Is it bad to leave your device charging overnight?

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I did it quite often with my last device, but I just wanted to make sure if it's bad for this one.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Won't hurt it a bit. Modern batteries control themselves and stop charging when full.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
And feel free to top up the charge as often as You can.

The only thing that will hurt the battery is draining it completely too often.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
yup I didn't know this early enough, my Focus battery could've lived much longer if I didn't think I have to drain it every time before charging. Topping off every time I charge my 920, charge it at home, at school, and in the car :D

ryansstuff

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
With wireless chargers is it okay to leave them on that as well? I watch my docking one from Nokia and after it has fully charged it flashes now and again on and off.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
I thought the wireless charger shut down when the 920 battery is fully charged.... either that or it just changes over to a trickle charge...

Regardless, been keeping my phones on the charger overnight for years without any issues.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
the wireless charger indeed turns off. when you first put your phone on it it has a white light, meaning it's charging. when phone is full the light will turn off. it will then turn back on from time to time to top the phone off again from the battery used while in standby.

Beltelmel

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
The Nokia Lumia 920 user manual states the following in the battery safety section:

When your charger is not in use, unplug it. Do not leave a fully charged battery connected to a charger, as overcharging may
shorten the battery’s lifetime.
If left unused, a fully charged battery will lose its charge over time.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Leaving a Lithium battery at 100% does shorten its life. I usually try to charge my batteries so that they reach full just before I need the device. With the type of battery in most phones the shortening appears to be less than what is often used in laptops.

I know that my 920 gets quite hot when on the wireless charger. On the pad for a couple hours gets the screen to ~32?C (90?F) and the back to ~41?C (106?F) according to my IR thermometer. In contrast, charging with the supplied wired charger the screen gets to only 25?C (77?F) and back to ~27?C (81?F). While this temp is within spec for most Lithium batteries the higher temperature causes the electrolyte to degrade much faster than at lower temps. The higher temps will cause the battery life to shorten much faster than sitting at 100% for the same time period.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Leaving a Lithium battery at 100% does shorten its life. I usually try to charge my batteries so that they reach full just before I need the device. With the type of battery in most phones the shortening appears to be less than what is often used in laptops.

I know that my 920 gets quite hot when on the wireless charger. On the pad for a couple hours gets the screen to ~32?C (90?F) and the back to ~41?C (106?F) according to my IR thermometer. In contrast, charging with the supplied wired charger the screen gets to only 25?C (77?F) and back to ~27?C (81?F). While this temp is within spec for most Lithium batteries the higher temperature causes the electrolyte to degrade much faster than at lower temps. The higher temps will cause the battery life to shorten much faster than sitting at 100% for the same time period.

:) It seems that if you disable wifi+tap +send +Bluetooth the phone will heat slightly at first and then it'll get naturally cool . (try it).

Fordx4

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I purchased something similar to this, Timer. I set it to turn on at 4:00am and by 6:00am when Im leaving the house its charged and didn't stay at 100% all night.

Jacob Vedharaj

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Please Start using Battery saver option available in Nokia lumia 920, I started to use this option and i am able to really save battery life.
Batter saver works like when you open any application then the application will be running in your device and no service or application runs at background and utilize your wifi or Data connection which ultimately reduce the usage of your batter power!! I am using this for the last 3 days!!

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree with beltelmel and the manual. i had even asked it here once.

Anyway, how about using those special power outlets that control power once the device reaches 100% charge? Like this one: Bracketron

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I did it quite often with my last device, but I just wanted to make sure if it's bad for this one.

The only thing that's bad is when you have a wireless charger next to your head on the night stand. And then it's bad for you, not the phone. The wireless chargers induce a strong electric field that you don't want acting on your body all night. The charging plate is able to charge the Lumia from several inches away - that says it all.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I do it all the time, but then again I also had my Focus S battery nearly light my pants on fire on the way home from Church, causing me to be truly tested in my "no foul words" rule.

Maybe I am not the best person to post on this thread......

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well I put mine on the charger every night and take it off on the morning. Use it all day, repeat. If it shortens the battery life a bit I don't care. I, as will most everyone else, upgrade my phone in a year or two so I don't care. The convience of an overnight charge is worth it. My phone is a tool to aid me in my life. Worrying about taking it off the charger the moment it gets to 100% is something that adds complexity to life, not simplifying it.

So for me, I'm not worrying about it. With my use it will likely last until the next upgrade and that's all I want. If it doesn't, well, time will tell and I will have learned a lesson to apply to my next phone. This has been my routine since my first smart phone I bought in 2003. Until then I chose to get on with life rather than worrying about the battery.

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank you everybody. I've always used Battery Saver since WP7. The downside of that is not being able to keep Wifi alive. I guess I'll try not to leave it overnight so often. That's probably what shortened the battery in the first phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)