your location)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077