Can't restore my 920 after a hard reset

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
As I understand it, after a reset, to restore your phone, you MUST enter your Live credentials during the initial setup process or it won't prompt you for a restore... Here's my problem.....

I have an unlocked Rogers 920 and I'm on Bell. The setup process doesn't allow you to connect to wifi BEFORE asking you this question, it only assumes that you have a sim card with a data plan.... Clearly they didn't think this through as there are a lot of people who travel and are on the road (roaming) and don't have the luxury of sucking hundreds of dollars in roaming charges..

Regardless, I'm not on the road right now and I have a data plan, BUT, my data plan won't work until I enter in the Bell APN information which I can't do during the setup process, meaning, as long as I have this 920, I will never be able to restore my phone from backup, essentially making the backup feature useless to me and many others..

The Lumia 920 is the only phone I've ever had that has made me enter the APN information with my sim card..

Anyone have any idea how I could work around this? I'm stuck with yet another problem on my 920 which requires a hard reset, and I really can't be bothered to re set everything up all over again.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

abelitin

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I'm on the same boat; only difference, I'm with Mobilicity.

So far I've had to manually restore everything, but I didn't have a lot of stuff the first few days so it was no big deal. Now, however, it's a pain.

Have you had any luck figuring out (maybe somewhere else)?

--
ARG

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
There was another post on similar situation. I don't remember where it was or if they found a solution but you may try searching forums. Good luck. Sorry I looked and couldn't find it on phone.

astroboy100

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I was in the same boat when I did a hard reset, as I don't have a data plan and couldn't connect to WiFi to get the backup to restore....not too well thought out Nokia...especially when it seems like you took non-data plan people in mind with your Nokia Music app and downloading offline streams. ;-)

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Anyone by chance figure out a solution to this? I'm stuck here again since I have to send my 920 in for warranty service.. So annoyed that the backup/restore feature is so terribly implemented on Windows Phone :(

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Don't think you can do anything about this

Hopefully Microsoft fixes the whole backup and restore feature in a future update.

If it's one thing I loved about my blackberry was the backup and restore. Phone was practically the same.

aafolabi

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I found a work around of some sort.
I found that the phone tries to connect using settings compatible with the network the phone was originally locked to, even if the phone is unlocked. So if you can get a simcard from the original network that would get you through the first stage of the backup process then you can connect to wifi later on. In my case I got a free pay as you go simcard and put on ?5 of credit.

Hope this helps somebody

belgiantrotter

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
same issue for me
seriously has this ever been tested by MS & Nokia teams. what moron develops such things...

no restore option in settings
no restore over wifi

now I'm stuck with a "new" phone, all settings "gone"

what a bunch of geniuses work at nokia & MS... seriously it's these details that are getting to me day after day even though I'm staying a strong believer of the platform...

***sigh*** pffffff

Kjeld Pedersen

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Still no updates from Microsoft....

Problem
Phone had a muffle sound, wanted to use the backup feature on the new phone I received.

Solution

Here is the crazy thing I had to go to,

I had to call my friend with an ATT sim card with a data plan so I could retrieve my backup, because wifi doesn't work, and this app only works when first booting the phone.

Also it had to be an ATT sim card with data plan even though I purchase this phone unlocked but due to contracts between Att and Nokia the phone has to be locked for up to 5 months, did they tell me that when i bought the phone? of course not...

I had to replace my phone because a muffled voice, which i still believe is software related, they gave me a new one, after a week waiting because ATT won't do it for I'm no longer with them so it went through nokia.

Talking about must stars must be aligned in order to have this tool work...
I want this Windows Os and nokia to succeed but come'n... you guys are ruining the great things you've accomplished.

Seriously get your act together microsoft, you lose a customer everytime this happens...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99